Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VNstat inaccurate? Alternatives?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VNstat inaccurate? Alternatives?

risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran
edited January 3 in Help

Hi everyone! I discovered vnstat which is supposed to help keep track of network traffic transfer per interface but it isn't accurately counting my kvm vm network interfaces for some odd reason (vnetX via libvirt). Do you guys know of anything else that would be a similar replacement? I am curious as well to know if you experienced a similar issue with vnstat and if you were able to fix it. I really like how simple vnstat is in theory. Please let me know, thanks!

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I'm using nload [<interface name], it works like a charm:)

Thanked by 1risharde
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

@FlorinMarian said:
    I'm using nload [<interface name], it works like a charm:)

Thanks @FlorinMarian, does this keep track of monthly transfer? That's what I am looking for - sorry if I wasn't clear. I'll read up more on nload thanks for the suggestion!

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@risharde said:
    Hi everyone! I discovered vnstat which is supposed to help keep track of network traffic per interface but it isn't accurately counting my kvm vm network interfaces for some odd reason (vnetX via libvirt). Do you guys know of anything else that would be a similar replacement? I am curious as well to know if you experienced a similar issue with vnstat and if you were able to fix it. I really like how simple vnstat is in theory. Please let me know, thanks!

My Setup integrates with librenms. (Librenms pulls the data from the hypervisors via snmp. This however requires you to have predicatable interface names/.... for vm's you provision.

For me this was easy as all my vm provisioning is done a billing module i wrote that suits my needs. That said, i am not sure if the setup/software you are using would allow for that.

Thanked by 1risharde

@SGraf said:

@risharde said:
    Hi everyone! I discovered vnstat which is supposed to help keep track of network traffic per interface but it isn't accurately counting my kvm vm network interfaces for some odd reason (vnetX via libvirt). Do you guys know of anything else that would be a similar replacement? I am curious as well to know if you experienced a similar issue with vnstat and if you were able to fix it. I really like how simple vnstat is in theory. Please let me know, thanks!

My Setup integrates with librenms. (Librenms pulls the data from the hypervisors via snmp. This however requires you to have predicatable interface names/.... for vm's you provision.

For me this was easy as all my vm provisioning is done a billing module i wrote that suits my needs. That said, i am not sure if the setup/software you are using would allow for that.

Thanks @SGraf appreciate the suggestion, I will do some more research, really appreciate it!

• I think dumeter.net is still free for Linux hosts. Last time I checked, the agent was Python 2 and I had to hack something to install or use Python 3.

Thanked by 1risharde
  • vnstat has always been very reliable for me. it takes averages based on measurements by some interval. The measurements will always be kinda off versus other tools as the interval may vary. Afaik they all use the same counters from /proc and friends. The total traffic in hard units should be the same though.

Thanked by 1risharde

Thanks @TimboJones appreciate it, will also research, I'm trying to avoid agents if I can but if I get desperate, I'll probably have to go that route!

@lowenduser1 Thanks for the heads up - I'm wondering what I might be doing wrong, I can see more accurate stats from the sys/class folder but for some reason vnstat isn't using that data