Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for shared hosting that doesn’t have a lot of customers
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Looking for shared hosting that doesn’t have a lot of customers

I’m looking for shared webhosting on a host that does not have a lot of customers, has high uptime, DDoS protection, a CPU that’s not like a 2670v2 (need better single threaded performance for php), and NodeJS app support.

I’m currently on Racknerd’s $8.5/yr BF2020 50 GB plan. I love Racknerd, but there’s too many users on the node, causing my website to time out at some times. Last month, I asked them if they can moved my website to a less congested node, and they moved it to their newest node. However, the system load is currently “48.49 26.67 22.54” on CPU Intel Xeon E5-1650v3. Of course I can get an overkill server to do it myself, but it won’t be configured by professionals with Litespeed, KernelCare, etc.

My budget is around $10/year.

Comments

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

@landnever said: I’m currently on Racknerd’s $8.5/yr BF2020 50 GB plan. I love Racknerd, but there’s too many users on the node, causing my website to time out at some times.

@landnever said: My budget is around $10/year.

You answered your own question right there.

Up your budget, and you get more performance.

• So basically you want an unpopular host. Being unpopular is likely going to be for the reason of bad quality or overly expensive pricing. Pick your poison i guess.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@totally_not_banned said:
    So basically you want an unpopular host. Being unpopular is likely going to be for the reason of bad quality or overly expensive pricing. Pick your poison i guess.

He can also get good packages with good performance at good hosts (popular, and less popular). But not at that price.

For example i could a dedicated resource vps (2vCores, 8gb ram, 64GB SSD) and include a 30 domain apiscp license. But the monthly price that would be 1.5x to 2x his yearly budget.... The Performance would be great tho...

• woodster050woodster050 Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

I Feel like > @totally_not_banned said:

So basically you want an unpopular host. Being unpopular is likely going to be for the reason of bad quality or overly expensive pricing. Pick your poison i guess.

I Agree with the above reply, we Offer web hosting with much higher performance, with Litespeed but charge a minimum of £2.50 a Month, Host's really need to stop bidding for the lowest price and compete on product rather than cheapest.

https://ganderweb.co.uk/index.php?rp=/store/web-hosting

• edited December 2023

By the way:

the system load is currently “48.49 26.67 22.54” on CPU Intel Xeon E5-1650v3

Strong AlphaRack vibes here! This is a 6c/12t CPU with no dual support and litterally a generation older than what i use to surf the web... at a whopping load of 48.49 26.67 22.54. Jesus fking christ.

Thanked by 1thane
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Double your budget and I'll give you my basic 10GB NVMe plan for a limited time.

https://extravm.com/webhosting.php

But you get what you pay for. Can't expect excellent quality for $8/y especially with a host who is obviously known to everyone for packing customers to achieve unprofitable deals.

Thanked by 1nick_

@totally_not_banned said: .. at a whopping load of 48.49 26.67 22.54

Irrelevant, that only means there are active processes. All of those processes could be using 0 resources if they are in some sort of wait state for example, or are just generally light.

It's quite weak indicator of actual load.
    Even back in the early 00s i had nodes running 600-700 load, but completely responsive and everything was snappy -> It was email server, and each of those processes were full of all kinds of wait states.

• edited December 2023

@PulsedMedia said:

Irrelevant, that only means there are active processes. All of those processes could be using 0 resources if they are in some sort of wait state for example, or are just generally light.

Even back in the early 00s i had nodes running 600-700 load, but completely responsive and everything was snappy -> It was email server, and each of those processes were full of all kinds of wait states.

Interesting. I haven't ever seen this yet. It being a webserver and those processes likely being fpm workers i'd have my doubts if all they are doing is waiting though. Besides there's probably a bit more to it also as a default install usually has quite a bit of processes waiting with load still being practically zero.

• lnxlnx Member, Patron Provider

We have some packages in this range for $5 and $10/year with a coupon 75OFF2023. The shared server is on an AMD Epyc processor and is not overloaded. Our main focuses are on VPS and dedicated servers, but shared hosting is what we've done the longest.

https://billing.linveo.com/order/main/packages/sharedhosting/?group_id=1

• labzelabze Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Well, sounds like HostBrr would be a perfect fit for you. For $10/year our DirectAdmin plans include:
    50 GB NVMe Gen4 SSD
    Unmetered Bandwidth
    Unlimited features (domains, databases, e-mail accounts and so on)
    CloudLinux powered, LiteSpeed Webserver, KernelCare, Daily Backups.

Powered by the newest AMD Ryzen CPUs for top-end performance. Available in Germany, Singapore and USA.
    Just $10/year.

https://my.hostbrr.com/order/main/index/directadmin

Thanked by 1HuntersPad

@PulsedMedia said:

Interesting. I haven't ever seen this yet. It being a webserver and those processes likely being fpm workers i'd have my doubts if all they are doing is waiting though. Besides there's probably a bit more to it also as a default install usually has quite a bit of processes waiting with load still being practically zero.

Quick google;

Linux load average is a metric that shows the number of tasks currently executed by the CPU and tasks waiting in the queue.

You could have all your processes waiting in queue for one reason or another, yet CPU is near 0% and I/O is near 0%.

It's not that common; But that means load is only an indicator of activity; not actual resource usage load.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Courteous tag to @dustinc

• @risharde said:

[enter ChatGPT generated PR response here]

• edited December 2023

@sillycat said:

@risharde said:

WOW!

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep
    edited December 2023

@PulsedMedia said:

True, had a managed customer with large VM from contabo, was working all fine but loads were in 100s of thousands all time, wish I had screenshot here.

And for situation like this, we simply offer higher priced plans and less congested servers.

• JasonhyperhostJasonhyperhost Member, Patron Provider

@landnever said:
    I’m looking for shared webhosting on a host that does not have a lot of customers, has high uptime, DDoS protection, a CPU that’s not like a 2670v2 (need better single threaded performance for php), and NodeJS app support.

I’m currently on Racknerd’s $8.5/yr BF2020 50 GB plan. I love Racknerd, but there’s too many users on the node, causing my website to time out at some times. Last month, I asked them if they can moved my website to a less congested node, and they moved it to their newest node. However, the system load is currently “48.49 26.67 22.54” on CPU Intel Xeon E5-1650v3. Of course I can get an overkill server to do it myself, but it won’t be configured by professionals with Litespeed, KernelCare, etc.

We can offer on our UK Shared Hosting if your interested

all our Web Plans still have our Christmas deal on All Plans 50% off till the very last day of the month the discount if valid on monthly or yearly plans

• dustincdustinc Member, Patron Provider, Top Host
    edited December 2023

Hi @landnever -- Thank You for choosing us as your provider! As you pointed out, single threaded performance for PHP is essential - exactly one of the primary reasons why we strategically run all of our cPanel shared hosting servers with CPU's that are 3 GHz or higher in clockspeeds. And as you pointed out, the fact that our shared hosting platform includes premium software such as cPanel (in an era where many providers are offering less desirable control panels), Litespeed, Softaculous, cpGuard, MailChannels Hybrid, KernelCare, Litespeed, DDoS protection, and more - is truly a great value/bundle.

We do tick all your requirements/boxes you mentioned, and I would not want for something I imagine can be addressed, to be a reason for us to stop doing business together, so I do want to clarify some things here if that's ok with you. We take performance extremely seriously at RackNerd, and in my 15+ years of experience in this industry, I've personally seen first-hand, plenty of the larger web hosts (think EIG brands) deploy with Dual Xeon E5 shared hosting servers (~ 2 GHz per core) and thus pack thousands of accounts per server. While that allows the hosting provider to pack more accounts per server due to the large number of CPU cores -- such a set up isn't very ideal for PHP or single threaded performance (as you mentioned). From day one, RackNerd has avoided that, and instead chose to deploy shared hosting servers with processors that prioritize higher clockspeeds/single threaded performance, with significantly less accounts per server. Striking a balance between hardware design, deployments, and customer needs has always been a key focus for us. While we are not perfect (machines aren't perfect and neither are humans), I can confidently say that performance concerns have been exceptionally rare in the many years we've been operating. They are rare to begin with, when they do pop up, we're usually on it right away.

We also take proactive monitoring measures across our entire fleet of servers (i.e. with custom Grafana dashboards, among other tools) and monitor the health of all servers 24x7 to ensure optimal performance and stability. With that being said, I do recall a conversation in our internal Slack channel earlier this morning with regards to one of our shared hosting servers getting a RAID array rebuild done, so if you happen to be on that server, that could of been the cause for the earlier temporary load spike (now done/resolved).

With the nature of any shared environments, load averages will always fluctuate as well (i.e. daily backups, cron jobs, etc), but despite any fluctuations, it should not come to a point where real world website load times/performance is impacted. Also, as of right now I took a look at our monitoring dashboards and see that our entire shared hosting fleet has no load warnings at the time of writing this message. If you would still like to discuss this matter further or are looking for a different resolution path, please feel free to reach out to me at [email protected] and I'll be happy to personally take a look at your account, review the details, and assist accordingly :)

Thanked by 1HuntersPad
  • gbzret4dgbzret4d Member
    edited December 2023

@SGraf said:

He can also get good packages with good performance at good hosts (popular, and less popular). But not at that price.

For example i could a dedicated resource vps (2vCores, 8gb ram, 64GB SSD) and include a 30 domain apiscp license. But the monthly price that would be 1.5x to 2x his yearly budget.... The Performance would be great tho...

That's an absolutely fantastic price!
    Would such offer be available in vienna?

• I have a budget of $13/yr and my need is to host a production website, what should I pick?
    1. BuyShared hosting
    2. RackNerd hosting
    3. RackNerd vps

• @mekr said:
    I have a budget of $13/yr and my need is to host a production website, what should I pick?
    1. BuyShared hosting
    2. RackNerd hosting
    3. RackNerd vps

What kind of production website? If I had to choose one of those, it would be buyshared.

Thanked by 1mekr
  • nullednulled Member
    edited December 2023

Ultimately the stated specs do not matter at all, it is more about how many people they are squeezing on a server.

Perhaps if you up your budget to around $2 per month you can start to have some expectations, less if you can find a deal.

But in any case throw a CDN such as cloudflare in front or quick cloud if you are on a LS/WP/LSC stack.

• Can you setup, maintain and troubleshoot a web stack?

@mekr said:
    I have a budget of $13/yr and my need is to host a production website, what should I pick?
    1. BuyShared hosting
    2. RackNerd hosting
    3. RackNerd vps

• How did you know?

@sillycat said:

@risharde said:

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @nulled said:
    Can you setup, maintain and troubleshoot a web stack?

What do spiders have to do with this, bro?

• What kind of production website? If I had to choose one of those, it would be buyshared.

A landing page with a billing system (Blesta/Clientexec). I will use CDN for all static assets so the load shouldn't be huge but I want the billing panel to be responsive. Not expecting a lot of traffic but there might be spikes. Also, I would like your choice b/w Blesta & Clientexec.

• Absolutely nothing, he/she was asking about going with a vps or shared hosting.

If you are considering shared hsting the answere is probably pretty clear.

@user123 said:

@nulled said:

• @nulled said:
    Absolutely nothing, he/she was asking about going with a vps or shared hosting.

If you are considering shared hsting the answere is probably pretty clear.

@user123 said:

@nulled said:

The /s was implied :)

• mekrmekr Member
    edited December 2023

@nulled said:

Yes. I did install Clientexec trial version on a 1GB ram vps and it worked although not sure about how much it would scale.

• @landnever said:

I agree that running your own VPS will be a lot more costly and time consuming if you wish all the good stuff.

But your budget is the equivalent of looking for a good sports car with a budget of $1,000. If anyone would offer that, I'd take a very, very good look at the suspension and the stuff under the hood.

I would say that about $5 per month is a realistic price for a sustainable high-quality shared hosting service, software & infrastructure - but without much tech. support hand-holding.

Relja

• SGrafSGraf Member, Patron Provider

@gbzret4d said:

@SGraf said:

That's an absolutely fantastic price!
    Would such offer be available in vienna?

In Vienna, i don't have the VM Cluster tied into my billing portal, as i pretty much only deploy VM's for managed services there. So if you can live without "self-management"/panel for VM-reinstalls: Then yes - We can work something out.