Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Debian VPS users, anyone running Podman 4.4+?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Debian VPS users, anyone running Podman 4.4+?

Not sure if this belongs in General or here so I'm going to start here and see if anyone else can offer advice.

I'm by no means a professional in the IT and Sysadmin industry, all my VPS knowledge comes from being a hobbyist. So far, I've really enjoyed using Debian as my distro because of all of the reasons to go with it. It's lightweight, bare-bones, boots quick, and a great foundation to install whatever you want on it. I honestly didn't think that the problem of "latest software that doesn't come with your distro" would hit me.

However, (sigh) I've hit that point of needing something I can't get on Debian Stable, and that something is an up-to-date version of Podman, specifically something higher than v4.4 which has "Quadlet" built-in. I've played around with how Quadlet integrates with systemd and was convinced enough to want to get it on my servers.

Hoping to gather some discussion on what to do next. Has anyone on Debian tried to install a more recent version themselves, and if so, how'd that go? Is it worth trying out another distro like Rocky/Alma/RH-derivative that has more recent versions of Podman with Quadlet?