Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Computer problems
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

New Computer problems

woltersstefwoltersstef Member
edited December 2023 in Help

Hello,

I have a problem with my computer. I built the computer myself, and every time I start a game like FiveM or Fortnite, there's a chance I get a blue screen. 80% of the time, I experience a crash, and occasionally, I can start and play without issues, but once it's up and running, it doesn't crash anymore. Fortnite crashes only with DirectX 12 or DirectX 11, but if I set it to low performance, I can play without issues. When I use the computer for regular tasks and not for gaming, it works fine, and I don't get blue screens.

Computer Specifications:
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. Z790 AORUS ELITE AX (U3E1)
Graphics Card: 4089MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti (ASUStek Computer Inc) ( showed in speccy)
Storage: 1863GB Samsung SSD 980 PRO 2TB
CPU: Intel Core i9 14900KF
RAM: Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB 2x16GB 6000 memory modules
Power Supply: Corsair RM850x PSU

Monitors (these are also new):
1st Monitor: Samsung C24F390 60Hz
2nd Monitor: Samsung C24F390 60Hz
3rd Monitor: Samsung Odyssey G7 4K 140Hz

Things I've already tried:

• Updating all drivers.
  • Updating the motherboard BIOS (latest version is installed).
  • Checking the computer cables.
  • Purchasing a power meter and connecting my computer to it to monitor power usage. In -normal use, it consumes 150-200 watts, and when I start Fortnite, it goes up to around 500 watts.
  • Reinstalling Windows 11 and then not installing any drivers except for the video card to see if I still experience crashes (it still crashes with a blue screen).
  • Checking the dxdiag log, but I didn't find anything unusual. I can include the log if needed.
  • Manually installing video card drivers.

In summary, the computer works fine under normal conditions like browsing the web, but when I start a game, there's an 80% chance of getting a blue screen or the game crashing. Some games don't seem to have this issue, like City Skylines 2 (so far). Does anyone have any idea what might be causing this, or any suggestions for things I can try?

dxdiag: https:mc-node.net/dxdiag.txt

Point of attention: With my 4K screen, when I start up my computer, the motherboard logo flashes. If I disconnect the screen and use my normal screen, it does not flash, but I still have crashes. (the entire screen then flashes until Windows loads, then it works properly again)

Comments

• jsgjsg Member, Resident Benchmarker

With Windows I can't help but I can tell you what my suspects in hardware are: power supply (unlikely but check whether all cables are properly seated) and heat or in other words inadequate ventilation. What I'd also try if I had another graphics card around was to check whether the problem also shows with that other (presumably less powerful and power-consuming) card.

Maybe also something to do with Windows and graphics card, but that's territory I can't give advice and won't try to do.

Btw your link leads to a site that doesn't show your dxdiag screen but some marketing/sales trickery/trap. Bad move, drives away people who would be willing to help you! But, oh well, Windows and Apple people tick differently it seems ...

• 4089MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti??

• cybertechcybertech Member
    edited December 2023

i would check ram

edit: no maybe it's PSU / GPU related

• @jsg said:
    With Windows I can't help but I can tell you what my suspects in hardware are: power supply (unlikely but check whether all cables are properly seated) and heat or in other words inadequate ventilation. What I'd also try if I had another graphics card around was to check whether the problem also shows with that other (presumably less powerful and power-consuming) card.

Maybe also something to do with Windows and graphics card, but that's territory I can't give advice and won't try to do.

Btw your link leads to a site that doesn't show your dxdiag screen but some marketing/sales trickery/trap. Bad move, drives away people who would be willing to help you! But, oh well, Windows and Apple people tick differently it seems ...

I have now put it on a site, you should be able to see it now.

https:mc-node.net/dxdiag.txt

Temperature is good CPU is around 70/80 degrees and video card 40-45 degrees when playing games. (includes water cooling with 3 fans and 3 separate fans, so a total of 6 fans.)

• @niranjan said:
    4089MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti??

That's what speccy showed in my task manager it just says 12G

• SinVSinV Member, Host Rep

What's the bluescreen error? And can you upload the memory dump file, usually located in C:\Windows\memory. dmp.

• See photo for the blue screen and include a link to the DMP.

https://mc-node.net/120623-9437-01.dmp

• Try to replace DDR5.

Better to use older MB and DDR4 models.

Can't open the dmp file, it might be incomplete. Run Windows memory diagnostic tool or Memtest86+ and report back what it says.

You should also open Powershell and fix and file corruption.
    Run: sfc /scannow
    And then: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

• @woltersstef said: Corsair DDR5 Vengeance RGB 2x16GB 6000 memory modules

Try running with one DDR5 module in each slot separately and see what changes. And then change it to another one in a each slot.

If both time with each one in slot everything crashes try to replace for new ones.

Yeah, it's likely the RAM. A memory test will confirm, and most brands have a lifetime warranty, and if it's a kit, you'll have to RMA both memory modules. From my experience, they'll probably want you to use Memtest86 info to create an RMA request.

• host_chost_c Member, Patron Provider

HY

as others have wrote, try with 1 module ram, do a bios update of the MB, and try setting the MHZ of memory to a value as low as possible

Looks like a incompatibility issue with the memory.

edited December 2023

Oh yeah, instability if it's running at 6000 with large modules, for DDR5 try 4800 or 5600, and DDR4 3200.

• @host_c said: do a bios update of the MB

@woltersstef said: Things I've already tried: > Updating the motherboard BIOS (latest version is installed

• jenkkijenkki Member
    edited December 2023

@SinSiXX said: if it's running at 6000 with large modules

Many people manually set the highest frequencies in the BIOS.

He should try to set these settings to AUTO or try to reduce the frequency to the previous values.

• @woltersstef said:

@niranjan said:
    4089MB NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4070 Ti??

That's what speccy showed in my task manager it just says 12G

84% usuage? Did you take this screenshot while gaming? Or performing GPU intensive task?

• Watchdog errors are usually hardware related. Try reseating your hardware. https://makeuseof.com/fix-clock-watchdog-timeout-error-windows/

Veel succes, hopelijk krijg je het snel in orde ;)