Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

boomer.host issue?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

boomer.host issue?

daps94daps94 Member
edited December 2023 in General

I use dedicated privacy.org cards for any host requiring credit card payment and yeah....this happened today. Lucky the card was retired. If you used boomer.host check your cards .
https://pasteboard.co/xpEshnDACSc0.png

Comments

• might want to go easy on the 100 % "WAS HACKED" since there could be many other explanations

anyway, I'm sure we'll depending on what others say

• So hacked. Deadpool iminent.

• @emgh said:
    might want to go easy on the 100 % "WAS HACKED" since there could be many other explanations

anyway, I'm sure we'll depending on what others say

This card was only used on boomer host, it's a temporary 1 time 1 vendor card. I have 100s of cards this is the only one that got a 50k charge for papa's pastries today. So think what you want , but imho boomerhost leaked some credit card data .

• $58k... These people are stupid. They could have just charged $20 stolen from each person, and no one would have noticed. The guy was probably hungry.

• Do you remember how they handled payments? What payment gateaway? Did you have to input the creditcard data on their website or a 3rd party one like Stripe?

• @ardudi said:
    Do you remember how they handled payments? What payment gateaway? Did you have to input the creditcard data on their website or a 3rd party one like Stripe?

I dont remember, but im pretty certain i entered it on their website, for stripe i would just used my saved card .

Thanked by 1ardudi
  • jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran
    edited December 2023

https://www.trustpilot.com/reviews/657004310a939cfb0e7deb0e

Now more than likely this is a review of someone using privacy.com who had their card number stolen at a compromised or malicious vendor. However, it's enough to remind you to consider that there are at minimum two places to compromise to get that data. Don't think for a second that privacy.com is too big to fail, as though large and established businesses are never compromised.

• @daps94 said: So think what you want , but imho boomerhost leaked some credit card data .

I'm not saying I think otherwise, no reason to get overly defensive, I just said that the exact same reasoning could be put the other way around: If nobody else has had the same thing happen to them, you think they hacked one card?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @jar said: at minimum two places

At minimum 3 tbh

Boomer
    Privacy.com
    PEBKAC

• ezethezeth Member, Patron Provider

This is fake. We've always used Stripe Checkout and do not store any Credit Card details on our billing platform

• @ezeth said:
    This is fake. We've always used Stripe Checkout and do not store any Credit Card details on our billing platform

Just so that I understand this right, you store tokens, that ONLY you can authorize with Stripe to charge any saved cards, right?

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Boomer

Thanked by 1shruub
  • @HostSlick said:
    Boomer

Deez

• @ezeth said:

It's not fake .. but i'll update the title and give you benefit of the doubt. Have you always used stripe?

Thanked by 1emgh
  • If many people use privacy.com one time cards, ofc they will be recycled sometimes.

@emgh said:

@ezeth said:

Just so that I understand this right, you store tokens, that ONLY you can authorize with Stripe to charge any saved cards, right?

Right. We use this https://www.clientexec.com/addons/clientexec/gateway/stripecheckout

Customers enter their cc details on a stripe checkout url. We never touch the credit card details. I've just checked the stripe billing dashboard and I see no such outrageous charge attempts.

Wherever this leaked it's not us.

• Why 58K? Ridicious amount for the hacker

@daps94 said: Have you always used stripe?

Yes, I've been using Stripe Checkout since day one.

• @daps94 said:

@ardudi said:
    Do you remember how they handled payments? What payment gateaway? Did you have to input the creditcard data on their website or a 3rd party one like Stripe?

I dont remember, but im pretty certain i entered it on their website, for stripe i would just used my saved card .

Why don't you use Privacy.com with Stripe?

• AdvinAdvin Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

It's possible that the card number was guessed, this can rarely happen and I've heard of similar stories from others who use virtual credit cards where random charges started popping up and they were informed that it was likely not the merchant. Could be that virtual credit card numbers are also more targeted because usually they don't support 3D secure or something like that.

• Boom is still learning how to use a computer - I doubt he's a carder.

Thanked by 1randvegeta
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

I'd say unlikely that it had to do with Boomer. Any cards can be guessed, I've had my own business card compromised with BIN guessing. Throwaway card services are even easier to do due to lack of security features. Best you can do is setup notifications for payments over $X if your bank/card issuer supports it and monitor your accounts.

• @kait said:
    If many people use privacy.com one time cards, ofc they will be recycled sometimes.

Not sure if they have a customer base this large yet, but it'll probably happen sometime
    (regardless, when launch in EU or launch of a better alternative, aka not revolt???)

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

58k sounds bullshit, that doesn't make sense.
    Even if you have a real credit card, your bank is surely flagging it and call you.

Revolut frooze my card for buying 30€ in cloud credits.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • randvegetarandvegeta Member, Host Rep

@ezeth said:

Here here. You guys are unhackable any way, what with all the physical papers used. Besides, isn't it mandatory to pay you by cheque?

• @shruub said:

@kait said:
    If many people use privacy.com one time cards, ofc they will be recycled sometimes.

Not sure if they have a customer base this large yet, but it'll probably happen sometime
    (regardless, when launch in EU or launch of a better alternative, aka not revolt???)

Klarna offers disposable cards free of added charges with their credit card

I use it and really like it

Probably not avaliable everywhere though

• emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

Actually, it seems Klarna is going global

Even launching the card in the US

https://www.klarna.com/us/klarna-card/

Edit: Terms in the US seem shitty compared to what they offer in Sweden, so check actual details where you live.. but their disposable cards are great

• @emgh said:

@shruub said:

@kait said:

Looks interesting, and at least a tad better, thanks :^)
    Then again, their support article in my language, other than, e.g. the US one says: (Translated)
    "Good to know: If you already have a Klarna Card, you don't need a one-time card - simply use your Klarna Card for shopping."
    so yeah

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@shruub said:

@emgh said:

@shruub said:

@kait said:

Looks interesting, and at least a tad better, thanks :^)
    Then again, their support article in my language, other than, e.g. the US one says: (Translated)
    "Good to know: If you already have a Klarna Card, you don't need a one-time card - simply use your Klarna Card for shopping."
    so yeah

Yeah, the only downside I guess is that you can’t have multiple. You can easily ”replace” and do this whenever you like, but there can only be one active disposable card at the same time.

From what I remember though, it functions like a real card. Nothing is blocked and it’s just as secure as the main card.

In Sweden (seems to differ per country) I pay absolutely nothing for it, and that includes 30 day payment interest free (but I don’t use it really), the main reason I got it was the low currency exchange fees, the disposable cards are just very nice to have on hosts you don’t trust fully that require card details etc.

Thanked by 1shruub
  • MikeAMikeA Member, Patron Provider

Just wanna share this.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Lastpass/comments/18ewozo/my_credit_card_that_is_locked_to_lp_just_got/

Reddit post from 4 days ago about a Privacy.com card user being charged $58K as well. So this issue is definitely related to Privacy.com issued temp cards being BIN guessed/botted.

Thanked by 4emgh SirFoxy Void daps94