Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AMD AM5 - now with 256GB RAM support
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

AMD AM5 - now with 256GB RAM support

AXYZEAXYZE Member
edited December 2023 in News

MSI announced that their motherboards will support 256GB of RAM. That is possible thanks to new 64GB per stick DDR5 modules. You will need BIOS Update for it, MSI doesnt specify to which motherboards they will add this feature, but in their example they used AMD Ryzen 9 7900X and PRO X670-P WIFI which means that at least AM5 will support it. There is no info about Intel, but we can be sure that other motherboard brands will follow MSI steps and also introduce 256GB RAM support for AM5.

Source: https://www.msi.com/news/detail/MSI-Motherboards-Unleash-Extreme-Power-with-Memory-Capacity-Boosted-To-256GB---142879

I think that is a very big deal and that can have big impact on servers. 16 fast Ryzen cores paired with PCI-E 5.0 and 256GB seem like killer deal in terms of back for the buck. Used EPYCs and Xeons Golds dont look so awesome anymore (unless you need 1TB RAM :D)

Question to providers - does that announcement changed your mind about what you gonna buy/colocate?

Thanked by 2OhJohn lnx

Comments

• @NDTN I remember you spent a lot of time trying to chase down 48GB modules for Ryzen. You may be interested in this news! :)

Thanked by 1NDTN
  • Now I want to see those 64GB modules with ECC, would result in perfect servers with Ryzen+256GB ECC Ram.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • finally Ryzen with no ram limitation

• @cybertech said:
    finally Ryzen with no ram limitation

MOARRRRRRRRR RAM

Thanked by 1cybertech
  • v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

Desktop mainboard + non ECC RAM.
    I don't really see a use case here besides maybe gameservers where reliability/ data integrity are less important compared to usual production workloads.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • @v3ng said:
    I don't really see a use case here besides maybe gameservers where reliability/ data integrity are less important compared to usual production workloads.

You forgot about the idlers who don't care about data integrity whatsoever

• @v3ng said:

will just have to wait for ECC versions

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2023

@v3ng said:
    I don't really see a use case here

Hmmm... all cheap Hetzner dedis come without ECC and their EX44 is cheapo B660 ASUS Prime board. These have a lot of usecases, I use them for high quality live video transcoding.

ECC modules will come shortly, as ECC is just another chip on same stick. As long as AMD/Intel doesnt artificially block it theres no problem.

If ASRock follows MSI steps then we will get 256GB support on ASRock RACK boards, these are servergrade with possibly all you need, including IPMI.

I could bet that in 2024 you will be able to get 256GB on Ryzen with ECC on server-grade mobo

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • ShakibShakib Member, Patron Provider

That's still going to take a few months if the 256G BIOS support is coming on ASRock Rack B650E. I don't know if anyone use MSI boards on servers.

Our G.Skill 192G costs $625 (less now), Corsair 192G - $525 (approx), Crucial Pro 192G - $553

256G will cost around $800 USD while 128G costs $300-$350 USD.

Yes. I will be getting 256G RAM when the BIOS support arrives.

Thanked by 1PineappleM
  • SaahibSaahib Host Rep, Veteran

@v3ng said:

I believe ASRock Rack B650E already support ECC RAM

• v3ngv3ng Member, Patron Provider

yep but to my knowledge there are no ECC 64GB UDIMMs yet

• 128GB RAM on typical ITX boards would be fantastic.

• @Shakib said:
    That's still going to take a few months if the 256G BIOS support is coming on ASRock Rack B650E. I don't know if anyone use MSI boards on servers.

Our G.Skill 192G costs $625 (less now), Corsair 192G - $525 (approx), Crucial Pro 192G - $553

I was thinking about notifying you before I saw your reply here. I knew you would you geek

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider

@Shakib said:

If I recall correctly, the ReliableSite Boot Hardware motherboards are based on MSI server boards

Thanked by 1Shakib
  • 16 Gb enough for everything. Why need 256 Gb for what?

• @jenkki said:
    16 Gb enough for everything. Why need 256 Gb for what?

You like to joke I see :)

• @AXYZE said: You like to joke I see

For a home PC, 16-32 gigs at most is sufficient. For non-gaming 8 GB is enough. Most of the memory is not really used. Why do you need 256 or even 128 What will you do? And how much does this amount of DDR5 cost?

• @jenkki said:

@AXYZE said: You like to joke I see

For a home PC, 16-32 gigs at most is sufficient. For non-gaming 8 GB is enough. Most of the memory is not really used. Why do you need 256 or even 128 What will you do? And how much does this amount of DDR5 cost?

256 GB of RAM is for idling

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • remyremy Member
    edited December 2023

@jenkki said:

Absolutely not. For the majority of users, yes.

I work on projects that require more than 32GB of ram.
    So of course with lots of swap memory it's fine, but it's not perfect in terms of performance.

But I imagine we're talking about servers here, as this processor is highly prized for its single-core performance

Thanked by 2emgh AXYZE
  • @Moopah said: 256 GB of RAM is for idling

Imagine 1Tb RAM after few years. :smiley:

• Many people don't quite realize that parameter bundling is just marketing to get users to buy more and more following larger values.

Bigger dick - more pleasure :smiley:

• @jenkki said:

@Moopah said: 256 GB of RAM is for idling

Imagine 1Tb RAM after few years. :smiley:

I'm idling 1.5 TiB of RAM right now :wink:

Thanked by 1jenkki
  • AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2023

@jenkki said:

I had 32GB month ago in my home PC and I had to add another 32GB.

32GB wasn't enough when I had Photoshop + Resolve + Chrome + uTorrent opened, 85%+ RAM usage.

Now with 64GB I never go above 65%, so this amount of RAM is nice, BUT in next days I will want to record a development of VoD site for LEBTV channel. That will require me to open VSCode, Docker for backend, Nodejs for frontend, video encoder such as SVT-AV1 (eats 6GB ram while transcoding 4K30 video). That easily would push me above 64GB, but I know that I will need to close some things (Resolve and Photoshop) because my Ryzen 3700X wont be able to keep up. If I had 3950X with 16 cores I wouldnt close anything in background so I would prefer to have 128GB to never close anything that I actively use.

As for 256GB - I would never use that much, but I know some simulation programs with big data sets will happily eat that. Virtualisation host in homelab will happily eat that.

• MrRadicMrRadic Patron Provider, Veteran

I don't believe these memory kits are out yet.

• AXYZEAXYZE Member
    edited December 2023

ASRock announced 64GB per stick (256GB total) support for both Intel and AMD!

So it looks like every recent DDR5 motherboard will support it!

@MrRadic these sticks (KF560C36-64) will be available soon, but you can wait some time for other brands that will use these high density Micron chips OR wait for someone to release ECC variant :)

Regular desktop is the new HEDT :D

Thanked by 1MrRadic
  • @AXYZE said:

@jenkki said:

I had 32GB month ago in my home PC and I had to add another 32GB.

32GB wasn't enough when I had Photoshop + Resolve + Chrome + uTorrent opened, 85%+ RAM usage.

it must be uTorrent!

• @AXYZE said:

@MrRadic these sticks (KF560C36-64) will be available soon, but you can wait some time for other brands that will use these high density Micron chips OR wait for someone to release ECC variant :)

any respectable provider will only do ECC ram 😎

• @cybertech said:

@AXYZE said:

any respectable provider will only do ECC ram 😎

Nah