Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AWS/ARIN IPv4 request denied because "AWS is not our ISP" (???)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AWS/ARIN IPv4 request denied because "AWS is not our ISP" (???)

I applied for a subnet from ARIN and we went to AWS, our provider, and asked them to provide a connectivity agreement. This was their (business support plan) response:

"Please note that AWS is not an Internet Service Provider. The ISP being referred to by ARIN is your local ISP, and you would need to contact them for further assistance of getting an IP range assigned to you."

This isn't the first time I've applied for ARIN IP space (but first time with AWS), so I told him that he was wrong. I've always gone through our data center/network provider, so I have no idea why this would be different.

"You are right in the fact that AWS provides internet connectivity to the resources on your account. However, AWS is not an ISP in the traditional sense, and not in this case."

They are doubling down! I want to ask him which ISP do I use to connect to the internet from AWS! Does anyone have experience with AWS and IPv4 requests from ARIN? I'd love some advice or guidance. I saw ARIN said we could provide our bill, I am waiting on them to clarify but I thought maybe someone here would know better. Thank you so much!

Comments

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Unless you’re a rank somebody, and I mean the red carpet rolls out wherever you go, I would have zero expectation of Amazon helping with this.

• Does ARIN even hand out IPv4 like that? You can be accepted for the Waiting List (max /22 IPv4) and the current waiting times are around 3-4+ years if you would join now.

On what ARIN Policy are you applying?

• yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@MattBGP said:
    Does ARIN even hand out IPv4 like that? You can be accepted for the Waiting List (max /22 IPv4) and the current waiting times are around 3-4+ years if you would join now.

I want 4.10 LLC is a good company name.

Thanked by 1RIYAD
  • edited December 2023

@MattBGP said:
    Does ARIN even hand out IPv4 like that? You can be accepted for the Waiting List (max /22 IPv4) and the current waiting times are around 3-4+ years if you would join now.

I thought it was like 6 - 12 months for a /22? Even if it is very long, it doesn't hurt to get on the list. I'd rather not resort to buying, it's a little cost prohibitive right now.

@jar said:
    Unless you’re a rank somebody, and I mean the red carpet rolls out wherever you go, I would have zero expectation of Amazon helping with this.

Ah, okay. Is this not something they should be helping with though?

• edited December 2023

In-case anyone ever looks at this with the same issue: I submitted our invoices instead (which they said you can do) and was approved for the IP space we need and are now on the waitlist. :smile: Hoping it's less than 3 - 4 years!

Edit: It looks like the wait list could be 3 - 5 years quite easily...