Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

DirectAdmin and WHMCS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

DirectAdmin and WHMCS

Hello,

I have been checking with DirectAdmin. WHMCS has no options for DirectAdmin in the clientarea, it is just a Login to DirectAdmin button.

And is there any way by which we can randomly assign users IP addresses? For example if we have 4 IP addresses in the DirectAdmin server, and we want WHMCS or DirectAdmin to randomly assign IP address to the user when they're created. Or maybe a max. user limit on an IP address like if the first IP exceeds 10 accounts then it will create next accounts into another IP address. In WHMCS we have to set IP address of the DirectAdmin server and it uses that IP address to create the account.

And how is DirectAdmin for Shared Hosting? I have tried and it is pretty good, but how does community see it? They had a lot of development and it works pretty good now. However, installation of Web server or PHP version and other elements takes so much time in DirectAdmin where in cPanel it takes very time. I observed that DirectAdmin downloads the software and make or build it on the server which takes time, whereas in cPanel most of the things are yum based, they just install the package and it takes less time to install compiled software as compared to compiling the whole software on the server.

What do you say about using CloudLinux with DirectAdmin? Is it good to use CloudLinux PHP Selector or DirectAdmin PHP Selector? And how about Imunify360? is it good for DirectAdmin?

What backup solution should be used for DirectAdmin to schedule backups?

I have checked Google but unfortunately there are very less articles or discussions about DirectAdmin, cPanel has a proper set of required softwares which can be installed in very less time, DirectAdmin on the other hand builds everything on the server, it looks a bit odd and old and maybe it is hard to diagnose errors in this situation. DirectAdmin doesn't have full set of softwares required for web hosting, looks like it is mainly for developers.

I would like to know the thoughts of community about DirectAdmin, and above issues, and what issues they have faced with DirectAdmin.

Thanks.

Comments

• DirectAdmin is almost as good as cPanel. The main downside is end-users aren't use to the UI. And the UI takes a bit getting used to, coming from cPanel.

Thanked by 1rsk
  • rskrsk Member, Patron Provider

@josephf said:
    DirectAdmin is almost as good as cPanel. The main downside is end-users aren't use to the UI. And the UI takes a bit getting used to, coming from cPanel.

Exactly this! If it's just you, its not big deal. However, recently, I do see more end users flocking to DA solely for the price of the service alone.

• This just gave me a reality check. Ever since I converted from cpanel to DA in 2020, I never noticed how many custom scripts I've developed to make DA similar or even better than cPanel. If you have time, you should learn PHP as DA's api is full of options for developers. In regards to the PHP Selector, the default DA works fine for switching versions but your users will not be able to enable/disable php extensions. However, you can enable all the important extensions as an admin using custombuild. You can assign random IP's using the API and a custom script. Lastly, Imunify360 works as it should. 1 of my resellers had a ton of issues with his end-user accounts and their wordpress sites. Imunify360 was able to help him identify and clean the infected sites.

• @stephfd21 said:
    This just gave me a reality check. Ever since I converted from cpanel to DA in 2020, I never noticed how many custom scripts I've developed to make DA similar or even better than cPanel. If you have time, you should learn PHP as DA's api is full of options for developers. In regards to the PHP Selector, the default DA works fine for switching versions but your users will not be able to enable/disable php extensions. However, you can enable all the important extensions as an admin using custombuild. You can assign random IP's using the API and a custom script. Lastly, Imunify360 works as it should. 1 of my resellers had a ton of issues with his end-user accounts and their wordpress sites. Imunify360 was able to help him identify and clean the infected sites.

So WHMCS doesn't provides any built-in feature for that? By the way, i think that's pretty easy to do, just modifying the directadmin server files in WHMCS.

Would you like to list any issues you faced with DA?

• LittleCreekLittleCreek Member, Patron Provider

What I don't like is that DA requires a domain in order to create the user. But what I don't like about Cpanel is that it uses a primary domain and puts all the addon domains under that which means you can never delete the primary domain. At least with DA I can still delete the fake domain I used to create the user.

• @LittleCreek said:
    What I don't like is that DA requires a domain in order to create the user. But what I don't like about Cpanel is that it uses a primary domain and puts all the addon domains under that which means you can never delete the primary domain. At least with DA I can still delete the fake domain I used to create the user.

In this regard, DA is the lesser of the two evils, compared to cPanel making it hard to delete the original domain.

• Okay, here's a question:

For example.
    If i have a DA server with primary IP 1.1.1.1 and additional IP address 1.1.1.2 1.1.1.3
    If the hostnames and nameservers points to 1.1.1.1 (primary IP of the server), but we have created an account with the IP address 1.1.1.3

Then setting those nameservers in the domain will make any issue? Like the nameservers points to the primary IP whereas the IP assigned to the account is additional.

or it'll just work like DNS records or will cause any issue?

I haven't tried and never got into such situation, just asking does it works?

• jarjar Patron Provider, Top Host, Veteran

Create 4 reseller accounts, give each reseller a dedicated IP, add them to WHMCS as 4 different servers, configure provisioning logic as desired.

Thanked by 1adilolv
  • Does websites works a bit faster on DirectAdmin as compared to cPanel? I have observed this and also found some answers related to this which are claiming the same. Is it true?

• AndreixAndreix Member, Host Rep

Is kinda irrelevant if optimal resources remain available, in relation to what your APP need.

• Paid DirectAdmin extended Addon module is available if you are not satisfied with official module.

• @josephf said:
    DirectAdmin is almost as good as cPanel. The main downside is end-users aren't use to the UI. And the UI takes a bit getting used to, coming from cPanel.

I had an easier time switching to DirectAdmin with the icon grid theme