Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ways to improve performance with drives in RAID 10 - Page 3
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Ways to improve performance with drives in RAID 10

13»

Comments

• @raza19 said: But isn't that just complex with mysql replication issues and other stuff, granted it wud be an ideal solution. I wish there was an easy turnkey high availability solution like that catering to simple LAMP stacks.

Have a look at galera cluster if you haven't already. It's very easy to setup and never had any issues.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @itsdeadjim said:

@raza19 said: But isn't that just complex with mysql replication issues and other stuff, granted it wud be an ideal solution. I wish there was an easy turnkey high availability solution like that catering to simple LAMP stacks.

Have a look at galera cluster if you haven't already. It's very easy to setup and never had any issues.

Even better with Percona XtraDB Cluster, which uses Galera

• @raza19 said:

Seriously though I don’t think I’m going to do hardware RAID on any new server ever again. I’ll shout from the mountain tops for everyone else to avoid them where they can, performance be damned. They cause more damage when they fail, and you have to keep compatible spares on hand. I always thought HW RAID10 failures were a lie and everyone who claimed them was a liar covering for their own failures. Oh to be young again. Sorry that was unrelated 🤣

@jar for a new setup I have been planning a raid10 in production and a much cheaper raid0 with lesser number of drives as incremental backup: isn't that an ideal setup with the caveat that in case of raid10 failure u go straightaway to the backup? if raid10 isn't a good option then wt shud one go for?

You never use raid0 when you need reliability. You only ever do raid0 for performance reason.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@vitobotta

This is an excellent article for you, found it while searching for other stuff ( as usual )

https://www.arcserve.com/blog/understanding-raid-performance-various-levels

Thanked by 1vitobotta
  • @host_c said:
    @vitobotta

This is an excellent article for you, found it while searching for other stuff ( as usual )

https://www.arcserve.com/blog/understanding-raid-performance-various-levels

Nice article, thanks. In the meantime I have done some tuning on the system for many things, and it's pretty smooth! It doesn't feel like it's hard drives so I'm happy