Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone using IBM POWER Servers in the community
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anyone using IBM POWER Servers in the community

Need to shift some workloads to ibm power servers. Bought A POWER 9 but its setup is totally crazy with very less community to help. Can anyone rent a completely managed power8 or 9 server or have any experience in setting it up

Comments

• AS400?

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@faleddo said: AS400?

Or Linux or AIX.

@yaty497 said: Bought A POWER 9 but its setup is totally crazy with very less community to help. Can anyone rent a completely managed power8 or 9 server or have any experience in setting it up

Of all the proprietary Unices (Solaris, HP-UX, Tru64, etc.) that I've used, AIX is by far the most quirky, like most IBM products. The good news is that it's entirely consistent and has some nice features, but you really need training or to read a book or two in order to sysadmin it. Someone used to CentOS could pickup Debian and with a bit of googling be up and running...not so with AIX. It's too alien.

IBM does publish "redbooks" which are sysadmin guides.

There's also SMIT which is their text-interface (menu-driven) tool to admin the box. Even there, you'd need to be familiar with their concepts.

If you're installing Linux, then RHEL on POWER should be straightforward...not that I've ever done it. But there you're reading RHEL docs at least.

What exactly are you running and on what? And...

Need to shift some workloads to ibm power servers.

...why? It's nice gear but you usually only see it in big company datacenters and even then it's a fading presence.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @raindog308 said:

...why? It's nice gear but you usually only see it in big company datacenters and even then it's a fading presence.

It's for reasons, don't you know? ;)

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

@raindog308 said:
    What exactly are you running and on what? And...

Quite typical desperate attempt to get help, i.e. not even minimal info. Formertimes I engaged in the unnerving circle of trying to get at least some info out of those guys, but not anymore.

I understand it, I can feel it, but still, if someone, no matter how desperate, doesn't provide even some basic info, I simply ignore them.

Basically I only responded here because you said something very true: yep, those are nice and interesting systems, especially since a company ("Talon" or "Raptor" or some such) has been developing a largely open-source Power system. (And yes, unless forced nobody in his right mind uses AiX *g).

Thanked by 1raindog308