Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Google Drive Data Centres - Windows 10Gbit VPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Google Drive Data Centres - Windows 10Gbit VPS

Hi All,

Looking for a Windows VPS 10Gbit on an hourly basis in a location close to where Google Drive files are stored.. I know they have data centres all over and use CDN but 20MBps on Gigabit connection is not the best so wanting to shorten the distance as i have a large amount of files needing transferring. Can anyone help or have advice?

Happy to purchase a Dedi with around 1TB SSD for a month also.

Comments

• I'm not 100% sure but if i remember correctly google themself imposes a speed limit.

Thanked by 1homelabber
  • Where are Google Drive files stored?

• GCP. Free data transfer between Google services & free inbound data transfer.

Thanked by 1socialzzz
  • You won't go above that speed and even if you would then you'll be quickly hitting IO hardlimits (yes, there are IO limits for reads too) and your files won't be accessible for couple of hours. You probably saw this error many times when you wanted to download popular shared file - this is also IO hardlimit, but per file rather than per account.

I managed to hit this IO hardlimit many times and decided to switch to Hetzner dedicated servers (back when they were 100euro for 100TB).

Only way to avoid that is to have big cache in-front.
    1TB SSD is not enough as big cache for 10Gbps server, unless you don't have that big GDrive (but then, why even go with these hassles instead of getting 2-4TB HDD RAID10 server in a first place?)

Thanked by 2RIYAD homelabber
  • I'm quite convinced that 200Mbps is a setup error (if you actually have a full gigabit connection and a good connection).

Use the Rclone program, configure the right memory buffers and upload threads and you can get good speeds.

At least in my tests, both uploads and downloads can be done at 100MB/s without question, and that's with 8 threads at the same time.

Have a wander around the Rclone forums and you'll find lots of suggestions for improving speed.

• RickBakkrRickBakkr Member, Patron Provider, LIR
    edited December 2023

We can offer you a server in the big city near to the place Google has their big Eemshaven site in NL. In fact, our facility was previously used by Google.

Although latency-wise everything is backhauled through major PoPs like Hamburg and Amsterdam anyway, so getting near won't help :-)