Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Windows OBS Streaming Server or VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Windows OBS Streaming Server or VPS

mrl22mrl22 Member
edited December 2023 in Requests

Hello

For the last few years, I have streamed my garden bird boxes to YouTube 24/7 during the UK nesting season, March - September.

Last year, I set up a docker container running datarhei/restreamer, which is a simple rtmp restreamer with no transcoding.

This year, I would like to add overlays etc, so I am looking for a Windows server or VPS I can run OBS on. I have tried OBS on Ubuntu, but seems a little buggy.

I am not sure if it will need a GPU, so I am open to suggestions.

Needs to be able to take in two 1080p rtmp camera feeds and encode 1080p/60 up to YouTube.

Any offers? Europe or UK providers?

Comments

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

You'll probably need a hardware encoder or GPU. Unless your CPU is a super beast, even then, I don't know if you'll be able to encode 2x 1080p/60fps streams on a CPU only, with OBS. I'm assuming settings are something like H264/H265 on fast or faster, since scenes are probably not complicated/fast action.

My experience is limited to gaming though. I'm only now getting into setting up security camera feeds around the house.

If you're looking at using NVENC, check the "Max # of concurrent sessions" for your GPU on https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-and-decode-gpu-support-matrix-new

Let me know what ends up working.

• crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

I think you'll want iGPU or GPU for multiple feeds being encoded 24/7. Look into either an Intel iGPU w/Quick Sync (certain Xeon E3's or Intel desktop CPUs). Alternatively, a lower power non-gaming GPU could do the trick (Tesla series, Quadro P600/M2000 tier). You're probably going to find the best bang-for-your-buck solution with Quick Sync.

• Depending on what overlays you want, maybe you could try muxing with ffmpeg too.

Thanked by 1BasToTheMax

+1 for trying iGPU. I have a friend who recently switched to using quick sync for streaming, and so far it seems to work well.

And as crunchbits mentioned, the Quadro cards are another option. I can vouch for the Quadro P600's, I use them now in my HP Proliant servers at home for recording camera feeds.

• c1vhostingc1vhosting Member
    edited December 2023

@mrl22 said:
    Hello

For the last few years, I have streamed my garden bird boxes to YouTube 24/7 during the UK nesting season, March - September.

Last year, I set up a docker container running datarhei/restreamer, which is a simple rtmp restreamer with no transcoding.

This year, I would like to add overlays etc, so I am looking for a Windows server or VPS I can run OBS on. I have tried OBS on Ubuntu, but seems a little buggy.

Needs to be able to take in two 1080p rtmp camera feeds and encode 1080p/60 up to YouTube.

What about a cheap dedicated server?

Intel Core i7-7500U
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

• 7500u has Intel® HD Graphics 620 and It can transcode more than 2x 1080p@60 streams.
    However, adding overlay complicates things a little but it should be possible with that hardware.

After seeing all the feedback on Intel's iGPU, I did some research and can confirm an iGPU will work. Tested, apparently I have a 12th gen Alder Lake, the only platform at home with integrated graphics, and it's very capable. The 7500U is 7th gen, but my friend that does stream with the iGPU, confirmed it should work.

My friend also said "I know for a fact it's better while you're gaming/streaming than using the GPU encoder". I still use NVENC on my gaming GPU to stream, but after learning about this, I'm gonna do some testing to see if I can get better stream quality.

Thanked by 1Naomii
  • woodster050woodster050 Member, Host Rep

@c1vhosting said:

@mrl22 said:
    Hello

Intel Core i7-7500U
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

I'm Personally Terrified how cheap that is.

Thanked by 2fendix c1vhosting
  • @c1vhosting said: Intel Core i7-7500U

16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

Wow, this is steal. I may do this, but I'm about a month early for setting things up.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting
  • AK_KWHAK_KWH Member, Patron Provider

@c1vhosting said:

@mrl22 said:
    Hello

Intel Core i7-7500U
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

Its a nice deal but if you can increase ram to 32Gb i can grab one for testing ~18€

• @AK_KWH said:

@c1vhosting said:

@mrl22 said:
    Hello

Intel Core i7-7500U
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

Its a nice deal but if you can increase ram to 32Gb i can grab one for testing ~18€

I can’t :( ram is welded on the mobo

• @c1vhosting said:

@mrl22 said:
    Hello

Intel Core i7-7500U
    16GB DDR4 RAM
    SSD NVMe 500GB
    40TB @ 1Gbps

€15/month VAT incl.

Thank you @c1vhosting
    This dedicated server is working great.

I will be posting detailed review in next couple of days.

Thanked by 1c1vhosting