Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RU domain will work on US vps?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RU domain will work on US vps?

Hi, just want to know. I have vps in US location and if I buy RU domain will it work? If it works please suggest providers that accepting crypto

Comments

• What about an SU domain?

All TLDs are technically the same.

• this is quite interesting. Are you concerned about sanctions?

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • WebProjectWebProject Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

Any domains using DNS so no geo or political restrictions, sanctions or any kind of stupidity! The same as Ukraine domains works perfectly on Russian servers 😂🤔

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@WebProject said: The same as Ukraine domains works perfectly on Russian servers 😂🤔

I am not quite sure about that, Russia is actively implementing DPI and it is already capable of TLS SNI filtering.

• @praburam said: I have vps in US location and if I buy RU domain will it work?

KGB will handle you very quick and send to the front line :smiley:

Thanked by 1boot
  • rustelekomrustelekom Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Sure, they will work. Any domain zone can work anywhere except .by and .kz (they are restricted to be host in Belarus and Kazakhstan only) as far as i know.
    .ru, .su, .рф domains do not have such restriction.

@tentor said:

@WebProject said: The same as Ukraine domains works perfectly on Russian servers 😂🤔

I am not quite sure about that, Russia is actively implementing DPI and it is already capable of TLS SNI filtering.

As well as any other country. I guess they order some american equipment to realize this (may be Sandvine or Cisco) or chinese (from Huawei).

I guess leader of using DPI was USA just because they was first in target advertising as well as in DPI to realize it. Especially after 2001 when Patriotic Act was issued.

• Its really doesn't matter which type of domain you will be use on server , if you going to use as vpn server they will take it down

• @dav848 said: if you going to use as vpn server they will take it down

Can you explain what you mean?

• @Page said:
    this is quite interesting. Are you concerned about sanctions?

yup

@dav848 said:
    Its really doesn't matter which type of domain you will be use on server , if you going to use as vpn server they will take it down

Russian law requires VPN services not to advertise them as tools to circumvent restrictions and connect to resources blocked in Russia. If the owner of the site/services violates these terms, his site/services will be pessimized in search engines within Russia, and access to such a site may be restricted for users from Russia. A number of sites/services have already been blocked for users in Russia.

• Mmmm for RU domain registration passport data required

• Why would you want to get a .ru anyways? Are you Russian? Well, OK, i think i can guess why you want it but then why aren't you going for a domain with style and straight up get .su? By the way, i think the extension you really want is .to ;)

• rm_rm_ IPv6 Advocate, Veteran
    edited December 2023

You cannot renew a .ru/.su/.рф for more than 1 year in advance. I'd say for that reason alone they are a huge hassle and get something else instead. With 1 year renewals you have to always remember to do that, and also the registrar is free to do price hikes on you each time.

• @totally_not_banned said:
    Why would you want to get a .ru anyways? Are you Russian? Well, OK, i think i can guess why you want it but then why aren't you going for a domain with style and straight up get .su? By the way, i think the extension you really want is .to ;)

Yandex prefer ru domain for search results preference at first place

@praburam said:

@totally_not_banned said:
    Why would you want to get a .ru anyways? Are you Russian? Well, OK, i think i can guess why you want it but then why aren't you going for a domain with style and straight up get .su? By the way, i think the extension you really want is .to ;)

Yandex prefer ru domain for search results preference at first place

I think it's a myth. Many domains registered by Russians and for Russia work in .com, .net and other domains that do not relate to a specific country. Also, search engines are now trying to avoid formal "regional" settings and mainly use other indicators to use in their ranking algorithm.