Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Greencloudvps EPYCROMEJP1 hard drive issue rewind
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Greencloudvps EPYCROMEJP1 hard drive issue rewind

seokyseoky Member
edited December 2023 in Outages

In 23 Dec around 4AM UTC+9, my personal blog show a 504 error, and while I trying to figure out what just happened by login the control panel, my control panel also get a 500 error.
At this period, I thought it was my VPS had some problem, so I decide do a restart, but it failed, SSH and the panel in Greencloud both didn't work for "reboot" command, and I can't do anything in my VM, after a few moment, I decide to rebuild the VPS.
But the strange things happened, it failed to boot, and show an error: failure reading sector xxx from 'hd0'
After ticket in, they responded pretty fast, and made a public announcement to those affected customer arount 11AM UTC+9, a raid failure caused the hard drive failure...
What I learn from the inchident is always have a backup and thankfully I have it... Never expecting a hard drive failure before, hopefully we can got those data afterwards...

Dear valued customers,
We regret to inform you about an unforeseen situation on the EPYCROMEJP1 node that happened today (December 23rd, 2023 - GMT+9) leading to unavailability of your services. There was a RAID issue on the node, which is an extremely rare event. We're working hard with the datacenter to solve it, which will take a few hours or longer to finish.
We will send you an email again once the issue is fixed.

We sincerely apologize for any disruption, and we highly appreciate your understanding and patience during this time.
If you have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact our support team.

With best regards,
Your GreenCloud Team.

Comments

• MoopahMoopah Member
    edited December 2023

@seoky said:
    Never expecting a hard drive failure before, hopefully we can got those data

Always expect a possible failure and make backups
    unless you're idling like me

Thanked by 1SwordfishBE
  • @Moopah said:

@seoky said:
    Never expecting a hard drive failure before, hopefully we can got those data

Always expect a possible failure and make backups
    unless you're idling like me

Thankfully I have a daily backup and didn't do anything on my blog on that day :s

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

You just remembered me that I gotta take my yearly backup of this laptop. I use a 16GB sd card for my backups, am I doing it right?

BTW 1: I'm also a veteran multiple-disk-failure survivor. Always take your backups.

BTW 2: is there any redundancy on the sd card in case of bit flip? Maybe I should use a better filesystem if the sd card doesn't have redundancy.