Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LET is a DRUG: Take stock
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

LET is a DRUG: Take stock

For several years I've been renting 2 servers for my personal projects, which I then used to their full potential.

I needed a 3rd one for a project, so I got active again on LET to find this server and take the opportunity to change my existing servers as the specifications were getting outdated for the price.

I've just used the my-idlers project to make an inventory of all the servers I now have after a few months.

That's over 45 CPU cores.
Over 150gb of RAM.
Over 10tb of disk

And all for a pretty reasonable price. I don't even need a third of these resources.
Fortunately, some of these servers are giveaways / loan servers.
Some are due to expire soon and are not annual contracts, so I hope to reduce this madness soon.

The aim is not to wage war on numbers. I know some people here are much sicker here.
But I'd also advise you to take stock and see what a drug this forum is. And to think I didn't like having idle servers...

Testing everything, discovering new providers, it's never-ending!

Take care, I need a doctor. :D
How are you doing? You're not doing anything crazy?

Thanked by 4xxsl plumberg loay Naomii

Comments

• Never count your chickens.

• @dahartigan said:
    Never count your chickens.

Too many chickens, it's getting hard to keep track of them all.

Thanked by 1dahartigan
  • Have you considered starting a chicken farm?

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

@remy How dare you accuse me of having an illness!
    I assure you then my endless amount of idle servers are sleeping peacefully
    I am of the most sound mind

Thanked by 1loay
  • @totally_not_banned said:
    Have you considered starting a chicken farm?

My farm is becoming too expensive.
    I'll have to release some chickens.

• @remy said:

@totally_not_banned said:

Release them to other addicts in the "Service Transfers" forum category :smile:

• @Moopah said:
    @remy How dare you accuse me of having an illness!
    I assure you then my endless amount of idle servers are sleeping peacefully
    I am of the most sound mind

I don't know, I'm sure there are some very reasonable members here.
    How many chickens are sleeping? That I can make a hasty judgment :p

• @remy said:

The point of a farm is to multiply chickens and sell them, not release them into the wild.

Thanked by 2dahartigan remy
  • remyremy Member
    edited December 2023

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

Release them to other addicts in the "Service Transfers" forum category :smile:

Yes, I'll do that in the next few weeks for those who can be transferred.
    Some expire soon, not sure if they're interesting offers to transfer.

But yes I'm going to downsize the farm to reflect my real use cases.

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

We all need to go to rehab at some point. Too many chickens is bad for health.

Thanked by 3dahartigan loay remy
  • In a similar boar, keep thinking of fun projects and potential income streams I could kick off. All the offers available make it so easy to dream of all the services that could be hosted. Then comes the sad reality that alot more work is needed to implement said idea.... next thing you know, alot of dreams running around in the farm

Thanked by 1petunias
  • @Moopah said:
    We all need to go to rehab at some point. Too many chickens is bad for health.

lots of protein, collagen, glutamine.... hardly bad.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

You're fine, we have a much higher degree of idling and think that from yesterday to today I looked at OVH to buy a new server to sell VPSs there too :) [another idling]

I am an expert in memory recovery, probably

• remyremy Member
    edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:

You're fine, we have a much higher degree of idling and think that from yesterday to today I looked at OVH to buy a new server to sell VPSs there too :) [another idling]

You're a professional idler. It's even better

Do these metrics include unallocated or unused resources?

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

Mega idler

total        used        free      shared  buff/cache   available
    Mem:           755Gi       1.4Gi       753Gi       1.0Mi       781Mi       750Gi
    Swap:          2.9Gi          0B       2.9Gi

Wait, why is it using 1.4GiB RAM on idle? This is unacceptable.

Thanked by 1loay
  • @Moopah said:
    Mega idler

Mem:           755Gi       1.4Gi       753Gi       1.0Mi       781Mi       750Gi

My entire media library can fit in the RAM.

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@remy said:

@FlorinMarian said:

You're a professional idler. It's even better

Do these metrics include unallocated or unused resources?

Both of them :smile:

• @remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

Why media library so small?

• @Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

I haven't had time to expand my media library. I spent too much time buying chickens. And fighting with farmers who gave me sick chickens.

More seriously, can you tell us more about this server? Don't tell me you don't do anything with such a beast?

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

I haven't had time to expand my media library. I spent too much time buying chickens. And fighting with farmers who gave me sick chickens.

More seriously, can you tell us more about this server? Don't tell me you don't do anything with such a beast?

It's literally been idling for 6 months (dual Xeon). It's like the 4th time I've even logged into it. Nothings running besides Ubuntu OS fresh install.

Idling chicken is delicious

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • @Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

It's literally been idling for 6 months (dual Xeon). It's like the 4th time I've even logged into it. Nothings running besides Ubuntu OS fresh install.

I think you hold the record for the most expensive idling in town.

• @remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

I think that goes to AWS, they have tons of spare unused servers idling

• @remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

Also, I thought everyone on LET was idling?

• @Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

Also, I thought everyone on LET was idling?

Nobody finds pleasure in saying this in public except you.

• @Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:

@remy said:

@Moopah said:
    Mega idler

Can I rent from you so I can idle it too?

• I only have 35 VMs and servers now, so proud of myself!

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

I've got 23 chickens and 15 baby chicks. 80%~ idling. I name them after anime characters.

I enjoy testing providers, it's like an internet adventure. Sometimes you find unique things, sometimes you get scammed.

Thanked by 1Naomii
  • I have literally lost hundreds of thousands of dollars on LET if along the idlers I take into account the bitcoins i lost to the ssl scammer @xoxo.

• I have 15~20 and most of them are idling. When I'd like to test something new, I would never wake them up and just order a new chicken and that's why I have more and more.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • You're right. This will be my last post. I'm going off. Goodbye LET