Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Black Friday Shopping Experience with ChicagoVPS
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

A Black Friday Shopping Experience with ChicagoVPS

On November 23, 2023, during Black Friday, I decided to purchase a VPS located in Los Angeles to meet both personal and business needs. After careful comparison, I chose ChicagoVPS and paid $9 using my PayPal balance. According to the merchant's instructions, the VPS should be automatically set up within a few minutes (https://billing.chicagovps.net/index.php?rp=/knowledgebase/80/KVM-VPS-Setup-Time.html). However, after 12 hours, I still couldn't see the VPS instance I was expecting.

Following the merchant's process, I initiated a refund request. Shortly after, customer service responded and set up a VPS. However, to my surprise, it wasn't the Los Angeles VPS I purchased but an instance located in Buffalo, New York.

Faced with this situation, my dissatisfaction and frustration intensified. The customer service's handling was clearly not in line with reasonable communication and issue resolution standards. What was even more disappointing was the lack of any prior notification or explanation. To safeguard my rights, I firmly insisted on a refund of the $9 purchase cost to my PayPal account. The ticket was transferred to the billing department, but days passed without any refund notification. I felt extremely disappointed with the prolonged resolution process for an issue that should have been swiftly addressed.

After a long wait, I decided to take more direct measures. I initiated a dispute with PayPal and filed a complaint with the BBB (Better Business Bureau). Nearly half a month later, on December 5, 2023, I finally received a refund notification from PayPal.

Upon receiving the refund notification, I attempted to log into the ChicagoVPS system to submit a ticket requesting account closure, only to find that the account had already been disabled (Login Details Incorrect. Please try again.).

This shopping experience made me deeply aware that some online transactions may not go smoothly. Although I ultimately obtained a refund, the entire process consumed a significant amount of time and effort. By sharing this experience, I hope to draw attention to the importance of service quality and communication for businesses and remind other consumers to remain vigilant when making online purchases.

20231204165011.png

Comments

• are you mjj?

• @jasonxu said:
    are you mjj?

Keen Insight

• @wills said:

@jasonxu said:
    are you mjj?

Keen Insight

i saw you on the nodeseek

• @jasonxu said:

@wills said:

@jasonxu said:
    are you mjj?

Keen Insight

i saw you on the nodeseek

What you saw is right

• chill out mate, idk its a little bit overreacted with $9.

Thanked by 1assimon
  • Support you to use legal channels and methods to protect your own rights and interests. No matter how much money you spend, you must get pre-committed services. For those merchants who cannot provide corresponding services as promised, Paypal protects our legitimate rights and interests.

• I have also purchased their VPS, and the service is extremely poor. Moreover, I ordered the service in the Los Angeles region, but they provided me with a server located in New York. It took them a week to finally migrate it for me, and after the migration, the 4k read/write speed of the hard drive is only around 10MB/s, even worse than my USB drive. Additionally, there are frequent occurrences of sudden network connection issues, with speeds dropping to single digits. I tested the speed at different times throughout the day, and it is consistently terrible.

Furthermore, there was no notification when they migrated the machine or made changes to the configuration, and my data was deleted without any warning. I submitted a support ticket regarding these issues, but they have not responded to me. I am now considering filing a formal complaint against their services.

• Thank you chatgpt!!

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • @Xiaoming said:
    chill out mate, idk its a little bit overreacted with $9.

Maybe you should give him $9 or shut your mouth

• @plumberg said:
    Thank you chatgpt!!

Yes, thanks to ChatGPT. This was written in my native language and then translated using ChatGPT.

Thanked by 1plumberg
  • @agile said:
    Support you to use legal channels and methods to protect your own rights and interests. No matter how much money you spend, you must get pre-committed services. For those merchants who cannot provide corresponding services as promised, Paypal protects our legitimate rights and interests.

You're right

• @rui said:
    I have also purchased their VPS, and the service is extremely poor. Moreover, I ordered the service in the Los Angeles region, but they provided me with a server located in New York. It took them a week to finally migrate it for me, and after the migration, the 4k read/write speed of the hard drive is only around 10MB/s, even worse than my USB drive. Additionally, there are frequent occurrences of sudden network connection issues, with speeds dropping to single digits. I tested the speed at different times throughout the day, and it is consistently terrible.

Furthermore, there was no notification when they migrated the machine or made changes to the configuration, and my data was deleted without any warning. I submitted a support ticket regarding these issues, but they have not responded to me. I am now considering filing a formal complaint against their services.

Sympathize with each other

• @agile said:

@Xiaoming said:

Don't be angry; even foolish people have the right to express their opinions. We ourselves are advocating for rights, so why should we deny others the same right?

• @agile said:

@Xiaoming said:

I wish I could, but I don't want to

• Unwise to use chargeback for 9USD service, and they admit they made a mistake and move it to your desire location, and I believe they already point out sales services are not refundable...

• @seoky said:
    Unwise to use chargeback for 9USD service, and they admit they made a mistake and move it to your desire location, and I believe they already point out sales services are not refundable...

If they had provided normal services, I certainly wouldn't have needed to request a refund. However, there were delays in setting up instances and errors in region settings. The repeated mistakes have caused me to lose confidence in them.

• sycotsycot Member
    edited December 2023

I think that's the risk you take when you purchase a non-refundable promotion service. the keyword is "non-refundable" not "non-refundable except when the provider takes too long to provision my service or provisions it in the wrong location."

anyway it's a pretty big stink to make over $9 USD

• @sycot said:
    I think that's the risk you take when you purchase a non-refundable promotion service. the keyword is "non-refundable" not "non-refundable except when the provider takes too long to provision my service or provisions it in the wrong location."

When good luck befalls you, I hope you still keep this thought

• this is perfect example of classic MJJ

Thanked by 1ariq01
  • It is evident that in the service ticket, the merchant has acknowledged the error and plans to relocate you to Los Angeles. Why would you refuse? Isn't this a more reasonable resolution than disputing through PayPal? I can only assume that you unilaterally seek a refund. Unless you explain why you reject the customer service proposal, do VPS deployment procedures not have the potential for errors? Could you not be mistakenly placed in a different region? Resorting to dispute abuse seems like an indiscriminate means to secure a refund.

• @sycot said:

"I think what you're saying doesn't make sense. According to your logic, if you pay a merchant and they don't give you anything, you wouldn't request a refund? Just because it says 'no refund,' it doesn't explicitly state 'no refund if the merchant doesn't deliver'? I believe 'no refund' implies the initial expectation of a proper transaction from the seller."
    "I don't know English, using a translation program. Not sure if it makes sense to you.

Thanked by 1wills
  • "All VPS providers should learn from netcup, OVH, and crunchbits."

• i m using chicagovps from last 2 years i did not found any issues and i did not used them for any support because vps is un managed and network and hardware uptime is decent.

overall chicagovps / colocrossing is providing best products with low price and one more thing they are a reliable datacenter not a flyby night company started by kids

currenty got 1 dedicated server from colocrossing in their blackfriday sales and so far so good
    also got 2 vps from chicago vps already in their black friday sale

Thanked by 1wills
  • @diwakerd said:
    i m using chicagovps from last 2 years i did not found any issues and i did not used them for any support because vps is un managed and network and hardware uptime is decent.

overall chicagovps / colocrossing is providing best products with low price and one more thing they are a reliable datacenter not a flyby night company started by kids

currenty got 1 dedicated server from colocrossing in their blackfriday sales and so far so good
    also got 2 vps from chicago vps already in their black friday sale

Yes, I also believe that ChicagoVPS is a reliable vendor, and my situation may be an exception.

Initially, I was eagerly anticipating receiving my first Los Angeles VPS from ChicagoVPS, but I ended up waiting for over 12 hours. I submitted a ticket explaining the issue and requesting a refund, but they once again set up a VPS with the wrong location. This has completely eroded my trust. No one can guarantee that there won't be similar inexplicable issues in the future.

• @cybertech said:
    this is perfect example of classic MJJ

perfect

• @chenjia said:
    It is evident that in the service ticket, the merchant has acknowledged the error and plans to relocate you to Los Angeles. Why would you refuse? Isn't this a more reasonable resolution than disputing through PayPal? I can only assume that you unilaterally seek a refund. Unless you explain why you reject the customer service proposal, do VPS deployment procedures not have the potential for errors? Could you not be mistakenly placed in a different region? Resorting to dispute abuse seems like an indiscriminate means to secure a refund.

Okay, I'll answer your questions:

Firstly, which statement from the merchant indicates they recognize their mistake, saying something like "Sorry, due to our error"?

Secondly, did the merchant express the possibility of replacing the Los Angeles VPS because they acknowledged the mistake or because I requested a refund?

Why did I reject the merchant's offer to replace the VPS? Could you please answer, if a stranger repeatedly makes mistakes, would you continue to trust them?

Won't VPS instances be set incorrectly? Won't they be placed in the wrong region? From what I know, the accuracy of programs is higher than human error, unless there's an error in the settings. Also, am I an isolated case in this region setting error?

Due to the merchant's continuous breaches, do I not have the right to request a refund? If we follow the merchant's terms, how are consumer rights protected?

You've consistently emphasized the abuse of the dispute resolution right. Please look at the ticket context – how long did I communicate? How long did the merchant delay the refund? In this situation, shouldn't I use legitimate channels to safeguard my rights?

• @chenjia said:
    It is evident that in the service ticket, the merchant has acknowledged the error and plans to relocate you to Los Angeles. Why would you refuse? Isn't this a more reasonable resolution than disputing through PayPal? I can only assume that you unilaterally seek a refund. Unless you explain why you reject the customer service proposal, do VPS deployment procedures not have the potential for errors? Could you not be mistakenly placed in a different region? Resorting to dispute abuse seems like an indiscriminate means to secure a refund.

Merchants default first, why consumers must abide by the service terms, disputes are reasonable.Nothing is easier than fault-finding.

• is chicagovps sub-brand of colocrossing?

• @JasonM said:
    is chicagovps sub-brand of colocrossing?

yes chicagovps , hudsonvalley host belongs to colocrossing and colocrossing belong to hostpapa

• @JasonM said:
    is chicagovps sub-brand of colocrossing?

Yes. I also think it's sort of funny that someone would go to a company named CHICAGOvps to get a VM in Los Angeles.

Thanked by 1bench