Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beware of Hosting Nightmares in the name of DMCA Ignored: My Experience with AlexHost
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Beware of Hosting Nightmares in the name of DMCA Ignored: My Experience with AlexHost

unknown2023unknown2023 Member
edited December 2023 in Reviews

Hey LowEndTalk community,

I wanted to share my recent experience with AlexHost, and unfortunately, it's not a positive one. I believe it's crucial for fellow users to be aware of the issues I've encountered, so here's a breakdown:

Background: I run an Android App store from 2015. It acts as a alternative to Google Playstore for people who don't have access to primary source. I only mirror free apps from Google Play (no user uploads, not tampered of anykind).

Today My VPS got suddenly suspended for false Phishing attack. Generally these so called security companies send DMCA to remove the content (I have DMCA form at my site and I act promptly). I remove them within 48hrs. but some of them started sending these Takedown request as "Phishing" attack. (so, that hosting providers kick us out, kind of direct attack).

Ignored User Concerns: Despite reaching out for assistance, it seemed like my concerns fell on deaf ears. Communication was lacking, and the support team didn't seem interested in addressing my issues.

**Backup Woes: ** I reached out for assistance in recovering my data. Shockingly, the response was not only a confirmation that backups were not part of the plan but also a blunt statement that I could never retrieve my data. This is their exact statement: "we don't even provide backup, your server will remain suspended"

**DMCA Ignorance: **Initially attracted to their claim of DMCA ignorance, it turns out this might not be entirely accurate. My server got suspended based on questionable claims, showcasing a lack of due diligence on their part.

**Vulnerability to False Reports: **What's alarming is how easily a server can be suspended based on fake phishing emails. They never do due diligence.

**Unconcerning Support Team: **The support team exhibited a lack of empathy and understanding. Even when faced with evidence contradicting the reasons for the suspension, there was no willingness to reconsider.

I share this not to tarnish a company's reputation but to ensure that others are informed about potential pitfalls. When choosing a hosting provider, it's crucial to consider not just the features but also the responsiveness and reliability of the support team.

Thanked by 2lowenddude wangyuidl

Comments

• Why were you phishing?

• @plumberg said:
    Thank you ChatGTP

I am not native english speaker. and I don't want to write a post in broken english. but I can provide proofs if anyone wants ( in private chat)

• @akaemu said:
    Why were you phishing?

Not Phishing. Read the nature of site I have mentioned.

These so called security companies send DMCA to remove the content (I have DMCA form at my site and I act promptly). I remove them within 48hrs. but some of them started sending these Takedown requests as with "Phishing" attack tag. (so, that hosting providers kick us out, kind of direct attack). Thats what happened today.

• LeeLee Veteran

@unknown2023 said: DMCA Ignorance

A provider that ignores DMCA does not necessarily mean they ignore everything you are doing to get one in the first place.

• @unknown2023 said:

@akaemu said:
    Why were you phishing?

These so called security companies send DMCA to remove the content (I have DMCA form at my site and I act promptly). I remove them within 48hrs. but some of them started sending these Takedown requests as with "Phishing" attack tag. (so, that hosting providers kick us out, kind of direct attack). Thats what happened today.

Post url here. Let us decide.

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • unknown2023unknown2023 Member
    edited December 2023

@LeroyJ said:

@unknown2023 said:

@akaemu said:
    Why were you phishing?

Post url here. Let us decide.

No, Thanks. but similar to apkpure.com

• unknown2023unknown2023 Member
    edited December 2023

@Lee said:

A provider that ignores DMCA does not necessarily mean they ignore everything you are doing to get one in the first place.

I agree that they don't want to risk their resource for a small $. but, I asked them to provide backup. they said no in a manner which I never expected from them.

• LeeLee Veteran

You joined today, and we only have your side, unless @alexhost is willing to give their side, which I don't believe that they should have to, then all we have is a dubious review by a new, untrusted user.

• @Lee said:
    You joined today, and we only have your side, unless @alexhost is willing to give their side, which I don't believe that they should have to, then all we have is a dubious review by a new, untrusted user.

I don't nobody to provide solution or the justice. I just want to say thats how they operate.

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

If your site is truly legit, then authorities are the right way for takedowns, not some random unknown 3rd party sending email.

Sometimes it's clear there's an issue, clear phishing, scams etc. but if there's any shadow of doubt; Take it to the authorities and let them decide. That's why they are there.
    That's my personal thinking.

DMCA notices are like 99% fake regardless.
    I'm not even joking, we did some research of this for Cogent back around ~2016. Legit ones might be multiplied by thousands of times regularly, but most are actually bogus to begin with.

OP should tell us more about his service, and he already mentioned it was just a VPS; Few euros a month doesn't warrant much due diligence; It's easier for the host just to kick out if there was any undue burden if it's just couple euros a month than start legal fights on behalf of OP.

I would bet that AlexHost got some trouble which warranted some human effort; and OP was paying them like 10€ a month --> There was doubts of legitimacy of the service, or the costs to do legal fighting on behalf of OP -> Kicking out is the easiest.

Provider always has the right to choose their customers. It's not a right to be able to use a service, but a privilege.

• @unknown2023 said:

@plumberg said:
    Thank you ChatGTP

I am not native english speaker. and I don't want to write a post in broken english. but I can provide proofs if anyone wants ( in private chat)

i understand, but I am thanking ChatGPT that helped you deliver this message in crisp way to us.

Thanked by 2PulsedMedia greentea
  • @unknown2023 said:

@Lee said:

I agree that they don't want to risk their resource for a small $. but, I asked them to provide backup. they said no in a manner which I never expected from them.

but, why did you assume there will be backups? I do not remember many hosts offering backups standard and even if they do - its users responsibility to ensure they have latest backups at all times.

So, since 2015, you have been lucky to not have any data loss issues. Good for you.

Lets take this for a scenario - there was no false phishing. But, providers' system failed due to disk corruption (happens more often than ever) - what would you have done?

I think its a great learning experience - to have multiple redundant copies of data.

• Unlikely, but if they, for whatever reason, have recieved a lawsuit initiated by a court of Moldavia (thats there location, right?) they do have to take action - they probably care less about you as a customer as the potential lawsuit.

• Ok now let’s hear the provider’s version of the story.
    @alexhost

• this is scary.

• Well i don't trust alexhost with my stuff, there's something that's making me avoid them at all costs.

Thanked by 1gbzret4d
  • @unknown2023 were any of those Android app created by you?
    If not, did you contact the app owner/creator for permission to host them off playstore?

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@Lee said:
    unless @alexhost is willing to give their side, which I don't believe that they should have to

Why would he not want to give his side?

• @TrK said:
    Well i don't trust alexhost with my stuff, there's something that's making me avoid them at all costs.

They look like a fish, they smell like a fish and they feel like a fish so they are fishy

Thanked by 1TrK
  • use pfcloud, easy solution

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Here is small related question, as a host how to know if request is coming from actual legal authority and not some fake request ?

• @RinnDoge said:
    use pfcloud, easy solution

Are you affiliated with them? You have shilled them in 4/13 comments.

• Such victimisation and molestation.

We need to hear the chicken farmer's side of the story.

Thanked by 2op23 Mumbly
  • @unknown2023 said:

Is this ChatGPT instructed paragraph by paragraph? It's like reading some random snowflake's crap on Reddit.

• @Lee said:

I can confirm. I'm not sure why anyone here says they're DMCA ignored or whatever.

Simple abuse can lead to a suspension and then what they say is:

"If we receive another abuse your services will be terminated instantly"

So, Alexhost's owner might be a clone of Gordon P. from Incero.

• @sillycat said:

@RinnDoge said:

Are you affiliated with them? You have shilled them in 4/13 comments.

Most likely.

• @RinnDoge said:

Its operated by skids, just like KUXO and other shit hosts, this time by German.

Thanked by 2sillycat Void
  • edited December 2023

@alexvolk said:

@Lee said:

I can confirm. I'm not sure why anyone here says they're DMCA ignored or whatever.

Simple abuse can lead to a suspension and then what they say is:

"If we receive another abuse your services will be terminated instantly"

So, Alexhost's owner might be a clone of Gordon P. from Incero.

They have kind of a reputation from the past way beyond the silly DMCA stuff. Maybe they changed, maybe it depends on the size of payment, i don't know. I somewhat suspect it's the latter though. On the other hand the open advertisement of DMCA-ignored services kind of raises some red flags in my opinion as abuse ignorant hosts usually don't communicate any of that to the outside for obvious reasons.

• @totally_not_banned said:
    They have kind of a reputation from the past way beyond the silly DMCA stuff. Maybe they changed, maybe it depends on the size of payment, i don't know. I somewhat suspect it's the latter though. On the other hand the open advertisement of DMCA-ignored services kind of raises some red flags in my opinion as abuse ignorant hosts usually don't communicate any of that to the outside for obvious reasons.

Maybe their initial plan was to attract new customers that want to host pirated stuff and when getting too much legal trouble @alexhost decided it was enough and started terminating customers.

For the past year at least, they've been pretty strict on abuses. It doesn't matter to them if the abuse is fake.

I'm not even talking about hosting pirated stuff or doing illegal shit just one abuse and your server is gone...

I wouldn't even host favicon with them, looks sketchy and the owner acts like he is Gordon lol.