Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seeking a cheap privacy-friendly VPS to host a Matrix server (1 year or more)
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Seeking a cheap privacy-friendly VPS to host a Matrix server (1 year or more)

Hello there! I have a small cannabis growing Discord and wanted to experiment with bridging it to Matrix for more privacy-centric users. However, it appears you cannot do this with the Matrix app until it is self hosted.. I know very little about it so I figure I should just buy a full year in a privacy-friendly region. I'm unsure what specs are required, I am just getting back into this after more than 10 years without owning a VPS. Nothing in North America please.

Thanks very much in advance for any assistance!

Comments

• JeDaYoshiJeDaYoshi Member
    edited December 2023

However, it appears you cannot do this with the Matrix app until it is self hosted..

Not really. There is a public Matrix bridge bot you can use. Just create a room in a homeserver you're comfortable having it on, and bring the bot there.

Also, running a Matrix server will be expensive since Synapse (main Matrix server implementation) requires a TON of resources as your homeserver grows on userbase, including those you federate with.

Thanked by 1bdl
  • alexhostalexhost Member, Patron Provider

@rolex said:
    Hello there! I have a small cannabis growing Discord and wanted to experiment with bridging it to Matrix for more privacy-centric users. However, it appears you cannot do this with the Matrix app until it is self hosted.. I know very little about it so I figure I should just buy a full year in a privacy-friendly region. I'm unsure what specs are required, I am just getting back into this after more than 10 years without owning a VPS. Nothing in North America please.

Hi.

We can offer something for you!
    https://alexhost.com/vps/

Own Datacenter, Own Network and Hardware!
    In Republic of Moldova (Europe)

We are privacy-friendly (just read our AUP).
    Crypto payment accepted here ;)

Alexhost

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

@rolex said:
    Nothing in North America please.

If not North America, you're definitely not looking for the EU, Asia and Africa either.

• @davide said:

@rolex said:
    Nothing in North America please.

If not North America, you're definitely not looking for the EU, Asia and Africa either.

Why would anyone care so much about a weed growing discord?

Esp. since there’s countries where it’s legal

• @emgh said:

I think trading was implied.

• @davide said:

@emgh said:

I think trading was implied.

Ah, maybe it was

Never seen Discord being used for that as it’s rarely used for ”local” groups, but yes being careful makes more sense if there’s selling etc

• FranciscoFrancisco Top Host, Host Rep, Veteran

We have some Matrix servers in LUX :)

Francisco

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

Maybe a VPS in Bhutan, they have no foreign relations or embassies. But they require a license for everything.

Edit: okay they have a couple of embassies.

• @Francisco said:
    We have some Matrix servers in LUX :)

Francisco

What you don’t have though, is stock :)

Thanked by 2kait shruub
  • crunchbitscrunchbits Member, Patron Provider, Top Host

@davide said:
    Maybe a VPS in Bhutan, they have no foreign relations or embassies. But they require a license for everything.

Edit: okay they have a couple of embassies.

Beautiful place, highly recommend to go cleanse soul if possible.

@rolex said:

@MannDude with IncogNET in NL might be a very good fit.

Thanked by 1MannDude
  • MannDudeMannDude Host Rep, Veteran

@rolex said:

We've got stock in the Netherlands, and our business is built around privacy. Take a look.

With that said, plenty of marijuana related sites hosted in the USA where we have a larger presence. Your choice though, of course.

Good luck.

Thanked by 1sillycat
  • @rolex said:

Check our offers: https://www.c1vhosting.it/index.php?rp=/store/vps-nvme-c1v-basic-ai-setup

• DirectNodeNLDirectNodeNL Member, Host Rep

You can take a look at our website. We are based in The Netherlands and we can supply DMCA ignored servics. We have a strict privacy policy.

Website: https://directnode.nl (Site is only Dutch, Support available in multiple languages)

• @rolex said:

send me a invite if your discord is open