Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Recommended router for hosts? - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Recommended router for hosts?

2»

Comments

• LeviLevi Member

Brocade MLX series.

• AlexBarakovAlexBarakov Patron Provider, Veteran

No matter how much people defend Miktorik, when it gets a moderate amount of 64b packets and they come from many destinations, it's dead. Any L3 switch that routing in hardware will outperform it by miles. We've had our fair share of clients bringing in Miktoriks for colocation.

Thanked by 3host_c kenwong jsg
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 2

@AlexBarakov

I second that, exactly that is the problem with MKT.

OP initial question, MKT 2004

Performance for Routing, 1518 byte Packets, no filterers - 35532.1 MBPS - :+1:
    Performance for Routing, 1518 byte Packets, 25 filterers - 8770.4 MBPS - :/
    Performance for Routing, 64 byte Packets, 25 filterers -394.1 MBPS - :'( - WTF?

Source MKT website: https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2004_16g_2splus#fndtn-testresults

IF OP wants to go that way, recommend he checks the product datasheet, and look for the worst values at 64 byte.

EDIT:

CCR2216 @ ~3000 USD

Performance for Routing, 1518 byte Packets, no filterers - 69336.2 MBPS - :+1: NICE
    Performance for Routing, 1518 byte Packets, 25 filterers - 46018.5 MBPS - :) Not Bad
    Performance for Routing, 64 byte Packets, 25 filterers -1672.8 MBPS - :'( - WTF? Really? 3000 USD??

Source MKT website: https://mikrotik.com/product/ccr2216_1g_12xs_2xq#fndtn-testresults

Device Ports: 2 x 100G and 16x 25G, comm on man.....

The 10+ year old TILE, CCR1072, lowest configuration ( 3 possible )

Performance for Routing, 1518 byte Packets, 25 filterers - 50101.3 MBPS

Performance for Routing, 64 byte Packets, 25 filterers - 2,559.5 MBPS

https://mikrotik.com/product/CCR1072-1G-8Splus#fndtn-testresults

Thanked by 1kenwong
  • If you have just one or two uplinks and don't need full IP routes get some decent L3 switch. If you are on budget some refurbished one will work fine. Or get a Juniper MX204 - great solution for smaller deployments.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

We have used 2 of those CCRs in our Bucharest rack and they BOTH failed. The symptoms were lock-up and after a few reboots, it would fail to load completely. The flash is probably very bad, because a reflashing with the latest version does work for a while and then it fails again, both lasted for less than a year with moderate traffic, 1-2 gbps.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited January 2

@kenwong said:
    If you have just one or two uplinks and don't need full IP routes get some decent L3 switch. If you are on budget some refurbished one will work fine. Or get a Juniper MX204 - great solution for smaller deployments.

Seconding this. If you're taking default routes from a colo blend or similar, just get a good refurb L3 switch (Juniper, Cisco, Arista). You'll be fine.

If you need full tables, the MX-series is really hard to beat bang for buck. We're still talking a likely 10x price increase to take full tables, though.

Third option is always software routing of some sort. YMMV, didn't care for it in all of our extensive efforts. It's likely viable, just not with my brainpower and mission-statement of "it just has to work". Of course, nothing will beat an ASIC but the question you need to answer is do you really need that level of performance/traffic routing.

Thanked by 1kenwong
  • MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran
    edited January 3

@crunchbits said: Third option is always software routing of some sort.

This will always work better and will be much more flexible than any hardware solution IF:

1. There are no complex things needed, such as some kind of DPI, conditional routing etc.;
    2. 1-2 ms extra latency are not a deal breaker;
    3. The "pipe" is not XXL, i.e. multiple 10 gbps links.

With the hardware of today, though, those limitations are less and less important.
    Personally I want full control over all parameters and the ability to replace the solution as needed without investing in new hardware or learning new weird interfaces and programming.

Note: A full server is also eating quite a lot of power, while a HW router probably a tenth of that, it could matter in some situations.

Thanked by 2host_c crunchbits
  • doghouchdoghouch Member
    edited January 3

@host_c said:
    Smal operations, if small enough, can be handled by the “-link” brands also :D

I know that you’re joking, but:

“Jesus Christ no for the love of god have mercy”

Thanked by 1host_c
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@doghouch said:

@host_c said:
    Smal operations, if small enough, can be handled by the “-link” brands also :D

I know that you’re joking, but:

“Jesus Christ no for the love of god have mercy”

Ok, I has a little to hard on the “-link” brands

Maybe you can use EDIMAX ? :D :D :D

• SirNeoSirNeo Member

Go with Huawei PTN 6900-2-M8C or if you want a couple of 100GE ports go for PTN 6900-16A.

Though the 16Acan be overkill for only 2-3 racks

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited January 3

@SHN_Silver said:
    What router would you recommend for 1 to two racks? Need something that wont break the bank but can withstand quite a bit of traffic. Something with SFP+ ports. Was looking at the Mikrotik CCR2216. Or even just a CCR2004, although the throughput of the 2004 is pretty low.

"won't break the bank"? Numbers please!. "won't break the bank" might mean (in this context) <$1000 or just as well "not much more than $5000" ...

@AlexBarakov said:
    Juniper MX204 - Cheap and performant.

Jep, good choice but in terms of $$ way north of Mikrotik [self-redacted].

@host_c said:
    And for the love of god, do not use a switch that is layer 3 for routing. I’ve seen that too many times I can remember.

Router = Routing
    Switch = Switching

@AlexBarakov said:
    I'd say it depends on the size of the operation. There are certain Arista switches that can handle full tables pretty well and are fine-ish for small operations.

And I know a significant provider using them in seriously big jobs and they do fine, fine as in "better than quite some hyped 'big name' equipment".

@Croissant said:
    Most of the replies if not all are cringe, first of all no one even bothered knowing the bandwidth needed by OP or what exactly it is needed for before recommending your 40k fancy routers vs a 2k one OP wants to get

Yessir, indeed. I'm also amazed. Nor did he halfway clearly specify whether full routing table is needed or not, etc.

If I needed 2 x 10 - 40 Gb/s routed and absolutely needed to save every dollar I can save and, for whatever reason, couldn't just use an Arista box, I'd likely look at two "small" servers (1HU) and put a Mellanox or Chelsio card in.

Mikrotik or TP-link, yep, have one of those but (a) only as switch, and (b) in my small lab (<10 servers and boxes). But in a rack as a router and professionally? Nope, no chance.

• iizyhostiizyhost Member, Patron Provider

we´re using Arista DCS-75xx series.
    they´re available for around 1k€ as refurbished.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider
    edited January 3

@AlexBarakov said:
    Juniper MX204 - Cheap and performant.

Cheap.... Depending on who's wallet we talking about... :|
    And it aint my wallet. Those are expensive.