Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VMware licensing changes
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VMware licensing changes

LeviLevi Member

Well well well, vmware pulling the rug by ditching perpetual licenses and introducing subscriptions.

While existing licenses will work, they eventually will loose support.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2023/12/broadcom-ends-vmware-perpetual-license-sales-testing-customers-and-partners/

Comments

• ehhthingehhthing Member
    edited December 2023

Wouldn't blame VMWare here. Fuck Broadcom.

They're also discontinuing their consumer hypervisor offering (VMWare Workstation), which really sucks since imo it was much better than VirtualBox.

Nevermind they just seem to have had layoffs for that department but in theory the product shouldn't be discontinued.

https://www.techspot.com/news/101180-broadcom-not-axe-desktop-hypervisor-workstation-products-after.html

• glad i migrated most of my shit to xcp-ng
    there's even enterprise support if you're into that sort of thing

you can even go lazier with xenorchestra updater/installer that available off github

Thanked by 1host_c
  • @ScreenReader said:
    glad i migrated most of my shit to xcp-ng

you can even go lazier with xenorchestra updater/installer that available off github

suble.io dude? :)

• @LTniger said:

@ScreenReader said:
    glad i migrated most of my shit to xcp-ng

suble.io dude? :)

i believe you're mistaken

• I've never used the server-side solutions of VMware but on the client side virtualization, no matter the hardware, VirtualBox has always been significantly faster add more responsive than what VMware offers.

Thanked by 1WebProject
  • mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2023

I remember Teamviewer doing this despite promising they would never go the subscription route. Then, over time, they made it harder and harder for us perpetual users to use Teamviewer until we moved over.

• Who is next?

• CrabCrab Member
    edited December 2023

VMware ESXi is a great product and all free. Hopefully they don't mess with it.

• The same shit as DirectAdmin licensing :(

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

Enterprise is the level they aimed at from the start, they are there, and they want to stay there, and frankly, they will stay there for a very long time.
    Those companies could not care less if they pay / YR, they upgrade to each version either-way.

Low/Small/Mid companies have no use for vMware, as having 3 servers ( new ) is an overkill for them. This space is dominated by Proxmox/ xcp-ng/ other KVM.

I see no difference in asking 4500 USD for Essentials Plus V7, and after 3 years pay same amount to upgrade to 8, or ask 1500 USD/ year from start.

Proxmox has same pricing model, difference they had it from start.

€ 490/year & CPU socket - for STANDARD.

We actually have 2 customers who pay for support, and I have to say, there is a difference in free and payed repositories.

On a personal note, since Prox 7 I see no need for vMware free.

• @host_c said: there is a difference in free and payed repositories.

And what is that difference? I never could find a clear answer online, and I don't feel like paying just to find out.

• @mrl22 said:
    I remember Teamviewer doing this despite promising they would never go the subscription route

Yes, the corporate investment cocksuckers, who got a hold of TV are truly epic.

We've actually had lifetime license for teamviewer 9. It allowed 3 (three) simultaneous connections and the cost was about 3000 Eur. Were ripped off no matter what.

Ironically, the classic v9 (native Win app) also worked much better than the current versions, which appear to be something like electron-based trash.

-- https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/108667/teamviewer-9-10-end-of-life
    -- https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/119369/has-anyone-who-bought-a-lifetime-license-for-earlier-version-5-gotten-free-update-to-v-1

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@host_c said: they upgrade to each version either-way

Or stay on the same ancient version for ages. #enterprise-life

• @raindog308 said:

@host_c said: they upgrade to each version either-way

Or stay on the same ancient version for ages. #enterprise-life

Given how more malware and ransomware attacks target ESXi, that would be company and career suicide these days.

• DataIdeas-JoshDataIdeas-Josh Member, Patron Provider

@mrl22 said:
    I remember Teamviewer doing this despite promising they would never go the subscription route. Then, over time, they made it harder and harder for us perpetual users to use Teamviewer until we moved over.

They had flagged my account as business even though I only use it for my personal desktop. I guess because I use a pro version of windows they weren't happy about that.
    So no longer use teamviewer.
    Also they now making you sign in to even use it at all off of the latest download.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@TimboJones said: Given how more malware and ransomware attacks target ESXi, that would be company and career suicide these days.

And yet companies do it.

I've talked to people in big companies who are still running Windows 2003, SQL 2000, ancient RHEL, etc. because

• the vendor's software only supported that version and they went out of business
    • the company stopped paying maintenance and doesn't have upgrade rights
    • it's "going away soon" (for a decade)
    • it'd be painful to move and it's not a priority
    • the guy who knew the environment quit and no one else understands it well enough to risk an upgrade

...and other answers. I'd wager every single Fortune 500 other than perhaps Microsoft and Google have environments that are long out of support and in need of upgrade.

Thanked by 2host_c bikegremlin
  • risharderisharde Patron Provider, Veteran

Perpetual is nice but probably not sustainable for big companies with many workers. I don't mind a fair price on subscription based services but some of these companies are overdoing it.

Thanked by 1mrl22
  • @mrl22 said:

How did they make it harder and harder?

• @DataRecovery said:
    Ironically, the classic v9 (native Win app) also worked much better than the current versions, which appear to be something like electron-based trash.

-- https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/108667/teamviewer-9-10-end-of-life
    -- https://community.teamviewer.com/English/discussion/119369/has-anyone-who-bought-a-lifetime-license-for-earlier-version-5-gotten-free-update-to-v-1

How did it work better? Can you still use it?

• mrl22mrl22 Member
    edited December 2023

@josephf said: How did they make it harder and harder?

Just off the top of my head:

1. Displaying adverts about upgrading our perpetual license every time we disconnect from a client.

2. Limiting file transfers to 50kbps

3. Making it so you can only connect to clients with the same or older version of TV while at the same time displaying ads on client computers to get them to upgrade to the latest client.