Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Review of C1V Hosting
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

My Review of C1V Hosting

alfatarsosalfatarsos Member
edited December 2023 in Reviews

I purchased a VPS, a personalized one, from C1V hosting services.

The VPS I ordered is indeed very specific and tailored to my needs/wants, with 4 SAS hard drives I had bought previously being decomissioned from my local setup in Portugal, and sent all the way to Italy for installation on their new server, some 35 GB of fast NVMe and two cores. The full specs:

CPU - 2 threads, Xeon E5-2697A V4, 2.6 GHz each
Memory - 3GB DDR4
HDD - 35GB in NVMe + 8.2TB RAID5 SAS
Bandwidth - 100TB @ 400/400
1 IPv4, 1 IPv6
Windows Server 2022 (under BYOL)

Package - 10/10, couldn't been better
Payment - 10/10, easy and great price

Support - 8/10, good and acceptable for the price and service given, mostly fast, always nice; at times expecting one to do some "homework" in VPS configuration, but since I'm experienced as a sysadmin (and especially in Windows), this came easy enough for me.

Even with me being a user on LET, should some trouble happen, it's definetly expected for anyone here to open a ticket, and especially so if it's a urgent matter.

I personally found there's a relevant difference between opening a ticket and just speaking privately with c1vhosting's account (Luca Marini), it seems that when a ticket is opened, and since he most certainly has to answer to someone about those, things get... faster. It's classic Italian culture, but as a Portuguese I'm well used to it, so nothing wrong hehe. (Possibly also the reason why I think I'd fit well in Italy.)

It's definetly expected to have some knowledge of your own when operating the service, and also sometimes expected to not just "sit and wait" on something, but rather try some troubleshooting and solutions. This is fine for me, as this is not a managed VPS, and I already am just like that in other areas of my life.

At least it's not copy-and-paste responses, that has to be given. I hate those, so kudos here.

Performance - 9/10. The CPUs and RAM are fast, very fast; the NVMe is very, very fast especially considering this is a QEMU virtualization solution; Internet speed is excellent and according to what was purchased, although Italy definetly has some perks of its own in terms of peering to other destinations (at least in comparison to what I have in Portugal), but perfectly liveable - uploads tend to suffer a little above average through some peers, otherwise it's great.

The point that was taken is not only due to those perks on the upload, but also due to the fact that QEMU is personally not my favourite, but at least it's solid when fully configured (and it's Red Hat), I have to give that. Other than that, excellent.

Usability - 10/10. After some correct configuration, everything's fast, and everything just works. Perfect.

Overall Score - 9.4/10 (median of 5, 20% each), Excellent.

Sorry for not providing YABS, that's not supported natively on Windows and I don't want to install WSL2. However, speeds:

NVMe - 1.1GB/s read and write 64K (CrystalDiskMark), 1.5 GB/s read and write (WinSat)
Internet -

TIM Italia, Torino - 394 Mbps download / 320 Mbps upload, 6ms ping (via Browser)
Vodafone Portugal, Porto - 358,85 Mbps download / 63,34 Mbps upload, 43ms ping (via Browser)
There's a peer in the US (Oklahoma) where I got the full 400 Mbps upload, but that was a Browser test and I didn't record that result.

Comcast, Independence (Minnesota, US) - 401,88 Mbps download / 111,43 Mbps upload (160 Mbps burstable), 123ms ping (via Speedtest Electron - PC)
Bolt, Oklahoma (US) - 300,36 Mbps download / 238,95 Mbps upload, 133ms ping (via Speedtest Electron - PC)
USA Connections, Kansas (US) - 394,99 Mbps download / 50,68 Mbps upload, 133ms ping (via Speedtest Electron - PC).

Thanked by 2c1vhosting Kevin_K

Comments

• Thanks dear, hope you like it :blush:

Thanked by 1alfatarsos
  • For how long you have been using his service? What is the uptime in the last three months?

I had to contact Luca for two weeks through email and dms to cancel and delete my account after months of non working service with him. Complete scam with the non refundable payment methods and tos.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • show us your iowait, use hetrixtools or other tools if you're lazy

• yabs: N/A

• YABS don't lie

• dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

@alfatarsos
    1. Run a youtube video test at 360p , 480p and 720p
    2. Close all programs and check cpu utilization at idle system

• What did you get in return to make this review?

Thanked by 2mad_4u sillycat
  • Must be his cousin?

• @Naomii said:
    What did you get in return to make this review?

+1

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • This is a recent service, but I'll be happy to report uptime when it is 3 months old.

As stated, YABS was not done because in a server things have to be taken to the bare minimum necessary, and WSL2 is definetly something that I'd prefer to avoid for the moment, otherwise I'd simply stick to Linux and cut the middleman.

@dev_vps, this is a QEMU virtualized environment, and as other similar virtualized environments (VirtualBox comes to mind), graphics are done via CPU as no graphics card is obviously allocated. As such, obviously CPU time will go up, as it always would with any VPS. But if I had a VPS to play YouTube videos, let me say... that would be very wrong usage.

As for returns to make this review: zero. I'm a happy customer that also has other VPSs from other providers as well (i've let a positive feedback on HostEONS for example) and lots of experience.

Now you can understand this, or you cannot. Your call. Otherwise, I've done my fair judgement and this is my review. Finito.

• @alfatarsos said:
    This is a recent service, but I'll be happy to report uptime when it is 3 months old.

As stated, YABS was not done because in a server things have to be taken to the bare minimum necessary, and WSL2 is definetly something that I'd prefer to avoid for the moment, otherwise I'd simply stick to Linux and cut the middleman.

@dev_vps, this is a QEMU virtualized environment, and as other similar virtualized environments (VirtualBox comes to mind), graphics are done via CPU as no graphics card is obviously allocated. As such, obviously CPU time will go up, as it always would with any VPS. But if I had a VPS to play YouTube videos, let me say... that would be very wrong usage.

As for returns to make this review: zero. I'm a happy customer that also has other VPSs from other providers as well (i've let a positive feedback on HostEONS for example) and lots of experience.

Now you can understand this, or you cannot. Your call. Otherwise, I've done my fair judgement and this is my review. Finito.

I never said that vps should be used for watching YT videos. The purpose of YT test is to see the cpu benchmark.

And cpu utilization at system idle should be under 4%, as higher percentage will indicate possible resource rationing or overselling.

Thanked by 1lovelyserver
  • dev_vpsdev_vps Member
    edited December 2023

I have a VPS where cpu utilization is still below 25% while playing YT video at 1080p.

YT test will fail even at 360p, if cpu resources are oversold aggressively or if cpu core is not powerful enough.

• alfatarsosalfatarsos Member
    edited December 2023

@dev_vps said:

And cpu utilization at system idle should be under 4%, as higher percentage will indicate possible resource rationing or overselling.

Mine is between 4% and 5% idle and stock (without optimizations) on Windows, with two threads.

As a matter of comparison, my personal PC is around 3% on 4 threads with Windows 10 LTSC, and a VPS I had from Ionos, on Linux, was around 2% (without Apache) or 6% (with Apache) on a mere LXDE configuration with Debian 11 and two cores

I'd say it's definetly within expectations. :)

As per your VPS having x% CPU time or not, I've seen significant difference between virtualization technologies on that area. I think VMWare is the best in graphics passthrough... all others just trail behind, some less, some more.

• My VPS (under $20 per year)
    Look at cpu utilization at system idle (except connected to RDP client pc).

• There are some optimizations that can bring idle time down on Windows (some services). I didn't do them yet. However, be it 2% or 4-5%, I'm still satisfied with what I've got, the difference is short enough. :)

• @alfatarsos said: This is a recent service, but I'll be happy to report uptime when it is 3 months old

Is it a monthly or a yearly plan? Why review a recent service?

• @alfatarsos said: I'm a happy customer that also has other VPSs from other providers as well

What other providers you are using? How much do you recommend them?

• @loay said:

@alfatarsos said: This is a recent service, but I'll be happy to report uptime when it is 3 months old

Is it a monthly or a yearly plan? Why review a recent service?

Neither, quarterly.

I wanted to review a recent service as I'd do it to an old one - I've seen many things written here over the last couple of weeks and I wanted to see whether I could reasonably sustain some claims.

The closest one I could see was the Internet, that depending on the route does have some perks, but nothing too serious. Support had some specifics also but I did adapt quite nicely to those.

I left some details on both of them, in fact, it's most of the text. Some counterbalance is always nice.

@loay said:

@alfatarsos said: I'm a happy customer that also has other VPSs from other providers as well

What other providers you are using? How much do you recommend them?

For the moment, HostEONS only, but I've used before Ionos (had 5 VPS with them, great service, terrible "personal managers", never fall for that one with them) and OVH (awful customer area, too bureaucratic e-mails, VPS functioning is very confusing and quality is subpar).

Also had an RDP in Turkey and those are the guys to be afraid of - my RDP could barely manage 70 Mbps on a suposedly 100 Mbps line, they sold me a USA-based RDP with a Turkish ISP provider (go figure), bad performance with 20% idle on a mere Windows 10, and when I confronted them with all this they didn't return my money even though claiming to do it - roughly 7 euros. It was 10/10, never again.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@alfatarsos

Thanks for the review, and I believe you (~ I think, you did not lie).

But I take your review with a big grain of salt as it is quite different from what the vast majority of us bought/have.

What your review suggests IMO is that @c1vhosting is not per se a shit show and that they can offer decent products and service - unfortunately though that is not the experience many of us have with their standard products.

As far as I'm personally concerned I will (a) give c1vhosting another week because, whether we like it or not, the second half of December is a really bad time for a provider to get replacement parts quickly, and (b) I will see whether they offer some compensation and if so, what.

Your hint that they can be a decent provider is taken but at the end of the day we'll have to see ourselves how this (so far horror) trip will end.

• @Naomii said:
    What did you get in return to make this review?

Kingdom and glory