Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Server selection, location and specs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Server selection, location and specs

Hi All,

I am looking to select a server for our site. Currently we are building a portal site that would host event tickets, movies tickets, gallary, classifieds, news and other stuff.

My target audience is all around the USA, I am leaning on Racknerd and wanted to know does server location play a role for this type of site. I was thinking of Chicago servers since it middle of the USA and easier both sides.

Generally for this type of server, since it the beginning stages, would the following package be to much. I was thinking from a long term prospective, since the blackfriday deal is running.

4 vCPU Cores
115 GB PURE SSD RAID-10 Storage
4.5 GB RAM
10,000GB Monthly Premium Bandwidth
1Gbps Public Network Port
Full Root Admin Access
1 Dedicated IPv4 Address
KVM / SolusVM Control Panel - Reboot, Reinstall, Manage rDNS, and much more

Also anyone has experience with Racknerd Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta or NY and NJ servers

Thanks for your help

Comments

• Question is it a php powered website? also do you specifically need vps for a single site?

Thanked by 1Speedycat1
  • The site is built on laravel and using database and cron jobs.

I plan to later on add a additional domains to be hosted.

@TrK said:
    Question is it a php powered website? also do you specifically need vps for a single site?

• do you have any approximate for daily visitor? if you have any data on how much concurrent user at peak hour you can also estimate it better (knowing you also offer tickets, this is usually what causes sharp traffic increase--in case of you're selling tickets for certain events)

as for your posted spec, imo it should be fine as long as there are no weird slow IOwait issues

Thanked by 1Speedycat1
  • What is your budget?

Thanked by 1Speedycat1
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@Speedycat1 said:
    Hi All,

I am looking to select a server for our site. Currently we are building a portal site that would host event tickets, movies tickets, gallary, classifieds, news and other stuff.

My target audience is all around the USA, I am leaning on Racknerd and wanted to know does server location play a role for this type of site. I was thinking of Chicago servers since it middle of the USA and easier both sides.

Generally for this type of server, since it the beginning stages, would the following package be to much. I was thinking from a long term prospective, since the blackfriday deal is running.

4 vCPU Cores
    4.5 GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Also anyone has experience with Racknerd Chicago, Dallas, Atlanta or NY and NJ servers

Thanks for your help

You may want to use a CDN anyways (depending on type of site/content), but for the most part almost any major metro will be ~60-70ms to each other in the US at the upper end.

Besides, it's LET and I'd be happy to beat that deal in price and/or specs if we can find something that is a better fit :)

Thanked by 1Speedycat1
  • @crunchbits said:

@Speedycat1 said:
    Hi All,

4 vCPU Cores
    4.5 GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Thanks for your help

You may want to use a CDN anyways (depending on type of site/content), but for the most part almost any major metro will be ~60-70ms to each other in the US at the upper end.

Besides, it's LET and I'd be happy to beat that deal in price and/or specs if we can find something that is a better fit :)

You sir, are strangely awesome, you know what, here's a heart ❤️ for you.

Thanked by 1crunchbits
  • @ScreenReader said:
    do you have any approximate for daily visitor? if you have any data on how much concurrent user at peak hour you can also estimate it better (knowing you also offer tickets, this is usually what causes sharp traffic increase--in case of you're selling tickets for certain events)

as for your posted spec, imo it should be fine as long as there are no weird slow IOwait issues

Thank you ScreenReader, at this time I do not have a visitor estimate as I am launching the site and do not have back data. I would expect traffic to built over the next 2 years, as well I am looking to add additional domains.

Does anyone have experience if the site I am looking to setup would need a server in the middle of the USA to serve both coast or would these server locations be important for video sites or gaming sites. I was looking at the Chicago, dallas or NY Racknerd servers.

Thanks for all your help as I have limited experience and really appreciate the guidance.

• Thanks @crunchbits

The price I saw for these specs were the blackfriday deal $52/year by racknerd. Is their a better deal available?

@crunchbits said:

@Speedycat1 said:
    Hi All,

4 vCPU Cores
    4.5 GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Thanks for your help

• @Speedycat1 said:
    Thanks @crunchbits

The price I saw for these specs were the blackfriday deal $52/year by racknerd. Is their a better deal available?

@crunchbits said:

@Speedycat1 said:
    Hi All,

4 vCPU Cores
    4.5 GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Thanks for your help

You can surely go with crunchyboy or nerds it's fine either way, but here are two cents, If you don't know your how-to in VPS then it would be a disastrous move and i think for starters like building up the website and serving just a small number of people than get a shared hosting and scale if needed. You are more than welcome to ignore the last part.

Thanked by 1Speedycat1
  • Currently my developer is building the site for me and suggested a dedicated server for speed and performance. however he said a VPS would be a cheaper alternative. He suggested a lower spec and said later can upgrade, since the deal was good I was looking at the above specs for future prospect expansion. I guess the server location wont make to much difference, from a general prospective any advantage of certain areas server. Example I saw the dallas server had priority power grid, with true 2N redundancy which seem interesting that it has a power fail switch over.

@TrK said:

@Speedycat1 said:
    Thanks @crunchbits

@crunchbits said:

@Speedycat1 said:
    Hi All,

4 vCPU Cores
    4.5 GB RAM
    Full Root Admin Access
    1 Dedicated IPv4 Address

Thanks for your help

You can surely go with crunchyboy or nerds it's fine either way, but here are two cents, If you don't know your how-to in VPS then it would be a disastrous move and i think for starters like building up the website and serving just a small number of people than get a shared hosting and scale if needed. You are more than welcome to ignore the last part.

• @Speedycat1 said:

@ScreenReader said:
    do you have any approximate for daily visitor? if you have any data on how much concurrent user at peak hour you can also estimate it better (knowing you also offer tickets, this is usually what causes sharp traffic increase--in case of you're selling tickets for certain events)

Thank you ScreenReader, at this time I do not have a visitor estimate as I am launching the site and do not have back data. I would expect traffic to built over the next 2 years, as well I am looking to add additional domains.

well that's fine, make sure to have some sort of monitoring system, hetrixtools probably the easiest and you can learn to associate between concurrent visitor (iirc google analytics and its alternative has this) vs resource used. you can draw conclusion based on that data, whether it's still enough or not for your website to be hosted in that vps, or when it's about time to upgrade

Does anyone have experience if the site I am looking to setup would need a server in the middle of the USA to serve both coast or would these server locations be important for video sites or gaming sites. I was looking at the Chicago, dallas or NY Racknerd servers.

Thanks for all your help as I have limited experience and really appreciate the guidance.

if i were you I'd focus on one location first, and then make sure to use CDN to distribute your load evenly, let the CDN provider handle the most efficient content delivery routes.

having extra location is always good though, at very least for a failover, having these kind of setup isn't typically used by LE provider but it's a good direction if you're planning ahead to grow big.

Thanked by 1Speedycat1