Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OVH NVMe Soft Raid Dedicated Server Custom ISO installing
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

OVH NVMe Soft Raid Dedicated Server Custom ISO installing

I'm having trouble installing Centos 6 on OVH Rise server.
Centos 6 is discontinued so I must use QEMU-KVM from rescue-mode. not a problem but
when I complete the installation and then reboot, it just won't boot or does not detect the boot.
What am I doing wrong? First time setting up NVMe raid. I had no problem doing this with SSD.
I actually have no idea how to raid this nvme or my qemu options must be wrong...
Should I just buy extra OVH support service? Would they help me out?

Comments

• edited December 2023

@sangdogg said:
    Centos 6 is discontinued so I must use QEMU-KVM from rescue-mode. not a problem but
    when I complete the installation and then reboot, it just won't boot or does not detect the boot.
    What am I doing wrong? First time setting up NVMe raid. I had no problem doing this with SSD.
    I actually have no idea how to raid this nvme or my qemu options must be wrong...

Are you sure it won't boot (as in checked by VNC/KVM)? Sorry, i'm not familiar with OVH but that's probably the first thing to check.

Also how to you pass the NVMe disks to Qemu? If Qemu emulates them as regular sata drives the resulting config probably isn't very sane.

• Why just not to use IPMI? It has feature to mount ISO. As it's OVH Rise, it has IPMI.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@sangdogg said:

Are you sure it won't boot (as in checked by VNC/KVM)? Sorry, i'm not familiar with OVH but that's probably the first thing to check.

Also how to you pass the NVMe disks to Qemu? If Qemu emulates them as regular sata drives the resulting config probably isn't very sane.

I monitor the boot process through IPMI after the VNC installation through QEMU

• @CalmDown said:
    Why just not to use IPMI? It has feature to mount ISO. As it's OVH Rise, it has IPMI.

Web version or Java version? and how do you insert the ISO through IPMI?

• edited December 2023

@sangdogg said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@sangdogg said:

I see and your not even getting into the boot loader? Could it be that your server wants to boot EFI and Centos 6 doesn't support that? In any case i think Qemu still does legacy boot by default i think.

Also in regards to software raid the question as to how Qemu presents the NVMe disks to the emulated system still stands. NVMe disks won't have the usual device names but unless you use PCI passthrough my guess would be that Qemu emulates them as plain and simple SATA drives.

• sangdoggsangdogg Member
    edited December 2023

@sangdogg said:

@sangdogg said:

I see and your not even getting into the boot loader? Could it be that your server wants to boot EFI and Centos 6 doesn't support that? In any case i think Qemu still does legacy boot by default i think.

Also in regards to software raid the question as to how Qemu presents the NVMe disks to the emulated system still stands. NVMe disks won't have the usual device names but unless you use PCI passthrough my guess would by that Qemu emulates them as plain and simple SATA drives.

Right, it doesn't get to the boot loader... and I see the Motherboard the server use is kind of new model (AsRock) so would it be that Centos 6 doesn't support UEFI? Does that mean I can't use Centos 6?

• edited December 2023

@sangdogg said:

@sangdogg said:

@sangdogg said:

Also in regards to software raid the question as to how Qemu presents the NVMe disks to the emulated system still stands. NVMe disks won't have the usual device names but unless you use PCI passthrough my guess would by that Qemu emulates them as plain and simple SATA drives.

Right, it doesn't get to the boot loader... and I see the Motherboard the server use is kind of new model (AsRock) so would it be that Centos 6 doesn't support UEFI? Does that mean I can't use Centos 6?

Well, that's beyond my knowledge as i don't use CentOS. Unless you have an option to select EFI during install it's probably not (at least easily) available as like i said Qemu will do legacy boot and even if it supports EFI that's what the installer is likely to choose as default.

If you can get into the BIOS there might be a chance to change it from EFI only to legacy boot but that kind of depends on the board/BIOS.

In regards to Qemu i'm not sure if newer versions are able to do EFI boot, which might help in nudging the installer towards choosing the right thing during setup.

Thanked by 1BilohBucks
  • @sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:
    Why just not to use IPMI? It has feature to mount ISO. As it's OVH Rise, it has IPMI.

Web version is also fine.

Open a web version and there will be a button on the right side to select a media. Mount iso, reboot, open bios to select to boot from ISO and boom, you will proceed with installation in proper way.

• @CalmDown said:

@sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:

Open a web version and there will be a button on the right side to select a media. Mount iso, reboot, open bios to select to boot from ISO and boom, you will proceed with installation in proper way.

Thank you! It took a while but yeah I was able to install centos 6. however now it doesn't get IP (dhcp) from the gateway, not sure if default sysconfig network-script should work. have you had this experience as well?

• edited December 2023

@sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:

@sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:

Thank you! It took a while but yeah I was able to install centos 6. however now it doesn't get IP (dhcp) from the gateway, not sure if default sysconfig network-script should work. have you had this experience as well?

I'm not the one asked but at the very worst you could do a quick default installation of whatever distribution using OVH's web interface and write down what kind of network configuration it uses. Then you adjust your CentOS to these settings and voila: Network. You probably even could get them from the rescue system.

• jon617jon617 Veteran
    edited December 2023

I think ovh requires EFI boot, FYI. Also, I noticed on some ovh boxes with NVMe that the drive order can change on each boot, so I noticed when using their template installers, they put /boot/efi on both drives.

@sangdogg said: however now it doesn't get IP (dhcp)

Grab the network info from the control panel, and manually set up the network-scripts.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:

@sangdogg said:

@CalmDown said:

I'm not the one asked but at the very worst you could do a quick default installation of whatever distribution using OVH's web interface and write down what kind of network configuration it uses. Then you adjust your CentOS to these settings and voila: Network. You probably even could get them from the rescue system.

the server thinks the eth0 and eth1's cable disconnected.
    i was able to get IPs using dhclient eth0
    and i have no time to troubleshoot this issue so I just added that command to rc.local then it works fine everytime reboot now.
    thank you buddy, I would most likely waste days for installing custom iso without you.
    and i hope this post helps someone who faces the same issue.

• @jon617 said:
    I think ovh requires EFI boot, FYI. Also, I noticed on some ovh boxes with NVMe that the drive order can change on each boot, so I noticed when using their template installers, they put /boot/efi on both drives.

@sangdogg said: however now it doesn't get IP (dhcp)

Grab the network info from the control panel, and manually set up the network-scripts.

I was able to install it with java IPMI and inserting the ISO onto it. took a while but it worked.
    qemu-kvm installation method would create /dev/sda partitions while the physical machine has it on /dev/nvme0 so, java IPMI installation correctly partition on /dev/nvme0
    i'm not sure if centos 6 would do the softraid nvme correctly so i just used the ovh template centos 7 first and then wiped them all with java ipmi centos 6.0 installation using the same partition that ovh template used.
    and then the kernel startup couldnt detect IPs so I just had to dhclient after boot up thus rc.local has that line now. everything works fine!

• @sangdogg said:
    the server thinks the eth0 and eth1's cable disconnected.
    i was able to get IPs using dhclient eth0

That's pretty strange as DHCP shouldn't work either if there's supposedly no cable but oh well maybe CentOS is simply getting a bit old and grumpy by now.

thank you buddy, I would most likely waste days for installing custom iso without you.

Any time :)