Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What causes very low disk iops and very high cpu load average?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

What causes very low disk iops and very high cpu load average?

I purchased the "Kaya VDS X16" from a Turkish hosting company named @Rabisu on September 20th. In the following months, my VDS was very stable and relatively fast (my VDS uses NVME).

However, this month my VDS has experienced a drastic decrease in disk IOPS and very high CPU usage.

here is the htop

I opened a support ticket on December 5th, but there has been no response yet.
What should i do?

Comments

• such a big speed difference is only possible by limiting disk speed.

• @hresser said:
    such a big speed difference is only possible by limiting disk speed.

I think so, but support hasn't replied to my ticket

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

Option A
    NVME wear-out -> low iops -> high cpu usage as the os is struggling with the data in and out to the storage.

Option B
    For the moment your VPS is on a HDD raid 5/6 array with a ton of people, because option A happened.

Option C

@hresser or abuser on that node.

Thanked by 10xricoard
  • @host_c said:
    Option A
    NVME wear-out -> low iops -> high cpu usage as the os is struggling with the data in and out to the storage.

Option B
    For the moment your VPS is on a HDD raid 5/6 array with a ton of people, because option A happened.

Option C

well can you confirm this? @Rabisu and also answer my ticket

• RabisuRabisu Member, Patron Provider

Hello,

I have created a notification for the technical support team to quickly deal with the issue, we will resolve it as soon as possible.

Thanks.> @0xricoard said:

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

• PineappleMPineappleM Member
    edited December 2023

@Rabisu said:

Hello,

I have created a notification for the technical support team to quickly deal with the issue, we will resolve it as soon as possible.

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

I think what I'm more interested in knowing is why did nobody on your support team reply to his ticket from 3 days ago, not even as an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem? Yet the OP posting on LET got a reply and an escalation in 14 hours.

Thanked by 2dedotatedwam chitree
  • @PineappleM said:

@Rabisu said:

Hello,

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

I think what I'm more interested in knowing is why did nobody on your support team reply to his ticket from 3 days ago, not even as an acknowledgement that they are aware of the problem? Yet the OP posting on LET got a reply and an escalation in 14 hours.

the power of LowEndTalk 😆

@PineappleM said:

@Rabisu said:

Hello,

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

Hello, the support team and Sales teams consist of different people, the response time between the two teams varies depending on the density, but support requests must be resolved within 48 hours at the latest, so I created a request to the upper level.

• @Rabisu said:

@PineappleM said:

@Rabisu said:

Hello,

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

Hello, the support team and Sales teams consist of different people, the response time between the two teams varies depending on the density, but support requests must be resolved within 48 hours at the latest, so I created a request to the upper level.

i hope my problem is solved by Monday

• HostSlickHostSlick Member, Patron Provider

Not many posiblities.

• Node has many abusers on it
    • Node is too oversold;
      - RAM used up -> OS will use other like Swap/Storage as RAM which is causing a high R/W and cause huge slow down. Including high i/o wait.
      - Too many r/w activity due to full/oversold node

• One of disk in raid array is causing bottleneck (eventally failed)

Thanked by 30xricoard host_c 0xC7
  • gdhnocgdhnoc Member
    edited December 2023

If its is a VPS notmally this happen due to overlaoded host node. Check your DISK IO usage

• @gdhnoc said:
    If its is a VPS notmally this happen due to overlaoded host naode.

it's a VDS

• @0xricoard said:

@gdhnoc said:

it's a VDS

Most VDS still share IOPS with others on the same node

• @0xricoard said:

@gdhnoc said:

it's a VDS

There is no such think "VDS". Its just a marketing trick. Its also a VPS which can be effected by the other VPS on the same node.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • 0xricoard0xricoard Member
    edited December 2023

@0xricoard said:

@PineappleM said:

@Rabisu said:

Hello,

@host_c said:
    Option A

Option B

Option C

the power of LowEndTalk 😆

Hasn't it been fixed yet? Sigh, even running the 'apt update' command takes 1-5 minutes :/ . what's going on?

• Your waiting times have been doubled.

Thanked by 2kashon BasToTheMax
  • @Rabisu answer ticket #118972

• @0xricoard bad practice to run everything as the root user

• @chitree said:
    @0xricoard bad practice to run everything as the root user

doesn't change the fact that my disk and cpu speed is dropping

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker
    edited December 2023

@gdhnoc said:

@0xricoard said:

@gdhnoc said:

it's a VDS

There is no such think "VDS". Its just a marketing trick. Its also a VPS which can be effected by the other VPS on the same node.

That's BS! The problem is that many don't understand what is dedicated. It's the vCPU - but usually not the rest; that still is shared.

Another problem lies in the fact that very often the node has just one or two drives (or arrays), which leads to every VPS/VDS getting lower disk speed when more VMs get added to the node. THAT imo is a major - and usually ignored or unknown - problem with, in particular cheap, VPS/VDS.

@0xricoard

For a start, it makes no sense to arbitrarily putting Windows and fio results next to each other.

As for your problem I have a suspicion: I guess that multiple problems came together, (a) high node population (to put it politely), plus (b) a failed Raid that is being rebuilt.

Let me put it like this: I had good reasons to rather go with @awmbilisim ... one of them being that I get support responses a lot faster (usually < 1 hour).

• @jsg said:

@gdhnoc said:

@0xricoard said:

@gdhnoc said:

it's a VDS

That's BS! The problem is that many don't understand what is dedicated. It's the vCPU - but usually not the rest; that still is shared.

Another problem lies in the fact that very often the node has just one or two drives (or arrays), which leads to every VPS/VDS getting lower disk speed when more VMs get added to the node. THAT imo is a major - and usually ignored or unknown - problem with, in particular cheap, VPS/VDS.

@0xricoard

For a start, it makes no sense to arbitrarily putting Windows and fio results next to each other.

As for your problem I have a suspicion: I guess that multiple problems came together, (a) high node population (to put it politely), plus (b) a failed Raid that is being rebuilt.

Let me put it like this: I had good reasons to rather go with @awmbilisim ... one of them being that I get support responses a lot faster (usually < 1 hour).

yeah maybe, but the support team hasn't explained what happened, my ticket still hasn't been answered

• @repuc & @Rabisu why y'all have so many problems

@0xricoard said:
    @repuc & @Rabisu why y'all have so many problems

Hello, has your problem been resolved?

• @Rabisu said:

@0xricoard said:
    @repuc & @Rabisu why y'all have so many problems

Hello, has your problem been resolved?

no, please take a look ticket #118972

• Last time I have had this problem on my own server, an other VM on the same node (which I fully own) was hacked due to an exploit that I wasn’t aware of. There was a crypto miner malware running on it.

• @DennisdeWit said:
    Last time I have had this problem on my own server, an other VM on the same node (which I fully own) was hacked due to an exploit that I wasn’t aware of. There was a crypto miner malware running on it.

there are no exploit or hack etc, i have double checked.