Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Brother's Looking for an Excellent Deal & Support & My own experience with VPS Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Brother's Looking for an Excellent Deal & Support & My own experience with VPS Hosting

HAMSWHAMSW Member
edited January 9 in Requests

Hello LowEndTalk!

First Post! Happy to be here, community seems to be great and the deals are insane as of lately!

I've been banging my head against my laptop for the past couple of weeks doing research for the "Best deal ever", endless spreadsheets of specs. and pricing :neutral:

And after being done with that, Got my brother interested (He's on a reseller plan from inmotionhosting with 160 GB NVMe storage and crappy performance, cPanel & WHM Included tho and about "3 GB RAM per cPanel account" or so says customer support) currently hosting 35 websites, with a total of "assigned quotas" of about 73 GB

Bare Minimum Spec. and Max. Budget (higher specs and better pricing preferred) :
-> AT LEAST:
4-Cores/8-Threads (8 Cores or better Preferred)
16 GB of RAM (24 GB or better being DDR4 or better Preferred, DDR3 Acceptable)
100 or 120 GB of SSD (Bigger & NVMe Storage Preferred)
1 Gbps Port (10 Gbps Highly Preferred)
1 TB Bandwidth (TBH this isn't a problem at all -> Actual usage is below 100Gig)
VPS Hosting is acceptable (Dedicated is Preferred)

Maximum Budget $30/Month, $48/Month if cPanel/WHM included

SUPPORT & REPUTATION WILL MAKE OR BREAK THE DEAL

Providers are welcome to make multiple offers (i.e. 1 for VPS and the other for Dedicated) & community is welcome and encouraged to recommend with a short version of their personal experience

Thanks for your time everyone and for your help to a newbie :smile:

Comments

• HAMSWHAMSW Member
    edited January 9

Sharing my personal experience,

Bought a VPS from SSDNodes.com with the following spec.

12x Intel Silver vCPU
        1.2TB NVMe
        64GB RAM
        32TB Network Transfer
        KVM Virtualization

and the following customization:

Rocky Linux 9.3 with Webmin/Virtualmin as a Control Panel 
    [Had to configure manually of course, wasn't that big of a hassle with root access/VNC viewer]
        Frankfurt/Germany as Server Location
        1 IPv4 & 1 IPv6 assigned
        Cloudflare as the DNS resolver
        No Snapshots (Backups)

Went for the 3-Year Plan at about $400, Boy I hope I don't regret that (Probably will), about $615 for renewal after the 3-Year period passes.

Performance is great BUT this is to be very expected as I have only 1 website hosted there up until now.

Support is responsive on front page chat usually a couple of minutes or so (sales inclined but they might occasionally help with some google searches and provide you with links of tutorials) but they take about a day to answer actual support tickets and seem to be very weak on the technical side of things to be honest even though you can reach them after a couple of minutes on front page chat and the same people answer the support tickets by the way. LOL! and yeah you're pretty much you're on your own on getting things setup and working as intended (or close to that at least)... That's to be expected for "self-managed" so it's fine, right ? but I haven't experienced any downtime (I've subscribed only 2 months ago) to measure their support's quality and give a fully valid review)

I've seen mixed reviews on the internet, Some good, Usually very bad reviews of performance degradation and other really bad things to be perfectly honest! [Really hope I've encountered those before the end of the 14-day money back period.]

And they seem to have inclined users to make good reviews for them with e-mails of promised $ credit to user accounts (which they seem to deliver) but this is such an unethical way of doing things and makes you doubt that even more.

That's all for my own experience, will update with any new info.

You're very welcome to share your own experience with them and other providers.

I'll be reading each one of the comments!

Hope you all a great year! :smile:

• All the best

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 9

Any location preferences?

We can offer this configuration in Frankfurt:

Node 32GB G2
    8 EPYC Cores / 32GB DDR4 ECC 3200 / 280GB Datacenter NVMe / 10 Gbit/s uplink
    1x IPv4 + /56 IPv6

21€ per month

Daily offsite backup + 5 free Snapshots included

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • @HAMSW said:
    Hello LowEndTalk!

First Post! Happy to be here, community seems to be great and the deals are insane as of lately!

I've been banging my head against my laptop for the past couple of weeks doing research for the "Best deal ever", endless spreadsheets of specs. and pricing :neutral:

And after being done with that, Got my brother interested (He's on a reseller plan from inmotionhosting with 160 GB NVMe storage and crappy performance, cPanel & WHM Included tho and about "3 GB RAM per cPanel account" or so says customer support) currently hosting 35 websites, with a total of "assigned quotas" of about 73 GB

Bare Minimum Spec. and Max. Budget (higher specs and better pricing preferred) :
    -> AT LEAST:
    1 TB Bandwidth (TBH this isn't a problem at all -> Actual usage is below 100Gig)

Providers are welcome to make multiple offers (i.e. 1 for VPS and the other for Dedicated) & community is welcome and encouraged to recommend with a short version of their personal experience

Hello
    welcome to LET.

DEDICATED SERVER
    Intel Xeon E3-1270v5
    32GB DDR4 ECC RAM
    240GB SSD or 120GB SSD NVMe PCIe
    2TB @ 1Gbps
    1 IPv4, 1 IPv6

$30/month VAT incl.

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 9

Without knowing how big the websites are, the listed specs sound very overkill. We have a offer going for AMD Ryzen 5950X VPS which sounds very suitable for you:

3 vCore AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    8 GB DDR5 ECC RAM
    300 GB NVMe Gen4 Storage
    20000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 Gbps
    1 IPv4 & IPv6/64 included
    1 Backup slot included
    €7.5/month.

You can stack it to get for example

6 vCore AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
    16 GB DDR5 ECC RAM
    600 GB NVMe Gen4 Storage
    40000 GB Bandwidth @ 1 Gbps
    €15/month

Available in Falkenstein, Germany.

https://my.hostbrr.com/order/main/packages/DecemBRR/?group_id=55&currency=EUR

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member
    edited January 9

@labze said:

16 GB DDR5 ECC RAM
    600 GB NVMe Gen4 Storage
    €15/month

Sounds like a very good deal but how do we "stack it" is it simple to do or very complicated ? we might be willing to stack it 3x or 4x i.e. 12 vCores, 32 GB RAM, 1.2 TB NVMe & 80 TB Bandwidth at €30/month, will you provide guidance ? :smile:

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

@HAMSW said:

@labze said:

16 GB DDR5 ECC RAM
    600 GB NVMe Gen4 Storage
    €15/month

Sounds like a very good deal but how do we "stack it" is it simple to do or very complicated ? we might be willing to stack it 3x or 4x i.e. 12 vCores, 32 GB RAM, 1.2 TB NVMe & 80 TB Bandwidth at €30/month, will you provide guidance ? :smile:

Just open a ticket and I'll setup a custom invoice for it :)

Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • benchbench Member
    Thanked by 1HAMSW
  • HAMSWHAMSW Member

Please put information about server location and maybe an IP to use for ping testing.

Also mention how active is the support if possible :smile:

• @HAMSW said:
    Hello LowEndTalk!

-> AT LEAST:

What do you mean with excellent support?
    If you are searching for a fast answering support which will fix your errors in a pre-defined time, then go for a managed hosting and you won't find that for 30€ per month

• HAMSWHAMSW Member

What do you mean with excellent support?
    If you are searching for a fast answering support which will fix your errors in a pre-defined time, then go for a managed hosting and you won't find that for 30€ per month

Meant actually helpful support overall, Straight-forward with the details about any issues that occur and highly reputable for their uptime, infrastructure and way of doing things.

• This plus: https://www.google.com/search?q=hetzner+test to check download speed and even ping.

I usually test my Internet connection by downloading their files lol.

And no, this is not LMGFY. That search returns a list of most, if not all, Hetzner test servers.