Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is NVME U.2 SSD suitable for use at personal pc?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Is NVME U.2 SSD suitable for use at personal pc?

More durable than m2 SSDs, with a lower failure rate. The disadvantage is that you need a mid-range or high-end motherboard to enjoy PCIE 4.0x4 and additional fans for cooling. I bought a second-hand PM9A3, it's great, 3.84TB only costs $170 and the Health Status is 100%. What is your opinion on this?

Comments

• LexLex Member

@saobilin said: More durable than m2 SSDs

I think you underestimate the endurance of an SSD. My computer is fully Samsung SSDs (sata and nvme) and I use it for 16 hours/day. I download torrents (heavily, legal content only!) on SSDs and they're yet to reach any kind of critical levels.

I like to consider myself a pretty heavy user, if you're an occasional user... a regular M2 will be moooore than enough.

Regarding the PCIE3/PCIE4/PCIE5, again, very less likely you'll personally feel or notice a difference. Benchmarks, yes, normal use, no.

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@saobilin said: I bought a second-hand PM9A3, it's great, 3.84TB only costs $170 and the Health Status is 100%. What is your opinion on this

If you already bought it and works in your system, then sure it is great. I wouldn't go out of my way to build a system that supports it though, regular (NVMe) SSDs have enough endurance for most regular users.

Thanked by 1saobilin
  • Don't know what you mean "personal pc" here but NVMe is good enough imho.

• bootboot Member

They're all going to laugh at your personal pc anyways. They can't see what's on the inside, and that's what really matters.

Thanked by 1saobilin
  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 11

Thanked by 1saobilin
  • @saobilin said:
    More durable than m2 SSDs, with a lower failure rate. The disadvantage is that you need a mid-range or high-end motherboard to enjoy PCIE 4.0x4 and additional fans for cooling. I bought a second-hand PM9A3, it's great, 3.84TB only costs $170 and the Health Status is 100%. What is your opinion on this?

Nothing bad will happen to you, but it's overkill. If you're using any sort of adapter, [chances are] it will fail before the drive.