Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Today it's about backups
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Today it's about backups

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited January 3 in Offers

Hello, friends!

I'm in a period where I'm doing my best for the satisfaction of my customers, trying to add as much value as possible.

Currently all customers who have SSD space at HAZI.ro get a free daily backup which is kept on a separate server, but in the same location.

In order to raise the level of satisfaction I was thinking of renting an external server on which to host my customers' backups.

Here comes the most interesting part.

I want to see how much confidence you have in your hosting provider by answering the poll below :)

Personally, I would like the option where I can choose what to back up myself, but I doubt that most customers know how to automate their backups.

Thank you!

*** Wrong section, @Arkas please move it to offtopic/help. Thank you!

Question
  1. What kind of backup do you find more attractive?51 votes
    1. Remote Backup as a VM-mounted partition where I choose what/when to upload
      17.65%
    2. Remote Backup of the entire VM, but be able to verify that it exists
      54.90%
    3. Local backup of the entire VM, I have my own backups anyway
      27.45%

Comments

• ZyraZyra Member

thats nice

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • t0mt0m Member

Remote Backup of the entire VM, but be able to verify that it exists and know that its kept secure (no (public) access via internet and encrypted data).
    4th option: No backup, I have my own backups anyway

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • yusrayusra Member

@FlorinMarian said: I was thinking of renting an external server on which to host my customers' backups.

Is it going to cost extra for your customers?
    Since you posted in LET, I'm curious as the economical justifiability of such decisions.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • snorkssnorks Member

I think it's great that you're doing this. From a user perspective, protecting us is always something that is appreciated and hopefully translates into a longer relationship between the provider and the user.

As a technical guy, if I have to rely on you to perform backups, I'm being stupid, lazy and playing roulette with my data.

Although, looking for an affordable, cheap storage on Canadian soil is not panning out well. I'm probably being too low in my budget of wanting storage of 100GB-150GB for $2 CAD, without having any charges for ingress/egress. In the mean time, I'm backing up my paltry 7MB worth of compressed and gpg'd data to google drive.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • bootboot Member

notepad.exe

• snorkssnorks Member

@yusra said:

@FlorinMarian said: I was thinking of renting an external server on which to host my customers' backups.

Is it going to cost extra for your customers?
    Since you posted in LET, I'm curious as the economical justifiability of such decisions.

Since it is posted in LET, agreements between some of the VPS/Storage providers could benefit each other.

X amount of backup data hosted on their site, likewise in return. But, that's pipe dream.

You'd need to make sure the data centers were in the same country if the customer had some sort of geographical requirement.

Then, you would want to figure out if you need to encrypt it or not.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Most will use own backups, we offer the backup service for free, 1 slot, and barely no one uses it.

Having a 100TB PROX backup server just idle-in for that.

I presume this is your problem, since you offer backups to some of your plans

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • to be honest I go for the bottom of the barrel. I'm fine with whatever you do, as long as you provide the lowest end options. backups I can put on a one time $7 sdcard and swallow it for funsies. monthly prices are what I care for

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • mad_4umad_4u Member
    edited January 3

I don't rely on Provider even if they provide it for free I don't use it.

Anything could happen between me and the provider leads to my seevice suspension, most of provider they wont provide the backup if they suspend the account or terminate it, it's safer for me to use my own Backup.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • Prefer no provider backup, anything else has an air of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_now,_decrypt_later

• snorkssnorks Member

@darkimmortal said:
    Prefer no provider backup, anything else has an air of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_now,_decrypt_later

Any one of the VPS providers people could be doing that now, without knowledge.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@darkimmortal said:
    Prefer no provider backup, anything else has an air of https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harvest_now,_decrypt_later

Did you know that you are generally afraid of people's actions because if you were them you would do exactly what you are afraid of?

My customers do not host a banking system or a military base, I hope.

Then the backups are daily, I can't afford to host more than one per VM anyway.

• Personally, to back up servers with provider X I never use resources with the same provider. I always use some service or storage that has nothing to do with that provider to be able o recover if they go south.

• @snorks said:

@darkimmortal said:

Any one of the VPS providers people could be doing that now, without knowledge.

Aye for sure, but I like the warm fuzzy feeling of a provider that can’t afford to offer backups and is mature/large enough to leave nodes alone and not pull FDE keys out of ram

Its nice to live in a delusion that cat /dev/urandom > /dev/vda will do what it says on the tin without backups or CoW getting in the way

• remyremy Member

Remote backup, with possibility to download it (QCOW2, LVM)
    It makes life easier.

• Some providers like BinaryLane allow backups to be stored in a user-provided S3 bucket (or any S3-compatible storage) if you want to. That's a nice approach for customers thay want to use it.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

"We have backup."

"We can show you the backup exists."

A problem occurred on the communication between billing panel and VPS panel.
    The VPS is wrongfully terminated.

"Where's the backup?"
    "Unfortunately, when the VPS is terminated, all its backups are automatically deleted from the system immediately. Your data is permanently lost."

Thanked by 1mad_4u
  • VoidVoid Member

Daily backup, hourly backup, offsite backup, intergalactic backup, Ovh blood IP, anonymous signup….none really cares. No amount of such gimmicks will earn you any customer confidence especially once you go BaseEnd. Better provide unsustainable offers and Deadpool than simply Deadpool.

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited January 4

no need for backup. backup should always be customer responsibility. backing up process slows down drive performance affecting customer experience.

provider responsibility is to ensure node uptime is 99.999% by using quality hardware with proper drives and RAID protection to ensure data reliability and longer MTBF.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@cybertech said:
    no need for backup. backup should always be customer responsibility. backing up process slows down drive performance affecting customer experience.

provider responsibility is to ensure node uptime is 99.999% by using quality hardware with proper drives and RAID protection to ensure data reliability and longer MTBF.

Not when you have incremental backups and the bottleneck is on the server that the backups are written to, not the disk that the data is read from.
    The fact that 6 different servers are writing data to the same backup server in parallel makes the I/O operation dose per VM constant and small enough that it doesn't affect the services running real time on client VMs.

• cpsdcpsd Member

I have my own backups but I love when providers make a full vps backup in their system.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • emghemgh Member
    edited January 4

I do full snapshots and having those are nice

My recovery plan (unless everything goes tits up) dosen’t have to consist of setting up the basics

Instead, I can restore from daily backup and restore only certain folders and/or databases from a more recent backup, making the process a whole lot quicker

For that, making full snapshots more reliable is always nice

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian