Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on buying a server
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Advice on buying a server

brqbrq Member

Hello, i'm planning to buy a server to use on my housing plan from a local provider, i will mainly use the server to host my own websites ( i don't mind offering virtual servers for friends ) , the thing is, i have 0 experience and i have never purchased a server before, do you guys recommend any good cheap options? ( i don't mind buying used servers )

Comments

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

Hello @brq from what country are you from? Or from what region? We have more old servers what we want to sell

Regards,
    Calin

• defaultdefault Veteran
    edited January 8

@brq said:
    Hello, i'm planning to buy a server to use on my housing plan from a local provider, i will mainly use the server to host my own websites ( i don't mind offering virtual servers for friends ) , the thing is, i have 0 experience and i have never purchased a server before, do you guys recommend any good cheap options? ( i don't mind buying used servers )

First make a plan about what you need with regards to complexity, load, and popularity of your websites.

Next, if you don't need a server (because for example websites are not that huge), just grab a hosting plan. This way you get to focus on managing the the website, while the platform underneath (server, network, applications) are managed by the provider.

Don't buy a server if you don't need it. Use that extra money to do something different to improve your websites or their popularity.

If you really need a server, simply open a thread here with precise specifications, and providers will answer with offers.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • EthernetServersEthernetServers Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 8

Have a look at https://cloudninjas.com/

Scott is a pleasure to work with. Worth shooting an email over with your requirements and seeing what they can offer.

• If you have no experience with running servers and want to try learning the ropes, start learning with a cheap VPS. Some of the $10/year VPSes that are floating around might be a good place to start with very little money upfront. Once you outgrow it, you can upgrade to a larger VPS or even jump straight to a dedicated server.

• @brq said:

What are you looking for? A refurbished server would be the best for you but what’s your budget? I guess under €500?
    in EU or USA?

• bootboot Member
    edited January 8

Don't listen to any of the above ideas.

A: Never make plans or backups. They always get screwed up anyways, so just skip this step.

B: Buy a bare-metal server with 64GB rams, 100TB dik and unmetered bandwidth.

C. Idle the fucc outta it like the pros.

D. Profit.

E. After 29 days, put in a PayPal refund request.

F. Rinse and repeat.

Thanked by 2yoursunny host_c
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@boot said:
    Don't listen to any of the above ideas.

A: Never make plans or backups. They always get screwed up anyways, so just skip this step.

B: Buy a bare-metal server with 64GB rams, 100TB dik and unmetered bandwidth.

C. Idle the fucc outta it like the pros.

D. Profit.

E. After 29 days, put in a PayPal refund request.

F. Rinse and repeat.

Make sure you use a different email and different PayPal account for each order, so that FraudRecord can't catch up with you.

Thanked by 1boot
  • henixhenix Member

The best advice that i can give you is NOT to buy anything

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 8

@boot said: C. Idle the fucc outta it like the pros.

Definitely love this part. More IDLE more PRO! :D

@brq

Even you started the thread like a pro.

Guy walks into a car dealership that sells from EV to Pickup, al the brands that exist.

Sales Agent: Hello, how may I help
    Customer: I want a "car"
    Sales Agent: What type of car? Pickup, 4x4, Sedan, EV?
    Customer: a car
    Sales Agent: shoots himself, or the customer, did not figure that part out yet. :D

@brq

I am just kidding :D , but seriously, give us some specs, what you wish to do, as others said, a VPS might be way better and cheaper, but it depends on the use case scenario, please define the "car" :)

• @brq said:

What exactly do you need - a vps or a dedi? How many websites do you want to host and what's your location?

• jordijordi Member, Patron Provider

@aakashmishra007 said:

@brq said:

What exactly do you need - a vps or a dedi? How many websites do you want to host and what's your location?

Look for a physical dedicated server, you can indicate your budget if they can advise you

If you do not have knowledge, I think you should not buy, first train yourself, learn and take the next step.

:smile: