Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From $14.95/yr - 10 Gbps - SSD - New Jersey / Los Angeles / Miami - OpenVZ - Many payment methods!
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

From $14.95/yr - 10 Gbps - SSD - New Jersey / Los Angeles / Miami - OpenVZ - Many payment methods!

EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

### SPECIAL OFFER: Reply to this topic with your order number and we'll add an extra month of service for no added cost! ###

Ethernet Servers has been in business since September 2013.

Our VPS plans are OpenVZ 7 powered and available in New Jersey (64.31.14.238), Los Angeles (64.31.6.238) and Miami (64.31.17.238) and live in the Equinix data center (NJ, LA) and Digital Realty (FL) facilities.

We accept a very wide range of payment methods!

$14.95/yr - ORDER NOW

• 40 GB Pure-SSD Storage Space (RAID-10)
  • 1 GB DDR4 Dedicated RAM
  • Unmetered Inbound Bandwidth
  • 1,000 GB Outbound Bandwidth (per month)
  • 10 Gbps Uplink
  • 1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
  • 1 CPU Core (Intel Xeon E5-2650 v4)
  • 5 Gbps DDoS Protection
  • TUN/TAP, PPP, Docker, FUSE, GRE & IPSec Available

$19.95/yr - ORDER NOW

• 80 GB Pure-SSD Storage Space (RAID-10)
  • 2 GB DDR4 Dedicated RAM
  • 2,000 GB Outbound Bandwidth (per month)
  • 10 Gbps Uplink
  • 5 Gbps DDoS Protection

$24.95/yr - ORDER NOW

• 100 GB Pure-SSD Storage Space (RAID-10)
  • 3 GB DDR4 Dedicated RAM
  • 3,000 GB Outbound Bandwidth (per month)
  • 10 Gbps Uplink
  • 5 Gbps DDoS Protection

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.

Thank you

Thanked by 2Carlin0 amaeva080

Comments

• jjboxjjbox Member

Ethernet Servers is a very stable and excellent provider. If you need one go for it

• cbhatcbhat Member

Hi.. Do you have something more substantial ?

4/8vCPU 8/16Gn RAM ?

• Ahhh I want KVM

• @lowendclient said:
    Ahhh I want KVM

What are the practical differences between OpenVZ and KVM?

• Bandwidth is too small

• @JosephF said:

@lowendclient said:
    Ahhh I want KVM

I can change kernel under KVM, it is a full virtualization compares to kernel virtualizations OVZ/LXC.

• @JosephF said:

@lowendclient said:
    Ahhh I want KVM

With KVM, you can install your distro of choice, and secure it properly.

With OpenVZ, you're limited to whatever templates they have that have been bodged together to work with the shared kernel. And you cannot add kernel parameters to secure your system and improve performance and improve reliability.

Also, there are theoretical exploits to OpenVZ for users to be able to escape their little sandbox and see other users' files, as it's all just files on the host filesystem (which also means that a nefarious admin can trivially see everything on your server without you having any idea of that, whereas KVM they either need to duplicate your disk and boot with that attached or they need to restart your VM for the same effect). I don't know if these exploits are actually actively exploited as I do not follow that technology closely anymore...

Why don't I follow OpenVZ anymore? Because it's effectively dead. Their latest kernel is based on Linux Kernel 2.6.32 and was released in June 2020. Almost all of my KVM VPSes that I have run on 5.14.21 (that's what my distro of choice has shipped for a couple of releases now), while the ones I use hardest are on 6.6.x (depending on their update/reboot policies... I have one on 6.6.10 right now... which is precisely one behind upstream as of this moment). Realistically, this means a lot of modern software will attempt to use features that are only in newer kernels: 2.6.32 went EOL 8 years ago (Feb 2016). Nevermind the various security flaws discovered in the past decade that almost certainly have not been fully patched in the OpenVZ kernels.

Providers continuing to offer OpenVZ instead of some modern containerized approach are doing their clueless customers a disservice on many fronts. From security to functionality. But hey the customer's always right, right? And they're demanding OpenVZ. So gotta offer them the shitty stuff they ask for rather than try to find a better answer that's not past its shelf life! -.-

• @lewellyn Why is the customer demanding OpenVZ?

• amjamj Member
    edited January 11

@lewellyn said:
    Why don't I follow OpenVZ anymore? Because it's effectively dead. Their latest kernel is based on Linux Kernel 2.6.32 and was released in June 2020.

Kernel 2.6.32 is OpenVZ 6, not 7.
    And EthernetServers uses kernel 4.19.

• @JosephF said:
    @lewellyn Why is the customer demanding OpenVZ?

I wouldn't know. Ask them.

@amj said:

@lewellyn said:
    Why don't I follow OpenVZ anymore? Because it's effectively dead. Their latest kernel is based on Linux Kernel 2.6.32 and was released in June 2020.

Nothing in their wiki indicates a newer version than 2.6.32 is available that I see, not even the versions on the main page: https://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

• Also, I'm not saying EthernetServers is wrong or that the offer sucks or anything like that. That pricing is attractive and I've heard good things about them. I'm saying the customers wanting OpenVZ in 2024 are in the wrong, not the providers catering to demand. :)

• amjamj Member

@lewellyn said:

@amj said:

@lewellyn said:

Nothing in their wiki indicates a newer version than 2.6.32 is available that I see, not even the versions on the main page: https://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

https://wiki.openvz.org/Releases

OpenVZ 6 died in 2019.
    OpenVZ 7 will be dead within a half year due to EOL of RHEL7, but not now.

• @amj said:

@lewellyn said:

@amj said:

@lewellyn said:

https://wiki.openvz.org/Releases

OpenVZ 6 died in 2019.
    OpenVZ 7 will be dead within a half year due to EOL of RHEL7, but not now.

Huh good to know, I guess. Weird that the software releases sidebar and their Kernels page don't mention anything about OpenVZ 7 even existing tho.

• Yeah OpenVZ is dead in my opinion, LXC/D is much better and better supported.