Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Remote Desktop using Cloudflare
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Remote Desktop using Cloudflare

Can someone please guide me on using Remote Desktop to connect to my Windows machine through Cloudflare? I don't have a static IP at home

Comments

• is this even possible? you don't need static IP address. What you need is IP address that accessible from outside and dynamic DNS

• ailiceailice Member
    edited December 2023

You can using Cloudflare Zero it works on my VNC Remote Desktop
    https://developers.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-one/connections/connect-networks/use-cases/rdp/

Thanked by 1BetaRacks
  • I appreciate your prompt response; that's what I love about this community!

• Or, try any mesh networking service like tailscale.

• Try chrome remote desktop

• Cloudflare tunnels

• Zerotier works good too

• alt_alt_ Member
    edited December 2023

Cloudflare has a reverse proxy service, Spectrum, made specifically for ssh/rdp forwarding and protection, but the rdp forwarding is only available for business plan users.

• WhiteRoseGWhiteRoseG Member
    edited December 2023

You can use zero trust tunneling, but I advice you to just setup your RDP to connect from one specific IP you own. You can then point a a record to the IP adres of the server without proxying

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

I did similar thing with Team Viewer just today.
    Authentication is email based, no need a static IP address.
    Just setup your home PC as a remote src and tw will start even if your user isn't authenticated yet, similar with RDP.
    My goal is to be able to connect remotely via Console Port of the switch, using a hardware cable between an old laptop and the switch, connected to internet via home based WiFi and it works perfecly for this goal.

• Use tailscale. It's easier to setup and use.

• @nithi2023 said:
    Use tailscale. It's easier to setup and use.

It's limited to 3 users.

• jbilohjbiloh Administrator, Veteran

@Iamtechguru said:
    Can someone please guide me on using Remote Desktop to connect to my Windows machine through Cloudflare? I don't have a static IP at home

Also can consider Any Desk, better than TeamViewer in my opinion.

• I wanted to use cloudflare tunnel but provided documentation is not working for me or I am not able to understand it. Is there any other documentation available for step by step guide to setup remote desktop using cloudflare tunnel. Thanks in advance

• @jbiloh said:

@Iamtechguru said:

Also can consider Any Desk, better than TeamViewer in my opinion.

How do they compare to LogMeIn?

• rafaelscsrafaelscs Member
    edited December 2023

netbird.io (free 100 machines) and ultravnc (or rdp)
    https://netbird.io/use-cases/remote-access

i used ultraviewer and works fine too

• @Iamtechguru said:

Install NoMachine software and you can access without bothering about ip address

• I use RealVNC and works great and free for I think 5 devices or something. But if you want to use regular RDP with Windows using Cloudflare, just create a tunnel with Cloudflare Zero Trust which you can access to from the main dashboard of your account. Once you create the tunnel - which requires installing a software on your computer, you will need to add a "public hostname" pointing to whatever is the RDP port on localhost (3389? I don't use Windows). That's it. Then you connect to the computer using that hostname with your RDP client. It's super easy.

Thanked by 1meditatingsurgeon
  • I am getting following error

2023-12-28T10:40:06Z INF Start Websocket listener host=localhost:3389
    2023-12-28T10:40:06Z ERR Error on Websocket listener error="failed to start forwarding server: listen tcp 127.0.0.1:3389: bind: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions."
    failed to start forwarding server: listen tcp 127.0.0.1:3389: bind: An attempt was made to access a socket in a way forbidden by its access permissions.

• cloudflare zerotunnel, you can set a private network. or else tailscale

• @Iamtechguru said:
    I wanted to use cloudflare tunnel but provided documentation is not working for me or I am not able to understand it. Is there any other documentation available for step by step guide to setup remote desktop using cloudflare tunnel. Thanks in advance

You also need to install cloudflared on the client machine with zero trust not only the server so install on both

• why not use rustdesk?You can use docker to build the private id server.

• Try tailscale. In most cases it will get you a direct tunnel with minimum latency. Then use RustDesk or VNC or RDP to gain remote desktop. Performance of this setup is amazing.

Thanked by 2Erisa NewToTheGame
  • I really appreciate the fantastic support from everyone.

• Tailscale all the way!

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @WhiteRoseG said:
    It's limited to 3 users.

So what? One user is enough for the situation he described. Especially since you can add up to 100 nodes

• How do you block all public traffic and only use Tailscale to route the traffic

• @wii747 said:
    How do you block all public traffic and only use Tailscale to route the traffic

easiest way would be just to bind thing you want to route over to tailscale IP 100.x.y.z rather than 0.0.0.0/everything/public IP.

But this question is so vague that there is 818571875 solutions and 817578178587 problems.

• You can also self-host your own tailscale controller with headscale and have as many users as you like. It is compatible with all of the tailscale clients.

• @wii747 said:
    How do you block all public traffic and only use Tailscale to route the traffic

https://tailscale.com/kb/1095/secure-rdp-windows?q=remo