Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Turns out we are throttling servers? Speeds are sooo low [Provider Rants] - Page 2
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Turns out we are throttling servers? Speeds are sooo low [Provider Rants]

2»

Comments

• @PulsedMedia said: Oh, No little itty bitty weenie jokes at all? Just a lil' bit even? ;D

you takin a peek of some of the Daily Dick? Trust me, I dont slow down. Full pull every time.

• grr nice way to spend Christmas day

I don't expect companies to communicate on special holidays and if they do, they better wear their santa hat and give good vibes

His server costs under 20€ a month and comes with 1GigE Unmetered/Unlimited;

Tbh for that price i'd expect being able to burst full gigabit, at least. for seedbox providers my expectations are even a bit higher for some reason. for the shittier tier i'd expect them to be unreliable but if they work they be crazy fast. If I were to see 200mbit speeds on torrents on a daily basis, yes that'd a refund. It shouldn't fucking matter if its some holiday. If it's something tech related that unmetered gigabit can't be delivered for that price just be up front about it and limit it after X

• I wouldn't be surprised if the customer is transferring over SSH with strong cyphers. :D

• @mrl22 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the customer is transferring over SSH with strong cyphers. :D

lol its 2024, nobody bothers with that anymore

• @mrl22 said:
    I wouldn't be surprised if the customer is transferring over SSH with strong cyphers. :D

I use telnet because i got nothin to hide

• edited December 2023

@lowenduser1 said:

grr nice way to spend Christmas day

I don't expect companies to communicate on special holidays and if they do, they better wear their santa hat and give good vibes

Tbh for that price i'd expect being able to burst full gigabit, at least. for seedbox providers my expectations are even a bit higher for some reason. for the shittier tier i'd expect them to be unreliable but if they work they be crazy fast. If I were to see 200mbit speeds on torrents on a daily basis, yes that'd a refund. It shouldn't fucking matter if its some holiday. If it's something tech related that unmetered gigabit can't be delivered for that price just be up front about it and limit it after X

I'm not sure if we are talking about a dedi here. If it's a dedi @ 20€... i mean, common. Anything half decent at this price is really bottom of the barrel. If it's a VPS, yeah that's a bit of money. That's why i would have liked to see cachfly results. At least in Europe they have always been a rather reliable indicator of what should be possible (seems their CDN is really well connected) to archive to me and i trust them way more than some random speedtest.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@lowenduser1 said:

grr nice way to spend Christmas day

I'm not sure if we are talking about a dedi here. If it's a dedi @ 20€... i mean, common. Anything half decent at this price is really bottom of the barrel. If it's a VPS, yeah that's a bit of money. That's why i would have liked to see cachfly results. At least in Europe they have always been a rather reliable indicator of what should be possible (seems their CDN is really well connected) to archive to me and i trust them way more than some random speedtest.

Dedi, vps, vds. Whatever. It's advertised with Gigabit. Sold at a loss as or squeezed out it is what is delivered. The customer is right here to ask for a refund. Some providers properly categorize it with premium, guaranteed or whatever. Gigabit is for EU standards not so special, especially for seedboxes. Sure the speedtest has to be properly connected and tests can be flawed and it's probably not as bad as the customer said, but the general point still stands

• edited December 2023

@lowenduser1 said:
    Some providers properly categorize it with premium, guaranteed or whatever.

That's pretty much the point. As long as it's a shared Gbit connection, it might very well practically be just ~250Mbit most of the time. I wouldn't be overly happy either but it isn't a violation of the specs sold and given that having a dedicated Gbit connection without some pretty premium price tag is simply unrealistic i'd also say that assuming shared unless stated otherwise is a fair practice. It might not be stellar performance but if someone absolutely requires to be able use a full Gbit they'd probably need to go for an explicit dedicated offer.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@lowenduser1 said:

That's pretty much the point. As long as it's a shared Gbit connection, it might very well practically be just ~250Mbit most of the time. I wouldn't be overly happy either but it isn't a violation of the specs sold and given that having a dedicated Gbit connection without some pretty premium price tag is simply unrealistic i'd also say that assuming shared unless stated otherwise is a fair practice. It might not be stellar performance but if someone absolutely requires to be able use a full Gbit they'd probably need to go for an explicit dedicated offer.

At that point one might as well advertise it with '200Mbit/s' ¯_(ツ)_/¯. whatever is realistic is not up to the customer. you don't get whats advertised? well that's on them. anything non-binary gray area is for suckers

• edited December 2023

@lowenduser1 said:

@totally_not_banned said:

@lowenduser1 said:

At that point one might as well advertise it with '200Mbit/s' ¯_(ツ)_/¯. whatever is realistic is not up to the customer. you don't get whats advertised? well that's on them. anything non-binary gray area is for suckers

Well, if everyone else decides to idle you'd probably (rather have to - otherwise what's delivered is reall off-spec) get the full Gbit and how is the host supposed to tell if that happens? As for getting what's advertised, that all stands and falls with if the connection was labled as shared (meaning there is the theoretical possibility to get it but it depends on your neighbors) and if not if it's realistic to expect a dedicated connection unless explicitly stated.

I fully agree that some providers seem to manage to archive near dedicated performance (be it due to clever shuffling of VM's, 10Gbit uplinks, ...) but merely technically having X VM's on a 1Gbit uplink and calling it a shared resource is fine. Obviously a shared connection is really a meaningless metric but that's partly because the host itself can't fully predict what is going to be practically archived by single clients (even if you divide the full bandwidth by the number of VMs sharing it you can't be certain that it would be equally distributed if all of them tried to burst at the same time because of different network paths). Sure they can provide headroom but this has a cost, so if having that is a strict requirement one has to look for a host that manages/is willing to factor this into it's earnings.

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

hi it s possible to give you

4 dedicated vCPU Intel 80586
    160MB DDR2 RAM
    1.44 inch boot drive
    80GB storage drive
    IPv9 only
    infinite universe-wide network speed via magic transit
    unmetered traffic without fair use rules

69 🥭 / month
    order via telephone, see phone number on yoursunny summer host webpage

• My complaint to PulsedMedia still is that you cannot set rdns on their MD dedis. I wish I would have known that before ordering. According to support it will be implemented later (read: nobody knows when).

Thanked by 1PulsedMedia
  • PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider

In this case, it was dedi for ~20€/Month, Unmetered 1Gbit, Customer Got Full Fat 1Gbit.

This @lowenduser1 registered today and is probably the same MJJ who made those tickets and got the dedi; Their Own Testing showed full fat 1Gbps was being delivered. As shown on the thread start.
    This same dude has shown time and again to be an complete;

Yea, no one uses encrypted SSH connections anymore, for certain 🤡🤡🤡 It is 2024 afterall, who would have need for encrypted connections anymore. 🤡

@lowenduser1 said:

@mrl22 said:

lol its 2024, nobody bothers with that anymore

Unmetered doesn't say anywhere it's a dedicated or guaranteed 1Gbps. Guaranteed 1Gbps no one can provide, if they say so; They are lying. Dedicated, only to the point of their network edge at most, not any further than that.

Internet simply doesn't work like that.

The ranted user on OP; They got full 1Gbps, there was zero issues even based on their own very flawed testing. 900+Mbps abroad over the internet on a 1Gbps line is perfectly fine and acceptable rate for a 1Gbps link which has theoretical max of ~950Mbps in throughput with error correction, ethernet frames removed even less -- in essence ~100% of potential was delivered. You simply cannot ask for more, except ofc, some butt wipes.

Thanks @lowenduser1 you managed to devolve this thread to complete and utter BS. You are good at convoluting stuff, and baseless insinuations. You are stirring up nice popcorn worthy drama! ;) Keep up with it, give us some more publicity ;)

Oh well, i guess we'll update the product page to say something like 200Mbps, and then just cap the uplinks so no one can actually get 1Gbps to satisfy the trolls 🤷🤷🤷 >;)

• mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2023

@PulsedMedia Don't worry about it, and don't let yourself get worked up over it.

I am unsure why you have devoted so much time discussing this customer. They have cost you 20 euros, ten times over, in the time you have spent discussing them. The truth is that customers aren't always right, and should it lead to it; one negative review amongst a hundred good reviews only makes your reviews more believable.

PS, In 2013, I started a side hustle offering game server hosting. I'd have kids writing in all block capitals on support tickets 24/7 and on holidays. I sold the company after six months; couldn't cope with it :D

• @yoursunny said:

160MB DDR2 RAM
    1.44 inch boot drive
    80GB storage drive
    IPv9 only

69 🥭 / month

@Calin (you asked to be tagged on every joke since you’re lonley)

Thanked by 1Calin
  • lol @PulsedMedia i'm not that customer :# - never tried you and I believe you can deliver true speeds, looking at the IX ports and all. send me a coupon in exchange for the popcorn and i'll give it a shot

• jingfanqinjingfanqin Member
    edited December 2023

@HostEONS said:
    this is a common problem with Low End Customers

Just a couple of days ago a LET user, and not a new user, and he is from EU

The user ordered Ryzen based VPS, but with just 1 G Memory I think at a very discounted price, but then later he realised that 1G is no enough for his MariaDB or some DB, so he sent me and email that it's his fault that he did not chose the right specs etc... and all the crap, and clearly said there is no problem with the performance of the VPS but he did not choose the right specs

But later it was all settled for a month

Then after a month or two he woke up again and started ranting in one of my sales thread that the performance is not good enough compared to his other VPS provider, so I just made sure the node was not overloaded etc....

I responded him on LET, then he wanted an upgrade, so I told him he needed to submit a support ticket to get the upgrade as it is required for purpose of records, I just cannot create a invoice in a user account on the basis of a comment in forum

Then he updated that same ticket and first thing he said was "this is the reason I don't like to deal with Indians" and all other crap, though he himself is of Indian origin but living in EU

I ignored it and still replied

Then he started saying that I should just whois his domain (the domain used in his email) it's like 20+ years old, so he is not a newbie and tried to bully, but still I ignored and let it go

Then he replied again in forum, so even I replied and did clarified that you have a VPS with lower specs or something similar (sorry my memory is foggy, to give exact details) but it was something that was clarify that it's not a fault at hosteons, it was client's fault or client needs more resources for his applications.

then he starts bullying, "my young friend, you need to learn how to run a hosting business" he would refer to Dustinc and Crunchbits in ticket, and say see how they sell 1,40,000 VPS in a single post, and yeah he wanted me to give him a FREE UPGRADE, I clearly denied, atleast I would never entertain a BULLY ....

Though that moron does not know that he is not dealing with some young kid here, I'm into hosting business since 2003 and into IT industry probably since 1995 or so

But all I finally did was just said, backup your data and I'll refund you, I just refunded and GOT rid of him.

It's best to refund and get RID of such morons, as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you and ultimately we providers who are genuinely trying to give quality service and make a living suffer and feel toxic, some of these morons think just by paying a couple of $$ they own us, we just need to understand it's not worth the hastle to deal with them, it's best to REFUND and get rid of them .

Hahaha, my first vps in life was to buy your product. It felt pretty good.

Thanked by 1HostEONS
  • HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@jingfanqin said:

@HostEONS said:
    this is a common problem with Low End Customers

Just a couple of days ago a LET user, and not a new user, and he is from EU

The user ordered Ryzen based VPS, but with just 1 G Memory I think at a very discounted price, but then later he realised that 1G is no enough for his MariaDB or some DB, so he sent me and email that it's his fault that he did not chose the right specs etc... and all the crap, and clearly said there is no problem with the performance of the VPS but he did not choose the right specs

But later it was all settled for a month

Then after a month or two he woke up again and started ranting in one of my sales thread that the performance is not good enough compared to his other VPS provider, so I just made sure the node was not overloaded etc....

I responded him on LET, then he wanted an upgrade, so I told him he needed to submit a support ticket to get the upgrade as it is required for purpose of records, I just cannot create a invoice in a user account on the basis of a comment in forum

Then he updated that same ticket and first thing he said was "this is the reason I don't like to deal with Indians" and all other crap, though he himself is of Indian origin but living in EU

I ignored it and still replied

Then he started saying that I should just whois his domain (the domain used in his email) it's like 20+ years old, so he is not a newbie and tried to bully, but still I ignored and let it go

Then he replied again in forum, so even I replied and did clarified that you have a VPS with lower specs or something similar (sorry my memory is foggy, to give exact details) but it was something that was clarify that it's not a fault at hosteons, it was client's fault or client needs more resources for his applications.

then he starts bullying, "my young friend, you need to learn how to run a hosting business" he would refer to Dustinc and Crunchbits in ticket, and say see how they sell 1,40,000 VPS in a single post, and yeah he wanted me to give him a FREE UPGRADE, I clearly denied, atleast I would never entertain a BULLY ....

Though that moron does not know that he is not dealing with some young kid here, I'm into hosting business since 2003 and into IT industry probably since 1995 or so

But all I finally did was just said, backup your data and I'll refund you, I just refunded and GOT rid of him.

It's best to refund and get RID of such morons, as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you and ultimately we providers who are genuinely trying to give quality service and make a living suffer and feel toxic, some of these morons think just by paying a couple of $$ they own us, we just need to understand it's not worth the hastle to deal with them, it's best to REFUND and get rid of them .

Hahaha, my first vps in life was to buy your product. It felt pretty good.

Cool .. good to have client like you ...

Cheers

• @yoursunny said:

160MB DDR2 RAM
    1.44 inch boot drive
    80GB storage drive
    IPv9 only

69 🥭 / month

dcma ignor??!

Thanked by 1Calin
  • @0xOkami said:

@yoursunny said:

160MB DDR2 RAM
    1.44 inch boot drive
    80GB storage drive
    IPv9 only

69 🥭 / month

dcma ignor??!

China route? Bypass GFW???

Thanked by 1Calin
  • @HostEONS said: as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you

All hail MJJs

• HostEONSHostEONS Member, Patron Provider

@Patriarch said:

@HostEONS said: as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you

All hail MJJs

The one I am referring is from EU

• @HostEONS said:

@Patriarch said:

@HostEONS said: as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you

All hail MJJs

The one I am referring is from EU

MJJ from EU :D

• PulsedMediaPulsedMedia Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@mrl22 said:
    @PulsedMedia Don't worry about it, and don't let yourself get worked up over it.

I am unsure why you have devoted so much time discussing this customer. They have cost you 20 euros, ten times over, in the time you have spent discussing them. The truth is that customers aren't always right, and should it lead to it; one negative review amongst a hundred good reviews only makes your reviews more believable.

PS, In 2013, I started a side hustle offering game server hosting. I'd have kids writing in all block capitals on support tickets 24/7 and on holidays. I sold the company after six months; couldn't cope with it :D

Yea, it's called a Helldesk for a reason ;)

It's also a common issue across support; People burn out. Some have to go to therapy for PTSD for rest of their lives at worst.

At a telco/ISP got some woke madness, some social justice warrior was hired; After that privately with the sales & support team cursing the customers was banned, you'd get a written complaint if you said anything negative about any customer even privately just to vent within the team. It was the team's way to vent and calm down after bad cases, and being Telco+ISP, they saw it all. Some immediately left their notice and quit after that, or applied for transfers.
    People started to avoid that social justice warrior who had just been hired, and that person was apparently quite abysmally bad at the job too.
    Funny thing is, that even the team's immediate boss/manager said this was BS, but HR being HR ...

Imagine having to work all day, every day at Helldesk, and not being even able to vent and shoot shit with your co-workers to vent and calm ... I can see how that will lead to some ... less than stellar customer care in future.

Just imagine being this guy, a hell on earth;

The largest tech companies don't offer any support for this reason i think, just try to reach out to someone at Google or Paypal for example. You typically can't. That's how Kimsufi got started, i believe OVH's idea was having zero customer support what-so-ever, it was a public forum at first, you may or may not get response. If your unit failed (ie. HDD failed), the easiest thing was just to cancel + buy new one.
    It took something like 10 months to get VAT ID checked back then. At that point, we had moved on and decided we were not going to resell KS anymore.
    Before KS was just a lineup in OVH dedis, we had resold hundreds of those.

I think KS now has some level of customer care? Or do they finally?

@yoursunny said:

160MB DDR2 RAM
    1.44 inch boot drive
    80GB storage drive
    IPv9 only

69 🥭 / month

Sounds like wicked deal! Does it come with nanosecond response time support too? ;D

@HostEONS said: It's best to refund and get RID of such morons, as they are like energy VAMPIRES, they suck out all the positivity in you and ultimately we providers who are genuinely trying to give quality service and make a living suffer and feel toxic, some of these morons think just by paying a couple of $$ they own us, we just need to understand it's not worth the hastle to deal with them, it's best to REFUND and get rid of them .

Completely agree. 1 bad apple in the mix makes customer care a hellish job for the whole week.

Have you had those who make even refunding them a royal PITA? Those are so fun.
    Extra fun when they demand you commit tax fraud // money laundering or otherwise try to scam you out of extra :D

Chargebacks so fun, paypal i think charges 14€ just when one is opened now.
    Now even PP Disputes can be for more money than the transaction was, just had to handle couple days back one such case, the "customer" got bigger refund than their original transaction was. Of course, you never get transaction fees back neither.

Chargeback/Dispute/Refund scammers are getting very prevalent too.

Yes, i am milking MJ6 for all it's worth! ;)

@Patriarch said:

All hail MJJs

The Salt of this business, Salt in Your Open Wounds and Knife being twisted in your back that is. XD

Thanked by 2HostEONS sillycat