Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anybody using ClouDNS or other DNS?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Anybody using ClouDNS or other DNS?

kerouackerouac Member
edited December 2013 in General

I'm looking for a DNS provider. ClouDNS seems suitable, but I can't decide if they're trustworth enough. Anybody using them? I read there was a big loss of data sometime ago, have they done anything to make up for that?

Do you know any other cheap yet trustworthy DNS providers? European servers highly preferred.

I'm looking for something with a fixed cheap price like ClouDNS, but not free providers. I used to use afraid.org back in the day and one day everything was dumped.

I know about 1984.is, (not enough different locations) and Rage4, not really liking that one but not sure why.

PS: I emailed cloudns before, not recieved any answer. Not a good way to make a sale, if they won't answer a sales mail, how can I trust them to provide any proper service...

Comments

• netomxnetomx Moderator, Veteran

Rage4 or cloudflare

• My current DNS configuration is 1 self-hosted PowerDNS master, 5 self-hosted PowerDNS slaves, and 6 ClouDNS slaves (using their premium DNS servers only). Overkill yes, but lots of redundancy. :P

I've used them for 6 months. The premium servers in Europe have been very reliable with the exception of their server in Moscow which seemed to have frequent outages when I tried it. I haven't tried their free DNS servers.

Thanked by 2kerouac vRozenSch00n
  • I use DNSMadeEasy, but I've looked at Rage4 and their server was fine, but I kept going over the 250K queries a month for free DNS, so DNSMadeEasy was the cheaper of the two.

• MaouniqueMaounique Host Rep, Veteran

Our customers get free full rage4 for biz, kvm and iwstack accounts.
    Also, our partner dns4.pro has anycast network in many locations: www.dns4.pro
    That comes free for any customer.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @Maounique I love the bottom part of www.dns4.pro that states "This project is co-owned by Prometeus"

Thanked by 1Amfy

Yes, as I mentioned, "partner" :)
    We lacked a serious own offer for dns since we started, I made a tutorial for freedns.afraid.org, but that changed since a few months :)

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @Maounique said:
    Our customers get free full rage4 for biz, kvm and iwstack accounts.

Does "free full" mean unlimited queries and/or for unlimited domains?

Means unlimited in both aspects, yes.

• I think this chart will help you http://www.solvedns.com/dns-comparison/

For me, so far I'm satisfied with cloudflare.

• lukesUbuntulukesUbuntu Member
    edited December 2013

I have a paid account with cloudns.net the support is awesome, and there services are good. When did you send them a email? I would just hit up a free account & send a support ticket mine always get answered

• I'm using PointDNS (PointHQ) they have been excellent for the last year or so I've been using them.

• nfnnfn Veteran
    edited December 2013

DNSMadeEasy are very good and cheap.

• I also have paid ClouDNS and it's pretty good.

• I'm using CloudDNS premium plan,not on serious site so I don't know whether it is stable.

• Mark_RMark_R Member
    edited December 2013

I'm very satisfied with www.zonomi.com

low price and alot of good features

i've had never any issues with them, i most likely never will change my DNS provider.

You only have to pay if you exceed these limitations:

1 domain/zone,
    Up to 10 DNS records

• I've used cloudns for a long time. They had a few issues when they launched but have been fine since then. All in a good service.

I've used rage4 too, so far it seems great too and includes some addition features which are nice. Only downside is the price, if I had all of my high traffic sites on rage4 would cost significantly more than cloudns.

I wasn't aware of dns4.pro but will check them out.

Thanked by 1Amfy
  • @prae5 said:
    if I had all of my high traffic sites on rage4 would cost significantly more than cloudns.

ClouDNS has fixed price for unlimited I think. Or does it not?

@Maounique said:
    Means unlimited in both aspects, yes.

I may or may not be your customer :) I had checked that one some time ago, couldn't understand how it was different from free Rage4. So completely free unlimited, huh? Well that's good! Is DNS4 related to Rage4, both being "in cahoots" with you and both having "4" in the name.

Also there's no info for paid accounts on dns4, why not?

• @kerouac - yes CloudDNS has a fixed price for unlimited use, $2 per month for unlimited usage.

Rage4 is great too, however does work out much more expensive. If you have a few high usage domains it quickly starts to add up. Feature wise it offers more than cloudns, but its not the cheapest option.

• Since I have to move out from Rage4, anybody using ClouDNS in 2016?

• ShadeShade Member
    edited July 2016

pechspilz said: Since I have to move out from Rage4, anybody using ClouDNS in 2016?

Go with DNSMadeEasy - Very reliable.

• tr1ckytr1cky Member

@pechspilz said:
    Since I have to move out from Rage4, anybody using ClouDNS in 2016?

Switched to Route 53, seems like I'll be paying ~6$/m with them for what I use:

• 1.5m geodns queries
    • 6 health checks
    • 1 zone
  • @Shade said:

pechspilz said: Since I have to move out from Rage4, anybody using ClouDNS in 2016?

Go with DNSMadeEasy - Very reliable.

I don't really like DME. No progress since I left in 2014, everything is still exactly the same. No DNSSEC/SSHFP either. Route 53 has no SSHFP either.

• sinsin Member

I use Cloudflare which has been perfect.

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

currently using DigitalOcean vanity NS, and it's on CloudFlare

• @NanoG6 said: currently using DigitalOcean vanity NS, and it's on CloudFlare

Wut ??

• NanoG6NanoG6 Member

I know, right ;)

• CryckCryck Member

Actually yes and it has been solid so far.
    Can't complain.

• I use ClouDNS now they have anycast available on their own network. I cannot complain about them, even about the support. Obviously i use a premium account, on standard account there is no anycast. I also use CloudFlare and my own servers aswell.

• filefile Member

DigitalOcean is probably using CloudFlare Virtual DNS[1] for the caching and DDoS protection. A few companies are doing it.

[1] https://www.cloudflare.com/virtual-dns/

Thanked by 3Dylan NanoG6 aglodek
  • filefile Member

DigitalOcean is probably using CloudFlare Virtual DNS[1] for the caching and DDoS protection. A few companies are doing it.

[1] https://www.cloudflare.com/virtual-dns/