Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NAT VPS + Zerotier
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

NAT VPS + Zerotier

cyanogeniccyanogenic Member
edited December 2023 in Help

I'm looking at some storage vps for secondary backup. I've seen that NAT VPS are cheaper (due to lack of IPv4 address).

I've never used a Nat VPS before... So the question is - If I only want a server as a backup destination for my NAS (data will be encrypted), would I be able to just setup Zerotier on the server and use that to establish a connection easily between my servers and devices?

All my other servers (cloud and at home) have zerotier and can communicate with no issue. Not sure if NAT causes any issue?

My understanding is no, shouldn't be any issues as zerotier enables point to point connections, but just want to double check before I pull the trigger

Comments

• JabJabJabJab Member
    edited December 2023

If we talking LET talk then NAT VPSes have IPv4 - but shared among XXX VPSes and you only get like 4-20 ports to use.
    So things will work even without zerotier - all you will need to do is change ports in configurations of your programs.

• Not all ports are NATed only shared ports between VPSes 80 443 etc... so most probably you will get couple forwarded traversed ports

• cyanogeniccyanogenic Member
    edited December 2023

@JabJab said:
    If we talking LET talk then NAT VPSes have IPv4 - but shared among XXX VPSes and you only get like 4-20 ports to use.
    So things will work even without zerotier - all you will need to do is change ports in configurations of your programs.

So for things like ssh / sftp / rsync I would still be able to access the server via an IP:port, but the port would just need to be configured to something else? Is that right?

• Correct.

• From my experiences, with nat-vps you get a few dedicated ports but shared ip, so if your software is port-configurable, it will work just fine.