Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What is the difference between these two KVM services?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What is the difference between these two KVM services?

Hi everyone,

I recently came across Greencloud VPS via a forum discussion and noticed that they offer two distinct VPS services on their website, which piqued my curiosity.

NVMe KVM VPS:
20GB NVMe
1 core
2GB RAM
2TB Bandwidth
1Gbps Port
Priced at $12/month

EPYC NVMe KVM VDS:
80GB NVMe
1 dedicated EPYC Milan core
8GB RAM
4TB Bandwidth
10Gbps Port
Priced at $10/month

The first service, NVMe KVM VPS, appears to be similar to the VPS offerings I've seen on platforms like Vultr or DigitalOcean.

The second service, EPYC NVMe KVM VDS, despite offering more bandwidth, RAM, and advanced hardware than the first, is surprisingly cheaper.

Could anyone shed some light on the key differences between these two KVM services?

I'm particularly interested in understanding why the EPYC NVMe KVM VDS, which seems to offer features, is priced lower than the NVMe KVM VPS.

Thanks!

Comments

• edited December 2023
    • The second VPS proudly proclaims to be hosted on an EPYC CPU in contrast to the first VPS which is silent on the topic and likely runs on a toaster
    • The first VPS has 20GB of NVMe storage while the second VPS has 80GB of NVMe storage (which is larger than 20GB meaning you will be able to store more data)
    • Both VPS offer a single core for running instructions, moving values between registers or even between registers and memory but on the second VPS this is actually an EPYC core (which is good since it matches the CPU being used and therefore - unlike the first VPS, which for all we know could have an ARM Cortex core - is not confused about it's identity, which greatly lowers the risk for CPUicide)
    • The first VPS has 2GB of RAM which is only 1/4 of the 8GB listed for the second VPS (having more RAM is good because it's better than having less RAM)
    • The fist VPS is connected to the network with a speed of 1Gbit/s while the second VPS comes in at 10Gbit/s (in theory this would mean the second VPS being able to transfer data ten times as fast as the first VPS but in reality the whole company probably runs on a dial-up connection and they are just pulling your leg)
    • The first VPS has a monthly price of $12 (this is the amount of money you lose each month for having that VPS) while the second VPS has a monthly price of $10 (again this is the amount of money you lose each month for having that VPS but this time it's different - if like losing this amount better than the other one is something you should be seriously planning in advance)

Hope that helps!

Thanked by 2dubalie alexroeu
  • mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2023

I agree with @totally_not_banned , but there are a few things to note.

Despite one claiming to be AMD EPYC, neither tells you the clock speed. Just because it is EPYC doesn't mean it is better.

Neither tell you the speed of the NVMe, could be NVMe on SAN storage over a network...

Neither tells you the speed of the ram.

• @mrl22 said:
    I agree with @totally_not_banned , but there are a few things to note.

Despite one claiming to be AMD EPYC, neither tells you the clock speed. Just because it is EPYC doesn't mean it is better.

Neither tell you the speed of the NVMe, could be NVMe on SAN storage over a network...

Neither tells you the speed of the ram.

Good call. Lot's of uncertainty surrounding these offers. I think the host is clearly hiding something.

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@seotaro said:
    Hi everyone,

I recently came across Greencloud VPS via a forum discussion and noticed that they offer two distinct VPS services on their website, which piqued my curiosity.

NVMe KVM VPS:
    20GB NVMe
    1 core
    2GB RAM
    2TB Bandwidth
    1Gbps Port
    Priced at $12/month

EPYC NVMe KVM VDS:
    80GB NVMe
    1 dedicated EPYC Milan core
    8GB RAM
    4TB Bandwidth
    10Gbps Port
    Priced at $10/month

The first service, NVMe KVM VPS, appears to be similar to the VPS offerings I've seen on platforms like Vultr or DigitalOcean.

The second service, EPYC NVMe KVM VDS, despite offering more bandwidth, RAM, and advanced hardware than the first, is surprisingly cheaper.

Could anyone shed some light on the key differences between these two KVM services?

I'm particularly interested in understanding why the EPYC NVMe KVM VDS, which seems to offer features, is priced lower than the NVMe KVM VPS.

Thanks!

Ask them: https://greencloudvps.com/billing/submitticket.php?step=2&deptid=1

Thanked by 1Naomii
  • mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2023

@totally_not_banned said: I think the host is clearly hiding something.

I don't think they are hiding anything; just not explained what to expect. I have a lot of servers with Digital Ocean. Yes, it is a little more expensive, but I can spawn a server for a few minutes, run a benchmark, and it will cost me less than a few pence/cents. I always know what I am getting.

• @mrl22 said:
    Yes, it is a little more expensive, but I can spawn a server for a few minutes, run a benchmark, and it will cost me less than a few pence/cents. I always know what I am getting.

You know what you are getting only at the moment of running benchmark. Running it 5-50-6984784 minutes later can end in totally different results because host put more people on your server, someone started mining crypto and it's using 24/7 CPU. Same thing with disk speeds etc. Shared is shared, there are no guarantees on anything.

• @JabJab said:
    You know what you are getting only at the moment of running benchmark. Running it 5-50-6984784 minutes later can end in totally different results because host put more people on your server, someone started mining crypto and it's using 24/7 CPU. Same thing with disk speeds etc. Shared is shared, there are no guarantees on anything.

When you pay by hour you can just make a snapshot and create a new instance with old data to move away from noisy neighbors. Though I've never had those types of issues on digital ocean or hetzner.