Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WHMCSServices (WHMCS Module Provider) Hacked
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

WHMCSServices (WHMCS Module Provider) Hacked

AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

A popular WHMCS module provider, WHMCSServices, was recently hacked and modules were uploaded that contained malicious code. I thought of making this thread in private, but I think more people should be aware of this because some people were not sent emails about this (along with the fact that they may have not been fully transparent or descriptive about this) and there are a lot of hosting providers that probably use third-party WHMCS modules.

Thanked by 1thane

Comments

• I received something similar from cloudie as well, looks like they got compromised as well.

• Received one from Mongodb as well, looks like there are more to come!

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@TrK said:
    Received one from Mongodb as well, looks like there are more to come!

It is really odd that they were on the same date, but I don’t think they (MongoDB) use WHMCS so it might have just been a big coincidence.

Thanked by 1TrK
  • @Advin said:

@TrK said:

It is really odd that they were on the same date, but I don’t think they (MongoDB) use WHMCS so it might have just been a big coincidence.

I agree with that note, well what about Cloudie? :D

• FatGrizzlyFatGrizzly Member, Host Rep

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

@TrK said:

Yeah, looks like he was compromised too

• @FatGrizzly said:

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

@TrK said:

Time for cloudie.rip? :D

edited December 2023

Another host was impacted by this: https://status.quickhost.uk/incident/411384

I think this is especially interesting because it raises some concerns about using encoded WHMCS modules

Thanked by 1adly
  • @Advin said:
    QuickHostUK got hacked by this: https://status.quickhost.uk/incident/411384

Told you more to come, it's a kinda of trend to be followed up, when are you going to send these emails as well?

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

Told you more to come, it's a kinda of trend to be followed up, when are you going to send these emails as well?

Who, us?

• @Advin said:

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

Who, us?

yeah aren't you using WHMCSservices as well?

• Just so you are aware as no one has said so, Cloudie as already addressed this issue and has sorted it and is back online.

For clarification, here is the notification from Cloudie https://my.cloudie.sh/index.php?rp=/announcements/4/URGENT-SecurityorPayment-Invalidation-Notice-Action-Required.html

Thanked by 1FatGrizzly
    edited December 2023

@TrK said:

We removed their code a long time ago, before this hack took place. Even then, we’ve already audited their code and couldn’t find any backdoor or malicious files, and recently did another audit after the hack was announced. We’re still monitoring the situation, but given that the last time we had updated their module was >2 years ago, the fact that it was disabled/removed, and that we had audited the code multiple times, we are in the clear.

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2023

I am getting confused how the fuck from 'update to plugin' you are able to hijack communication between QuickHost and WHMCSServices resulting in FTP user, but I guess WHMCSServices is vague for a reason.

However I would just like to emphasize

It was also this same user that used the plugin files to run the TerminateAccount command against the hosting accounts to delete them.

Snapshot/backup using the same provider, even in different locations is NOT A BACKUP. Period.

Thanked by 1tentor
  • @Advin said:

@TrK said:

We removed their code a long time ago, before this hack took place. Even then, we’ve already audited their code and couldn’t find any backdoor or malicious files, and recently did another audit after the hack was announced. We’re still monitoring the situation, but given that the last time we had updated their module was >1 year ago, the fact that it was removed, and that we had audited the code multiple times, we are in the clear.

Sounds convincing so far, now any NY deals upcoming?

@TrK said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

@TrK said:

More like time for whmcs.rip honestly

Thanked by 2yoursunny thane

@Bopie said:
    Just so you are aware as no one has said so, Cloudie as already addressed this issue and has sorted it and is back online.

For clarification, here is the notification from Cloudie https://my.cloudie.sh/index.php?rp=/announcements/4/URGENT-SecurityorPayment-Invalidation-Notice-Action-Required.html

I wonder how many instances of WHMCS is affected right now, and what WHMCSSERVICES has to say bout this

• MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran
    edited December 2023

@FatGrizzly said:

@Bopie said:
    Just so you are aware as no one has said so, Cloudie as already addressed this issue and has sorted it and is back online.

I wonder how many instances of WHMCS is affected right now, and what WHMCSSERVICES has to say bout this

Sounds like only those who upgraded their module from the fake source? Sounds like an email went out with an "update now" link and using that update is what allowed this?

• @FatGrizzly said:

@TrK said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@TrK said:

@Advin said:

@TrK said:

More like time for whmcs.rip honestly

Isn't it already dead right after it was bought by cPanel, Inc?

Thanked by 1thane
  • @MannDude said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@Bopie said:

Sounds like only those who upgraded their module from the fake source? Sounds like an email went out with an "update now" link and using that update is what allowed this?

So far you hit the bullseye, it's the only reason viable right now.

edited December 2023

@MannDude said:

@FatGrizzly said:

@Bopie said:

On the QuickHostUK status page, it looks like QuickHostUK provided FTP credentials to WHMCSServices to debug problems with their software, but instead a hacker accessed their systems with those FTP credentials to upload a malicious file. It looks to be more than just a phishing email like what happened with Swiftmodders. If there was a phishing email that got sent out, I didn’t get it.

I’m thinking that WHMCSServices may have gotten their email hacked, or even their full WHMCS instance, and maybe some compromised modules got sent to some hosting providers as an update. It’s unclear at the moment.

• @hostingbilling said:
    The complete data of cloudie.sh has been packaged and leaked by hackers

Stay away from them!

I don't believe you, share a link to the data.

• CalinCalin Member, Patron Provider

That it's cause why we don't usage any module on our WHMCS platform , and we preferred to make manual things , VPS delivery or other similar things...

Regards

Thanked by 3Mustafa host_c op23
  • agentmishraagentmishra Member, Host Rep

this reminds me of a thread at LET something like "whats in WHCMS which blesta/hostbill lacks"

i guess its answer could well be found in this thread

Thanked by 2host_c raindog308
  • host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

@Calin said: That it's cause why we don't usage any module on our WHMCS platform , and we preferred to make manual things , VPS delivery or other similar things...

And that is why you are up 18h of 24. or are you just feeding the bats in the cave all day?

Remember me writing WTF man, you have public IP on the nodes ? Wait for a proxmox exploit, that will be fun fun fun.

these things happen, so just sit tight.

• @host_c said:

@Calin said: That it's cause why we don't usage any module on our WHMCS platform , and we preferred to make manual things , VPS delivery or other similar things...

And that is why you are up 18h of 24. or are you just feeding the bats in the cave all day?

Remember me writing WTF man, you have public IP on the nodes ? Wait for a proxmox exploit, that will be fun fun fun.

these things happen, so just sit tight.

Are you now threatening a kid to destroy him? not cool man!

edited December 2023

@TrK said: Are you now threatening a kid to destroy him? not cool man!

ha ha ha, lol, from all, I think I am the last to threaten him, but he is young, he did not see enough shit, but he definitely will, he has a lot of time for that.
    I am barely just guiding him. Reminds me of someone, a few decades ago :smiley:

EDIT:

@Advin

Forgot to thank you for the fast info you provided. :+1:

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @host_c said:

@TrK said: Are you now threatening a kid to destroy him? not cool man!

ha ha ha, lol, from all, I think I am the last to threaten him, but he is young, he did not see enough shit, but he definitely will, he has a lot of time for that.
    I am barely just guiding him. Reminds me of someone, a few decades ago :smiley:

EDIT:

@Advin

Forgot to thank you for the fast info you provided. :+1:

Well, this manner of guiding is new to me, and believe me I didn't like it a bit.

@TrK said: Well, this manner of guiding is new to me, and believe me I didn't like it a bit.

I do not see any threat in the above, you might have understood something else, but we are derailing the thread by this, have something to say, write me.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned