Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

HAZI.ro | KVM servers like we've never had before
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

HAZI.ro | KVM servers like we've never had before

FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep
edited December 2023 in Help

Hey!
After opening dozens of discussions and reading hundreds of threads in this community, I realized that we have another niche for growth, in the high performance server market.

I would need your help to understand how many of you would be interested in such packages.

The idea took shape when I made a comparison between reselling Hetzner VPS hosted on AX102 servers or buying my own hardware.

Of course, the proportions are kept and for 10 EUR/month you get double the resources and so on.

For a faithful replication of what I could have obtained from Hetzner, each such equipment will have a dedicated 1Gbps, shared only between it's guests.

Make your choice
  1. Would you pay 5 EUR/mo for 1x vCPU Ryzen 7950X3D, 3GB RAM, 60GB NVMe, 1Gbps connection? [5TB/mo]92 votes
    1. Yes, I would like to have an alternative location to Hetzner resellers
      21.74%
    2. I probably wouldn't buy at first, but along the way I don't rule out buying after a while
      28.26%
    3. No, even if the uptime would be good
      50.00%

Comments

• To be honest offering premium services on a DIY link might not be that great of an idea (even if people say they might buy it). Well, at least you should make sure you target a niche that's mostly into number crunching (i.e. isn't bothered by the not-that-great bandwidth).

Maybe you could do something with GFX cards or even better compute cards. You could even make it into a budget offering since older compute cards go for practically nothing on Ebay. Again not sure how the response would be but it would be a quite unique offering, that's for sure.

Thanked by 2jsg emgh
  • @totally_not_banned said:
    To be honest offering premium services on a DIY link might not be that great of an idea (even if people say they might buy it). Well, at least you should make sure you target a niche that's mostly into number crunching (i.e. isn't bothered by the not-that-great bandwidth).

Maybe you could do something with GFX cards or even better compute cards. You could even make it into a budget offering since older compute cards go for practically nothing on Ebay. Again not sure how the response would be but it would be a quite unique offering, that's for sure.

There's a big idling market out there than can be tapped into

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

@totally_not_banned said:
    To be honest offering premium services on a DIY link might not be that great of an idea (even if people say they might buy it). Well, at least you should make sure you target a niche that's mostly into number crunching (i.e. isn't bothered by the not-that-great bandwidth).

I mentioned in the thread that both the purchase of this equipment and another additional one would be followed by another guaranteed 1Gbps upgrade.
    I mentioned this precisely to have the lowest possible error rate, because either from your own location or through Hetzner, there would still be a 1Gbps uplink.
    The major difference consists in peerings, but the client already knows if he is satisfied or not with the latency until we have looking glass.

Graphics cards consume a lot of electricity, I honestly don't think I can even cover that cost at what prices the world wants for those resources.
    Thanks for the idea anyway, I appreciate it!

@Moopah said:

• @Moopah said:

Idling premium servers? While i am very sure it exists i am not that sure how big it is ;)

• @totally_not_banned said:

@Moopah said:

Idling premium servers? While i am very sure it exists i am not that sure how big it is ;)

I know at least one customer in that market

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

:+1:

• edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:

I mentioned in the thread that both the purchase of this equipment and another additional one would be followed by another guaranteed 1Gbps upgrade.

Well, that's actually pretty cool but it brings you to what? 3Gbps shared across how many servers/VPSs? Don't get me wrong i pretty much like what your doing but bandwidth currently isn't really your strong point and 1Gbps more is not making that much of a difference in my opinion.

I mentioned this precisely to have the lowest possible error rate, because either from your own location or through Hetzner, there would still be a 1Gbps uplink.
    The major difference consists in peerings, but the client already knows if he is satisfied or not with the latency until we have looking glass.

And the fact that Hetzner also has a bit more than 3Gbps bandwidth at it's disposal. Sure it's shared across way more boxes but i guess it's still a bit more likely you'll actually get to max out your local link.

Graphics cards consume a lot of electricity, I honestly don't think I can even cover that cost at what prices the world wants for those resources.
    Thanks for the idea anyway, I appreciate it!

Yeah, energy is a problem with those, that's pretty much true. I wouldn't instantly discount it though as it would really be a pretty unique offer (well at least in the lowend world) and maybe you could still get some interesting plans together while factoring in energy costs.

Thanked by 2FlorinMarian emgh

@totally_not_banned

Even with only 130MB/s guaranteed (250 best-effort) the bandwidth consumption looks like this.

We really did not attract customers who would abuse having that hard limit of 20TB, after which it drops from 125MB to 12.5MB until the end of the month. I'm not the one in the community who left a message "come and buy our services" even when the OP was clearly asking for unlimited traffic, knowing why.
    Then, just 20 minutes ago I received the confirmation that the contact person from Orange received the documents and I will sign them soon to switch to 2Gbps guaranteed in their network.
    After the upgrade, we will have 660TB/month with Orange and 50TB with RCS&RDS, both guaranteed. This is only IPv4, IPv6 doubles the values.

• edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    @totally_not_banned

Even with only 130MB/s guaranteed (250 best-effort) the bandwidth consumption looks like this.

We really did not attract customers who would abuse having that hard limit of 20TB, after which it drops from 125MB to 12.5MB until the end of the month. I'm not the one in the community who left a message "come and buy our services" even when the OP was clearly asking for unlimited traffic, knowing why.
    Then, just 20 minutes ago I received the confirmation that the contact person from Orange received the documents and I will sign them soon to switch to 2Gbps guaranteed in their network.
    After the upgrade, we will have 660TB/month with Orange and 50TB with RCS&RDS, both guaranteed. This is only IPv4, IPv6 doubles the values.

OK, maybe it's working out better than i think (not saying i am an expert at being a datacenter ;)) but i am still a little skeptical as to how it would scale. Obviously i hope it's going to be alright. I like DIY ;)

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian

what you do not calculate tehir is PPS, 100 clients are not 400 in terms of PPS.

If your networking cannot keep up + provider, you can have 1000 clients and think that all of them are idle-ing.

but i like that you start reading and taking into consideration what others tell you.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@host_c said:

what you do not calculate tehir is PPS, 100 clients are not 400 in terms of PPS.

In idling we trust

And total PPS for 46 virtual machines

So, 525pps/46vm ≈ 11.4 pps/vm => 4.5k pps for 400 virtual machines. Not that huge load at all!

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • @host_c said:

If your networking cannot keep up + provider, you can have 1000 clients and think that all of them are idle-ing.

but i like that you start reading and taking into consideration what others tell you.

If clients are not idling, they are bad clients

@Moopah said:

@host_c said:

If clients are not idling, they are bad clients

Fortunately, for this there is a limit of 20TB/mo for traffic at maximum speed, and it is displayed on the order page, after which you are automatically limited to 100Mbps until the end of the month, to know from the very beginning when you have crossed the "Unilimited" threshold (fair usage)".

After estimating the purchase price, I realized that I did not take into account that the memory should be ECC.
    If anyone knows a place where DDR5 ECC DIMMs are more affordable, be my guest.

• edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    After estimating the purchase price, I realized that I did not take into account that the memory should be ECC.
    If anyone knows a place where DDR5 ECC DIMMs are more affordable, be my guest.

Flea markets? ;)

I am still not that convinced on trying to play the highend-lowend-game. Sure, having some offer to complete your lineup might make sense but in general i'd expect the market to be pretty much as saturated as the hosting market in general (well, unless you know something i don't and there really is some massive shortage for these kind of plans). I understand that finding niches is hard though.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

I will buy if you send me 20 push-ups every month.

@yoursunny said:
    I will buy if you send me 20 push-ups every month.

No thanks, I'm not the best at push-ups.

P.S. Just sent signed documents to Orange to upgrade our infra from 2Gbps to 3Gbps best-effort (2150Mbps guaranteed).
    Their deployment time is up to 30 days but I hope that they'll do it faster.

• What on earth makes you think your setup/ location would make a good "High Performance"/ Premium market?

Given the amount of threads from you recently it looks like you finally start to realize no sane person who isnt hosting some shady stuff will choose you over the countless (cheaper) options in an actual dc.

Your argument with x daily backups isnt a selling point either.
    Even 100 onsite backups will help the user if your locations becomes unreachable

@FatStacks said:
    What on earth makes you think your setup/ location would make a good "High Performance"/ Premium market?

The fact that such offers are rare and expensive in Romania / Bulgaria / Moldova / Ukraine and Hungary. According to your principle, it would not be normal for more than half of the clients to be Asian because is a high latency, because the quality of the internet is bad, but the numbers indicate something else.

Given the amount of threads from you recently it looks like you finally start to realize no sane person who isnt hosting some shady stuff will choose you over the countless (cheaper) options in an actual dc.

No my friend, you are sorely mistaken. If you were right, you would either have seen me attracting all kinds of dubious clients (which never happened) or I would have gone bankrupt in the 3 years since I existed.
    If you don't want to accept that the move was beneficial for us, that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Your argument with x daily backups isnt a selling point either.
    Even 100 onsite backups will help the user if your locations becomes unreachable

I am convinced that most providers offer backups in 3 redundant locations for lowend packages with large disk, unlimited bandwidth and candy prices.

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

@FlorinMarian said:
    @totally_not_banned

[Screenshot showing low usage]

I think the point is mainly a psychological one. (a) Romania ~ not exactly good reputation in hosting (that may or may not be justified, but it is like that anyway), and (b) single digit Gb/s links.

(a) means that to compensate, being cheap isn't enough, and (b) for many boils down to "nuh, I'll choose a provider with fat uplinks".

You see, most people don't tick like "oh well, as long as my 100 Mb/s fit in well it's good enough" plus nowadays even single digit Gb/s is what many have, or can get, at home.

The way I see it you have two routes:

• stick to your in my basement hosting and (a) be cheap, and I mean really cheap, plus (b) slowly build up a good reputation (as in "really works well, next to no downtime, good enough connectivity anyway plus interesting nodes plus great support")
    • switch to a good professional colo that is, get rid of the "meh, basement colo" stigma.

You see, if Hetzner (and no, I'm not a fan of them) looses 5 Gb/s due to some unfortunate event, nobody but their NOC people will even notice it. If the same happens to you, you are belly up in the water.

Thanked by 1FlorinMarian
  • @jsg said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    @totally_not_banned

I think the point is mainly a psychological one. (a) Romania ~ not exactly good reputation in hosting (that may or may not be justified, but it is like that anyway), and (b) single digit Gb/s links.

(a) means that to compensate, being cheap isn't enough, and (b) for many boils down to "nuh, I'll choose a provider with fat uplinks".

You see, most people don't tick like "oh well, as long as my 100 Mb/s fit in well it's good enough" plus nowadays even single digit Gb/s is what many have, or can get, at home.

• stick to your in my basement hosting and (a) be cheap, and I mean really cheap, plus (b) slowly build up a good reputation (as in "really works well, next to no downtime, good enough connectivity anyway plus interesting nodes plus great support")
    • switch to a good professional colo that is, get rid of the "meh, basement colo" stigma.

You see, if Hetzner (and no, I'm not a fan of them) looses 5 Gb/s due to some unfortunate event, nobody but their NOC people will even notice it. If the same happens to you, you are belly up in the water.

We can thank @cociu for that reputation

Thanked by 2jsg FlorinMarian

@Moopah said:

Cociu wasn't the only bad apple, there are other too, e.g. one that doxed his defrauded customer (sorry, forgot the name), but yes, I think, you are largely right.

@jsg said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    @totally_not_banned

I don't compare myself directly to Hetzner because I don't offer the same facilities, and I'm aware that I can't afford it.

The services I offer are definitely an alternative to what everyone around already has.

I look to add value where I can:

• without KYC but without tolerating gross abuses
    • crypto payment and paysafecard in addition to bank card
    • technical support with fast and relevant answers for clients' problems, not just fast for the sake of some KPIs
    • increased customer care, considering that for us every 10 new/departing customers means a significant percentage of the revenue.

@Moopah said:

@jsg said:

@FlorinMarian said:
    @totally_not_banned

I remember my first threads for sale on LET in 2020, back then cociu was on the wave.
    I remember even now how I asked myself.. "how to sell so many resources for that money and still have profit?". Speaking alone, I thought that no one would answer me, but life made sure that it didn't leave me with that question in my mind too much.

• After @cociu , the reputation of Romanian providers figuratively and literally went into the basement

Thanked by 2host_c Peppery9

@FlorinMarian

I do absolutely not doubt your integrity and good intentions. But still, your hosting is in Romania and still 2 to 5 Gb/s is "next to nothing" nowadays.

And do not underestimate the non-rationality of humans! I "preach" since years that even 100 Mb/s are more than enough for 80+% of all websites (and 1 Gb/s covers 95+% of all websites, the ones run by LET users anyway) - yet even most customers feel that an offer with 500 Mb/s is too tight and turn away, even ones who are looking for a well below $5/month VPS.

Thanked by 1host_c
  • why would I buy from you when I can buy direct from Hetzer ? I'm asking for a friend

@Moopah is right, and others.

The PR shit after @cociu event is affecting negatively the Romanian Providers.
    You took the decision to ignore it, ok, just remember, for a while people will associate you, me, calin and other RO Host Providers with, well, not Hetzner that is for sure. :D

Proving them wrong, will take some time, you and calin being in home host, does not help either, when I told you this last time, you lost it, please don't burst into flames this time. :)

But as I see, I am not the only one having this opinion.

Now, customers of @cociu have their fault also, someone here wrote in a thread that "if it is too cheap to believe it, it is a lye/fake", well, he was right.

It will be difficult and it will take a long time to prove your point, not impossible, your home-host project is doable, convincing people will be the hard part.

@jsg is on point here, 5% of the total customers will consume more than 400 MBPS constant up / down, the rest will do spikes, and that is all.

But most want to have that 9GBPS / sec just to show others what a cool deal they got fu 5$ ( even if it is limited to 1 TB traffic )

Thanked by 1jsg
  • @host_c said:

You took the decision to ignore it, ok, just remember, for a while people will associate you, me, calin and other RO Host Providers with, well, not Hetzner that is for sure. :D

Proving them wrong, will take some time, you and calin being in home host, does not help either, when I told you this last time, you lost it, please don't burst into flames this time. :)

Now, customers of @cociu have their fault also, someone here wrote in a thread that "if it is too cheap to believe it, it is a lye/fake", well, he was right.

It will be difficult and it will take a long time to prove your point, not impossible, your home-host project is doable, convincing people will be the hard part.

@jsg is on point here, 5% of the total customers will consume more than 400 MBPS constant up / down, the rest will do spikes, and that is all.

But most want to have that 9GBPS / sec just to show others what a cool deal they got fu 5$ ( even if it is limited to 1 TB traffic )

Sir, where's picture of your basement? I only saw Calin's and Florin's

• @host_c said:

lol, the TRASH that the romania providers provide affect them, and the lack of interes for their customers.