Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pulling the plug for your side projects
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Pulling the plug for your side projects

LeviLevi Member

Today I nulled my long created project. 4 servers gone down, codebase archived. It was on idle for 1 year. No one seems needed it. It was about premium Wordpress hosting. Custom billing and deploy scripts, no dependency on commercial panels.

I feel somewhat sad. So much time poured into it, money and expectations.

Who else recently voided their side project(s)? Why?

Comments

• DazzleDazzle Member

What is the name of your project?

Thanked by 1greentea
  • AndrewsAndrews Member
    edited January 7

@Levi said:
    Who else recently voided their side project(s)?

some romanian wannabe provider just abandoned his DC and customers

@Levi said:
    Why?

gf

• BlaZeBlaZe Member, Host Rep

@Levi said:
    Custom billing and deploy scripts, no dependency on commercial panels.

You could've maybe sold the code to some existing company or partnered up with some maybe.

Not exactly projects but domains I bought for projects which were never started.

Why? coz no time :(

Thanked by 1greentea
  • raza19raza19 Veteran

@Levi said:
    Today I nulled my long created project. 4 servers gone down, codebase archived. It was on idle for 1 year. No one seems needed it. It was about premium Wordpress hosting. Custom billing and deploy scripts, no dependency on commercial panels.

Don't be disheartened. Road to success is paved with many failures.

• emghemgh Member
    edited January 7

I have. Almost completely. To the point where I consider starting something up.

I’ve been very productive my whole life, but never persistant (so it’s probably not the same thing as you, since you've been at it for years, it sounded like)

Started things, sold or yeeted them, and so it just went on and on

Later, due to many different factors combined, I got a grip on things, got rid of everything, shut down my company, and focused only on my main occupation (what exactly that has been/was have varied)

Now, I'm very careful starting things. I have a big list of requirements in my head (about the time that it would need, the monthly costs I'm okay with, the chances of it actually leading to some kind of success, etc) - and so far the only thing that I've gone ahead and started since has been a second company (my only now, apart from where I work) where I sell hosting + my experience and my code knowledge in one package, to summarize it

The one thing I've learnt is that if you're productive and ambitious, try to limit yourself. Really think through if something's worth it, because no body has an unlimited capacity, and all time spent on one thing, means less time to come up and do other things. Of course, even "failed" stuff might provide a lot of experience, but it's true nonetheless, spend time where time is worth being spent (I consistently remind myself of this)

Thanked by 1raza19
  • loayloay Member

Why the name change!!

• VoidVoid Member

Always happens. For me, the side projects are no longer fun once the difficult part is figured out

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

I would like to note: If anyone has some interesting side projects that they do not feel like continuing -> get in touch. I may be interested in acquiring them.

• LeviLevi Member
    edited January 7

@SGraf said:
    I would like to note: If anyone has some interesting side projects that they do not feel like continuing -> get in touch. I may be interested in acquiring them.

You will rarely see well documented such projects. And without proper docs you will buy a bowl of spaghetti.

Thanked by 2tentor bench
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@Levi said:

@SGraf said:

You will rarely see well documented such projects. And without proper docs you will buy a bowl of spaghetti.

I do have some experience wit that sort of thing. But yeah, things can be interesting at times. That is why i wrote "i may be". Because those things deserve looking into on a case by case basis.

• edited January 7

Not really voided but i've months and months of work lying around where i'm 99.999% sure it'll never get finished. Maybe if someday i'm totally bored out of my mind (unlikely) i might pick it up again but chances are that day will just never come and for most of those things i've made peace with this idea.

Thanked by 2t0m PineappleM
  • LeviLevi Member

@totally_not_banned said:
    Not really voided but i've months and months of work lying around where i'm 99.999% sure it'll never get finished. Maybe if someday i'm totally bored out of my mind (unlikely) i might pick it up again but chances are that day will just never come and for most of those things i've made peace with this idea.

Eternal procrastination. Damn, that's very toxic for your mental health. Be careful, it may become neverending circle of self-torture.

• edited January 7

@Levi said:

@totally_not_banned said:

Eternal procrastination. Damn, that's very toxic for your mental health. Be careful, it may become neverending circle of self-torture.

Do you think? I don't really see never being bored as being much of a bad thing. It's simply a sad fact that when you pick up huge projects that might perfectly match your interests but are really rather low priority chances are that more important things will get in the way sooner or later and when you actually could get back to it like a year later there might already be way more interesting things to do. I mean, hey, it was low priority after all. I have pretty much stopped starting overly large projects mostly based on personal amusement though as by now i know fairly well what their most likely fate is.

• bootboot Member

1 year idling is a success in my books.

• DazzleDazzle Member

@Levi said:

Do you plan to open source it?

Maybe if you can't sell it to customers, you could sell it to service provider.

I started something similar before and failed, but my product never launched, not meeting my standards. Close to my previous project is Enhance.com.

I thought about using Enhance, but don't like their pricing scheme, not to mention some missing features that I need.

• RadiRadi Host Rep, Veteran

@Dazzle said:

@Levi said:

Do you plan to open source it?

I am very interested in that codebase as well.

• Sounds like there are people on here who may be willing to pay-to-acquire your project.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

Too late, OP already rm -rf'd the project.