Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Hosting on home server than a provider
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Hosting on home server than a provider

I have been trying out web hosting, and lab setup on several ISPs for the last 5-7 years, but the problems faced when the servers are down, slow network speed, and some other issues have always made me think about self-hosting. But the higher electricity charges and internet charges in my country prevent me from doing it.

After several years of exploring a suitable solution, finally got a tiny PC from Lenovo with the specs i7, 2TB SSD, and 12 GB RAM which is more than enough to run a whole lot of containers and media servers. but what I am excited about is I managed to limit the electricity usage to what I expected, and the performance was wonderful and made me realize how the providers oversell the VPSs.

I've been using this setup for a month now and with this setup, I have reduced my expenditures as well.

FYI: I just wanted to share my opinion after using VPS and Dedi with several ISPs and moving to self-host!

Thank you for reading, please share your opinions as well on the comments, and ideas for more self-hosted apps.

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

Congratulations for your courage!
    For self hosting it's probably a pretty good solution, considering that if your plan doesn't work out, no one else suffers.
    I also saw the very cheap colocation at home, but now, 6 months after I have this project in production, I can say that it is not really like that.

Even if only the investment in the location reached 15K EUR (another 5K EUR hardware), the monthly payments are not small either: 1500 KWh costs a lot, 2150Mbps guaranteed costs too and... only the BGP sessions through which we announce the subnets with each operator reach at 50 EUR/month.

If you're curios, I invite you to read my progress right here and here

• @haleeth said:
    I have been trying out web hosting, and lab setup on several ISPs for the last 5-7 years, but the problems faced when the servers are down, slow network speed, and some other issues have always made me think about self-hosting. But the higher electricity charges and internet charges in my country prevent me from doing it.

What providers you used where you faced down servers/ slow network?

What country?

I've been using this setup for a month now and with this setup, I have reduced my expenditures as well.

Can you share any numbers from before and after?

FYI: I just wanted to share my opinion after using VPS and Dedi with several ISPs and moving to self-host!

Thank you for reading, please share your opinions as well on the comments, and ideas for more self-hosted apps.

What are you currently self hosting? What is it that you want to host so we can better suggest some things

Good luck

Thanked by 1haleeth
  • If you have a chance, always get decent IBM blade and dump it in a closet at home. The heat, the noise from that blade and screams from wife / girlfriend is one of a kind! After one month, you receive bill for electricity and as all normal people find host here and start your idling journey to nirvana.

• @plumberg said:

@haleeth said:

What providers you used where you faced down servers/ slow network?

What country?

Can you share any numbers from before and after?

What are you currently self hosting? What is it that you want to host so we can better suggest some things

Good luck

I am from Sri Lanka, and the server is hosted on my home network, the network is a 200Mbps fiber line, and unfortunately, here unlimited connections are very expensive (with a max of 8 Mbps) also gigabit connection is not available everywhere!

I was spending around 30-40$/month (almost 25% of my monthly income of a regular Sri Lankan) now it is down to 0$ but the electricity cost has increased but it's not much different compared to my regular cost for electricity!

Proxmox for VE
    pfsense for firewall
    Adguard home, uptime kuma, navidrome, jellyfin, nginx proxy manager on container
    and homepage as homepage ;)

• @LeroyJ said:
    If you have a chance, always get decent IBM blade and dump it in a closet at home. The heat, the noise from that blade and screams from wife / girlfriend is one of a kind! After one month, you receive bill for electricity and as all normal people find host here and start your idling journey to nirvana.

I am just starting with a low-powered one. The electricity cost is very high here! maybe in the future, I can go for high-performance servers!

• daemon97daemon97 Member
    edited December 2023

I run a pretty hefty home server, a HPE ProLiant ML110 Gen11, but just that alone. It's a current-gen server, but very expensive thanks to the pandemic & trade war. I can only afford it because I work for Big Tech. I miss the last gen pre-pandemic prices when I got a ML110 Gen10 only cost $750 (versus $2300).

I know there's ASRock, but I use HPE mainly since ASRock's IPMI sucks hard while iLO is pretty good comparatively. Nowadays Dell is more expensive, but then most US corps use Dell. Supermicro is more expensive on the low-end, and I could never understand Lenovo's sales process for ThinkServers.

Thanked by 2haleeth 0xC7
  • I have a Minisforum that runs all of my services and website at home, the only thing I don't self-host is email and DNS. PurelyMail for email and Cloudflare for DNS. Need those to be super reliable and work all the time. Selfhosting is definitely the way to go if you're setup for it!

Thanked by 2haleeth Pixels
  • PixelsPixels Member

@usacomputer said:
    I have a Minisforum that runs all of my services and website at home, the only thing I don't self-host is email and DNS. PurelyMail for email and Cloudflare for DNS. Need those to be super reliable and work all the time. Selfhosting is definitely the way to go if you're setup for it!

Can't stress enough how important is to have reliable DNS servers :smile:
    When both resolvers go down, be prepared to hear screams around the house :neutral:

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@Pixels said:
    be prepared to hear screams around the house

It doesn't have to be DNS.
    My classmate knocks on my dorm door when my website goes down.
    The website hosts study materials for the class, emailed from teachers.

Thanked by 1Pixels
  • iizyhostiizyhost Member, Patron Provider

for professional hosting, you need to have mail as well.

In order to be able to deliver mail to google / outlook / whomsoever, you need to have valid rDNS, dmarc, spf and some more technical obligations to meet.

In Europe you only get valid rDNS with business connections which are far more expensive then renting a VPS or dedicated server somewhere.

• Cool story, bro.

Thanked by 1haleeth
  • FWIW most energy goes towards the small form factor and ridiculous amount of small high RPM fans.

You can idle e-waste at reasonable wattages by forcing the CPU frequencies to the lowest. It will be still be faster than a raspberry pi and have better i/o. sometimes it even runs passive and you can save on the fans.

One can forward IPv4/IPv6 from a VPS by VPN and get that premium routing or rDNS.

Get a redundant setup at your family and friends. Don't share fire extinguishers

Thanked by 1haleeth