Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does VPS specs affect the VPN quality?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Does VPS specs affect the VPN quality?

Hello,

Merry Christmas everyone and happy holidays!

I was wondering, if I buy a small VPS and turned it into a VPN with OpenVPN will it work OK? Does the specs play a part in the quality? I wanna use it mainly for streaming BBC iPlayer.

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2023

That depends what kind of VPN, but most of then run even on a potato.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • Really good deal going now here also amazing speeds: https://privadovpn.com/

If you need a static IP I recommend you go to IONOS.com and take there €1 plan it comes with unlimited bandwidth 1gbps in 5 different regions really nice to setup VPN

• @JoeBiss said:
    Hello,

Merry Christmas everyone and happy holidays!

I was wondering, if I buy a small VPS and turned it into a VPN with OpenVPN will it work OK? Does the specs play a part in the quality? I wanna use it mainly for streaming BBC iPlayer.

Thanks a lot!

The things you want to look at the most is the line speed

• @JoeBiss said: f I buy a small VPS and turned it into a VPN with OpenVPN will it work OK? Does the specs play a part in the quality?

Why not? For a VPN, port speed and amount of traffic are important. Other specifications are not particularly important. It also depends on the speed of your ISP. It is possible to stream Full HD video at 10 Mbps at no problem. 512 Mb VPS is quite enough.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • The network will mostly be the trouble.

• @jenkki said:

@JoeBiss said: f I buy a small VPS and turned it into a VPN with OpenVPN will it work OK? Does the specs play a part in the quality?

Why not? For a VPN, port speed and amount of traffic are important. Other specifications are not particularly important. It also depends on the speed of your ISP. It is possible to stream Full HD video at 10 Mbps at no problem. 512 Mb VPS is quite enough.

running wireguard on a 256mb debian, no issues till now :)

• hyena56hyena56 Member
    edited December 2023

It depends on the software. Mostly due to encryption/cryptography you want to use/support where you must have atleast a good CPU for it. WireGuard is the best one out there, it consumes just a few resources unlike OpenVPN. And of course if you want a good speed then good peerings is a must and a good connection

But since its just personal/just to stream BBC, go with wireguard you'll get maximum throughput there