Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Managed Dedicated server provider limits
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Managed Dedicated server provider limits

Hello,

My Managed Dedicated server provider does not allow HetrixTools for some reason at our servers.
Do you have any idea why they don't allow that?

Whenever I ask them about that, I don't receive any response.

Regards

Comments

• FlorinMarianFlorinMarian Member, Host Rep

Hey!
    I don't know about your provider, but I can tell you my personal opinion after I proudly displayed the uptime on the front page of our website, that it is a big pain for providers.
    Downtimes are identified with a lag of a few minutes (at least 5) and the return is the same.
    For a 3-minute timed reboot, you lose about 10 minutes of SLA just for the simple reason that this product is poorly designed.
    Then, 3 days ago I had a situation in the evening when I woke up with many emails as if all the servers were down while the respective IP addresses were responding to the ping on check-host.net
    Therefore, I do not recommend installing this tool if you are looking for accuracy, but it may be ok only for those emails that come from them, even with a delay because something in your infrastructure has failed.

• Thanks!

HetrixTools if also good because it monitor server resources.
    Uptime robot for example monitor only uptime.

Regards

• Daniel15Daniel15 Veteran
    edited December 2023

@Outdoor said: HetrixTools if also good because it monitor server resources.

In my opinion, Netdata is better for this use case. It updates its metrics every second so it's useful for catching issues that don't persist for long (e.g. apps that sporadically use 100% CPU for 10 seconds).

• The hetrixtools "agent has not send any data in X minutes" is sometimes buggy, and should not be used as an uptime monitor.

But the resource monitor of the agent is great, and I can't think of any reason why the provider wouldn't let you install it... Or just install it, is your server :sweat_smile:

• ThracianDogThracianDog Member
    edited December 2023

@JoseDieguez said:
    ... Or just install it, is your server :sweat_smile:

I agree lol.

• I dont have premission to install it, also my premissions dont even allow me to run yabs.

• BasToTheMaxBasToTheMax Member, Host Rep

@Outdoor said:
    I dont have premission to install it, also my premissions dont even allow me to run yabs.

💀