Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Illegal content on shared server enviroment
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Illegal content on shared server enviroment

I will launch a server for shared hosting, but I am a little bit paranoid regarding illegal content that the customers might store in their accounts.

Are there any scripts or tools that can help me monitor the server for illegal content?

For example I know that Cloudflare has a monitoring tool that detects underage images, but for this to work the dns should be managed by Clodflare.

Comments

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@alexroeu said: I will launch a server for shared hosting, but I am a little bit paranoid regarding illegal content that the customers might store in their accounts

From a scale of 1 to 10, how paranoid?

I will be straight forward with you, if you pass 7.5, just don't do it. :)

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited December 2023

8 :# borderline :#

Thanked by 1jackalblood
  • Keep price high, do proper KYC. This will minify junk in your servers. Have clear contact details in your website in case authorities would like to chat with you. Do not ignore dmca.

@LeroyJ

You realize, you basically told him LET is off the table. :D.

• @host_c said:
    @LeroyJ

You realize, you basically told him LET is off the table. :D.

LET attracts huge amount of fraud. Once I had a linknto my free hosting project. There was just relentless bash of fraudsters. Proxies, mikrotik botnet controllers, booter service frontends you name it.

Thanked by 2host_c the_doctor
  • At this moment I only have managed customers, I mean they don't even have access to their own wordpress, I publish their articles, edit their websites and so on. For shared services I will target only the romanian customers.

edited December 2023

@alexroeu

So by judging the RO and EU in your name, Romania? nice :)

I can only give you some pointers on this, to complete what @LeroyJ said.

Go to the established providers that you find here on LET, like hostEONS, crunchbits and others, read their TOS and read some threads to see how they handle this. Then go to the more under-dog-cave hostlers here, and read their TOS.

If you are from RO as I presume, read clausweb, nav.ro, romarg.ro TOS also. Remember, DCMA is one thing in the US, and in the EU is treated in another way.

After this you have a pretty good idea of what is allowed and what is not, who permits what on their network, so you can draft your TOS.

From all shit that can be hosted, underage, crime, drugs, racism are the worst, and you should definitely not join that club.

It is up to you until when you will ignore mails regarding content and how you treat them with your customer. There is no 100% protection, it will take some time for you get the hang of things.

• alexroeualexroeu Member
    edited December 2023

I'll do that, thanks for the tip! I am not going to allow hosting illegal content on my server, that's for sure.

The fact is that I am trying to be proactive and act before receiving mails that report some content from my server. But even with a good KYC procedure, manual monitoring and with good ToS, there might be someone who will upload something illegal and I am trying to establish a procedure to detect somehow automatic with a script or a tool such content.

Other than searching for torrent files, are there any tools that can help me detect illegal content and warn me before anybody else find it and report it? I am thinking something like the Cloudflare tool

edited December 2023

@alexroeu said: I am trying to establish a procedure to detect somehow automatic with a script or a tool such content.

Give us a hint when you find this.

You can go hardware level, like appliances from Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto, but that will definitely blow up the the bank, and the truth is, applying those in hosting is difficult, they are more corporte - datacenter oriented.

If you are too harsh on the customers, you will loose them.

If you like clean 100% legit customers, forums will not be your first sale market.

Do the reading, I recommend, read the dramas also, they have some god essence, at least you will know how to not fuck up. :)

Thanked by 1alexroeu
  • Not harsh, but not illegal stuff :) My first sale market are friends and aquintances of the actual managed clients, who does not need managed services and preffer to setup their websites themself. I am not looking for an exponential grow, but on the other hand It's not ok to keep refusing prospect clients just because I don't have a shared server.

Thank you for all the tips and advices, I will take the time to do my homework so I don't repeat others mistakes. :)

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@alexroeu said: Not harsh, but not illegal stuff

The best way is prompt reaction on abuse complaints.

Thanked by 1alexroeu
  • FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

I used to run a web hosting company with a friend in the past, during covid times.

Mostly I've seen people host those roblox scripts, phishing sites, malware.

Never seen CP or something like that, Imunify360 was really good at detecting and it saved me atleast like 100 times.

Thanked by 1alexroeu