Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

RackNerd custom ISO mounting issues?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

RackNerd custom ISO mounting issues?

First and foremost I would like to state that I have primarily had a great experience with RackNerd. They have always responded to my tickets in a timely manner and until recently have always been able to resolve the problem. I don't want this to be a negative thread but I'm hoping to find out if there are others out there that have had similiar issues or maybe know of a way to resolve them.

Over the last 18 months or so I've owned three different RackNerd VPS instances that I submitted a ticket to mount a custom ISO. All three of those times I was able to install my custom OS (in my case OpenBSD) without a single hitch. Recently with the Black Friday promotions I decided to get one more VPS (because I only had a single instance remaining). The order went smoothly as usual and I submitted my ticket to mount the custom ISO as I always did. They processed it quickly but this time while the mounted ISO did come up I kept getting errors on install. I asked them to maybe switch machines (thinking it was an isolated problem) which to their credit they did do for me. Same problem. Again, I've never had any issues so I assumed it was something on their end (KVM settings that they changed or something like that). They assured me everything was the same as it always was so I asked them to put my new instance on the exact same host that I still have running this custom ISO. Again, to their credit they did this for me but it still didn't fix the problem.

So I have an existing host running this custom ISO working perfectly fine but no new instances they spin up for me work at all. I always spoke to a friend that has had multiple instances on RackNerd and OpenBSD always worked for them too (sanity check). In fact, any service provider that allows custom mounting for their VPS instances I've never had a problem installing OpenBSD, it always just works. Because they couldn't get it working they provided me a full refund for my latest order (again to their credit). From searching around and having run Proxmox, KVM, VirtualBox, etc it sure seems like a IDE/SATA controller setting to me but not having access to their procedures I can only guess.

Has anyone else had problems getting certain ISO images mounted or having them not work as you expected them to after they were mounted? Any stories, recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!