Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Need solution for Catch All domain email address
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Need solution for Catch All domain email address

Hello I have been using MXRoute for years but they have some kind of issue with one of my domains that I use for catch all

I just sign up for random sites and use it to receive emails, rarely send and MXRoute disabled my domain since yesterday so I can't get any emails anymore, which is annoying because there are some sites I use to login using this domain.

I am looking for another place to host it now to get it back running ASAP.

I never setup a mailserver VPS before and don't really want to do that.

Any good options to host a catch-all email domain?

Comments

• kenjing789kenjing789 Member
    edited December 2023

Cloudflare catch all and forward if you only the user

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2023

What you mean to say is that you use a catchall and randomly generated aliases/names to create an unusual number of accounts on websites. It's not "just using a catchall" it's some kind of fraudulent activity, and I'm rightfully concerned that "blocking MXroute" might be a viable short term solution for those websites to halt fraud on their platforms. Especially if you and 500 other customers all do the same thing, which is why I'm so rightfully concerned that I enshrined that concern in policy long ago.

So you should add to your request "A catchall with a provider that isn't concerned about being used as part of fraudulent activity." There's only 1 ticket I've opened with any correlation to this request in the last 24 hours, so I'd doubt that I'm not correctly referring to it.

I'm not upset with you or anything like that. If you can explain in the ticket how I'm wrong, and you simply have 32 exceptionally diverse friends/family members who all share one inbox for their {major transportation company} accounts, I'll make it right.

It’s very hard to maintain the reputation that we’ve built, at our size. We have to be more blameless than anyone else to hold that position. One major corporation deciding we’re a thorn in their side could end everything I’ve built. As we grow, I get better at detecting policy violations, especially where I think those policies are key to preventing that scenario. I’m more heavy handed than other companies of our size, but other companies our size tend to have more reputation issues. It’s only when you reach the size of Google or Microsoft that everyone else gets the blame for your reputation issues. Until that day, every single reputation issue is called my fault, and I do what I need to do.

• @jar said:
    What you mean to say is that you use a catchall and randomly generated aliases/names to create an unusual number of accounts on websites. It's not "just using a catchall" it's some kind of fraudulent activity, and I'm rightfully concerned that "blocking MXroute" might be a viable short term solution for those websites to halt fraud on their platforms. Especially if you and 500 other customers all do the same thing, which is why I'm so rightfully concerned that I enshrined that concern in policy long ago.

So you should add to your request "A catchall with a provider that isn't concerned about being used as part of fraudulent activity." There's only 1 ticket I've opened with any correlation to this request in the last 24 hours, so I'd doubt that I'm not correctly referring to it.

I'm not upset with you or anything like that. If you can explain in the ticket how I'm wrong, and you simply have 32 exceptionally diverse friends/family members who all share one inbox for their {major transportation company} accounts, I'll make it right.

It’s very hard to maintain the reputation that we’ve built, at our size. We have to be more blameless than anyone else to hold that position. One major corporation deciding we’re a thorn in their side could end everything I’ve built. As we grow, I get better at detecting policy violations, especially where I think those policies are key to preventing that scenario. I’m more heavy handed than other companies of our size, but other companies our size tend to have more reputation issues. It’s only when you reach the size of Google or Microsoft that everyone else gets the blame for your reputation issues. Until that day, every single reputation issue is called my fault, and I do what I need to do.

So, is there a limit to the number of mailboxes that can be created? For example, I currently have 3,200 customers (and will have more in the future), can I assign an email address to each customer? I've been using mxroute since 2021 but I've only assigned email addresses to 60 clients and I'm worried that creating too many mailboxes will be judged as abuse.

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

So, is there a limit to the number of mailboxes that can be created? For example, I currently have 3,200 customers (and will have more in the future), can I assign an email address to each customer? I've been using mxroute since 2021 but I've only assigned email addresses to 60 clients and I'm worried that creating too many mailboxes will be judged as abuse.

No, it’s about deceptive/fraudulent activity with third parties.

For example, let’s say you make a catch all on your domain. So I can make up any name @ your domain and it always goes to one inbox. Now, let’s imagine that you registered for 500 Steam accounts with [email protected]. So either you have 500 friends who all use Steam and share one inbox, or you were trying to trick Steam into thinking you are 500 people. The latter would be the only reasonable assumption, right? Otherwise it’d be absurd for 500 people to share a single inbox for entertainment, especially when emailed login codes are a thing.

My problem is that I don’t want Steam saying “hey we have a TON of fake accounts, and 70% of them go to this weird MXroute company. We can create other solutions, but if we block MXroute right now we instantly reduce this problem by 70%.” And then, suddenly, no one on MXroute can have a Steam account. Suddenly MXroute is unusable for a legitimate, highly desirable use case, because I didn’t stop the platform from being used fraudulently.

Steam isn’t relevant in the case of this thread, but Steam was exactly why I made the policy. People were actually doing that. Does that make sense?

• @jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

For example, let’s say you make a catch all on your domain. So I can make up any name @ your domain and it always goes to one inbox. Now, let’s imagine that you registered for 500 Steam accounts with [email protected]. So either you have 500 friends who all use Steam and share one inbox, or you were trying to trick Steam into thinking you are 500 people. The latter would be the only reasonable assumption, right? Otherwise it’d be absurd for 500 people to share a single inbox for entertainment, especially when emailed login codes are a thing.

My problem is that I don’t want Steam saying “hey we have a TON of fake accounts, and 70% of them go to this weird MXroute company. We can create other solutions, but if we block MXroute right now we instantly reduce this problem by 70%.” And then, suddenly, no one on MXroute can have a Steam account. Suddenly MXroute is unusable for a legitimate, highly desirable use case, because I didn’t stop the platform from being used fraudulently.

Steam isn’t relevant in the case of this thread, but Steam was exactly why I made the policy. People were actually doing that. Does that make sense?

What if i am using [email protected]? will it count as sus?

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

If you’re using it to trick other companies into thinking you’re a whole bunch of different people when you’re one person, maybe?

Thanked by 1TrK
  • @jar said:

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

If you’re using it to trick other companies into thinking you’re a whole bunch of different people when you’re one person, maybe?

Nah i am thinking of using it to help me in case some website decides to leak the data(recent cloudie breach) so the dump only got an email that isn't used somewhere else, something within those lines.

Thanked by 1jar

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

Nah i am thinking of using it to help me in case some website decides to leak the data(recent cloudie breach) so the dump only got an email that isn't used somewhere else, something within those lines.

That’s quite common and I think it would be absurd for it to not be okay. I’m only targeting people who appear to be engaging in fraud, using MXroute as a major part of facilitating it.

Thanked by 1TrK
  • @jar said:

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

That’s quite common and I think it would be absurd for it to not be okay. I’m only targeting people who appear to be engaging in fraud, using MXroute as a major part of facilitating it.

Thanks but i am not into tricking some kids, its a different story if it works on you though!

Thanked by 1jar
  • @TrK
    I think I read that MXroute supports plus/+ addressing?

So one way would be to sign up on websites as yourname+websiteXYZ@yourdomain

Helps to easily filter and should help you identify the source if your email address leaks and starts getting spam, etc.

Thanked by 1TrK
  • @ZA_capetown said:
    @TrK
    I think I read that MXroute supports plus/+ addressing?

So one way would be to sign up on websites as yourname+websiteXYZ@yourdomain

Helps to easily filter and should help you identify the source if your email address leaks and starts getting spam, etc.

Thanks looks like i will be spamming jar for a promo very soon :D

Thanked by 1ZA_capetown
  • MustafaMustafa Member
    edited December 2023
    Thanked by 1xaitmi
  • @TrK said:

I finally got one on Xmas, but haven't used mine yet... and I probably don't really need it, but I've always really wanted one.

And with the Xmas special of $2/year ($6/3years) for the 10GB package, it was just too amazing of a special not to get... so I decided to go a week without food and join the MXroute club. B)

Not sure if there are maybe still some remaining, you might be lucky enough to still grab one.

Thanked by 1TrK
  • @ZA_capetown said:

@TrK said:

I finally got one on Xmas, but haven't used mine yet... and I probably don't really need it, but I've always really wanted one.

And with the Xmas special of $2/year ($6/3years) for the 10GB package, it was just too amazing of a special not to get... so I decided to go a week without food and join the MXroute club. B)

Not sure if there are maybe still some remaining, you might be lucky enough to still grab one.

Well unable to find the offer thread :neutral:

• @TrK said:

@ZA_capetown said:

@TrK said:

It's a flash deal in the mega thread.

• TrKTrK Member
    edited December 2023

@mrs92 said:

@TrK said:

@ZA_capetown said:

@TrK said:

It's a flash deal in the mega thread.

Ouchies :| looks like it's not there anymore.

• xaitmixaitmi Member
    edited December 2023

Update: MXRoute re-instated my domain after I cleared it up in ticket but I am still interested in how to self-host this myself in the future as I think it's pretty cool.

Like having a site like https://mail.tm/en but completely self-hosted with my own domains

• @xaitmi said: Like having a site like https://mail.tm/en but completely self-hosted with my own domains

You can use this if you want it for your own usage: https://github.com/anonaddy/anonaddy

• @TrK said:

@jar said:

@TrK said:

@jar said:

@MoeMoe said:

@jar said:

i was doing that until someone spam me to some non exist email name receiver,and i opened catch-all at that time...