Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do i need raid with an nvme hard drive ?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Do i need raid with an nvme hard drive ?

Azhar77Azhar77 Member
edited December 2023 in Help

Hi guys,

So i have a website with millions of small static pages (comparison website, no database), i have decided to get a a hosting with a 2tb nvme, now do i need second one with RAID ? does it provide more security or is it unecessary and maybe i should just have backup copy of the site in case something goes wrong ?

Many thanks for your help

Comments

• chrisfoobarchrisfoobar Member
    edited December 2023

raid is an uptime solution not a backup/security solution. it means if a disk fails you have time to replace it without any data loss or downtime

any drive can fail

Thanked by 2lnx nick_
  • There are different types of raids which are used based on the need. The most common type in hosting environments is raid1 which basically does the mirroring (copying data to different disks as backup).

• How much faster is NVME versus non-NVME SSD?

• _MS__MS_ Member
    edited December 2023
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

RAID is not backup.
    NAT is not firewall.

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

For the minimal cost of a second NVMe, having RAID-1 will save you hassle if the single drive dies. Super easy to replace and rebuild, swap drive, run a few commands, and no data loss. If you have the extra $100 to spare or $10-20/m if rented you should do it if you're hosting literally anything of relative important.

• Azhar77Azhar77 Member
    edited December 2023

guys, i didn't mean backup, i just meant to ask if there is a benefit from having RAID in my case, in addition to having a full backup saved somewhere.

• @Azhar77 said:
    guys, i didn't mean backup, i just meant to ask if there is a benefit from having RAID in my case, in addition to having a full backup saved somewhere.

What if that backup fails? 🤔

• risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Always make a backup even if you have raid.
    Raid is to reduce the chance of data loss and also decrease maintenance in the event of a a certain level of disk failure.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@chrisfoobar said: raid is an uptime solution not a backup/security solution. it means if a disk fails you have time to replace it without any data loss or downtime

Unless the NVME is U2, or via CADDY in the server, there will be downtime as the server has too be shut-down -> opened up to change the NVME in the PCI-EX slot/adapter.

• MS said:
    Is this you, @ArrowBoi?

what?

• MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@host_c said:

@chrisfoobar said: raid is an uptime solution not a backup/security solution. it means if a disk fails you have time to replace it without any data loss or downtime

Unless the NVME is U2, or via CADDY in the server, there will be downtime as the server has too be shut-down -> opened up to change the NVME in the PCI-EX slot/adapter.

Still vastly better than the single drive dying and you having to wait hours/days to replace just to come back with zero data. Competent tech/person can swap the drive in 60 seconds, boot OS, add to array in a few minutes top and done.

• AaronWAaronW Member, Patron Provider

NVMe drives can die just like any other drives. RAID and backups are your friends.

Thanked by 2host_c fluffernutter
  • JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2023

Do you need it? No.
    Do you want it? Yes.
    Can you live without it? Yes.
    Can you live with it? Yes.
    Will it change your life? Maybe[*].

Rest was already answered:
    if you have funds - yeah, get it. If you don't have funds - don't get it.

Replacing failed drive (one of two) will take like 5 minutes and even if that shit happens at 3 am when you are drunk partying and you were not planing doing anything next day - websites still working, you can schedule drive replacement when sober.

Replacing failed drive (one of one) that died at 3 am when you were totally drunk and had no idea what is happening means... downtime, a lot of downtime and then restoring from backup on total hangover at 11 am when someone finally managed to wake you up from that nice party. Will backup work? Won't you fuck up anything? Who knows.

Is it worth it? Totally up to you and your budget.

• mgcAnamgcAna Member, Host Rep

Also, raid 1 will increase your read speed to 2x other than other benefits clearly explained here.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@mgcAna said:
    Also, raid 1 will increase your read speed to 2x other than other benefits clearly explained here.

and you will have half of the write speed :smiley:

• Got it, so raid is to speed up recovery in case of a disaster, for some reason in my head, i thought it would help serve the right data if an nvme is only partially or even minimally defective, thank you guys for your help.

• edited December 2023

Short answer: Yes. Always do RAID if you can and store any data that's even remotely important. Not only is it easier to recover but while RAID isn't a backup the RAID mirror is probably still more recent than your actual backup.