Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How to choose a data center location for a small website: US or EU?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

How to choose a data center location for a small website: US or EU?

NebesNebes Member

If the ratio of European and American visitors is nearly the same, which data center is better for hosting a small website: US or EU?

Comments

• phinphin Member

From my experience, EU tends to be cheaper.

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

Choose your location based on your target audience. Where do you expect the most traffic/users from?

Regards

• East coast US has best balance to serve both EU and NA visitors. Something like Ashburn or New York.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • SkelterSkelter Member
    edited January 5

@Nebes said:
    If the ratio of European and American visitors is nearly the same, which data center is better for hosting a small website: US or EU?

Depends on your point of view, Europe has much tighter laws regarding data privacy. Might be a good thing or bad.

Regarding price, Europe varies wildly, anything Switzerland will be expensive af, but you get good prices on this side as well. From what i've seen, US is cheaper.

PS: I am a privacy advocate, i prefer Europe for that reason alone.

• emghemgh Member
    edited January 5

I'd say New York or London probably

But if latency really matters, get a CDN

And if it dosen't, even NL or anything EU or US central is fine if you can get it for cheaper

• _MS__MS_ Member

AMS (not to be confused with AWS).

• @emgh said:

And if it dosen't, even NL or anything EU or US central is fine if you can get it for cheaper

Curious why you mention London and not Amsterdam or Frankfurt ?

• kaitkait Member
    edited January 5

@bgerard said: Curious why you mention London and not Amsterdam or Frankfurt ?

NL = Amsterdamn and EU central = Frankfurt you absolute [removed by mods]

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • emghemgh Member

@bgerard said:

@emgh said:

Curious why you mention London and not Amsterdam or Frankfurt ?

Honestly, for a website, dosen't matter

But London is good for EU & US

Thanked by 1bgerard
  • Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 5

Host it in two places - One in the US and one in the EU. Use GeoIP or Anycast to send users to the right one. If it's a small site that isn't too complex and has no (or very minimal) dynamic content then you should be able to just stick it on a CDN (e.g. using Bunny Storage) - then it'll be fast for everyone.

• emghemgh Member

@Daniel15 said:
    Host it in two places - One in the US and one in the EU. Use GeoIP or Anycast to send users to the right one. If it's a small site that isn't too complex and has no (or very minimal) dynamic content then you should be able to just stick it on a CDN (e.g. using Bunny Storage) - then it'll be fast for everyone.

Honestly, a small not too complex website hosted in the US is fast from the EU

No reason to overcomplicate stuff

Thanked by 1risharde
  • labzelabze Member, Patron Provider

This might be a wrong take, but if the ratio of visitors and Europe is the same then I'd host on the east coast in USA. Generally European countries has a better connection than USA and thus would be less likely to notice the slight increase in latency.

• SirNeoSirNeo Member

If the website is not big chose a hosting in EU (Amsterdam) if is quite big EU+US=CDN

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited January 5

@emgh said:

@Daniel15 said:

Honestly, a small not too complex website hosted in the US is fast from the EU

No reason to overcomplicate stuff

That's true.

CDNs (at least push CDNs) can often reduce complexity though, since you just need to upload the files, which can be done automatically using a build script. No need to configure your own server.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • For a small website is doesn't matter.
    For a small ecommerce website use a CDN to serve the images or something like Shopify and call it a day.