Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting server business
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Starting server business

d13xard13xar Member
edited December 2023 in General

Good night everyone,

Thank you for your time before reading my question.
So I'm in Indonesia, planning to build a home server.

I want to rent the unused server, as far as i know, any dedicated or vps is much expensive in indonesia / singapore, but i would like to know globally for how much this will be (as low as possible in any country)

1. Cisco UCS 210
  • 96GB DDR3 ECC
  • 2x Xeon x5675
  • 1x SSD 128gb + 6x 130GB SAS
  1. HP Proliant DL 180 G6
  • 96GB DDR3 ECC
  • 2x Xeon x5650
  • 1x SSD 128GB + 1x 1TB HDD

Internet is upto 100mbps with no static ipv4, adding 1 static ipv4 is about $15,
I've do some calculation, electricity is about $20 a month per server, the internet is $30.

How do you guys think this will be worth ?
Thank you again.

Comments

• Yes! Please make it in your balcony. You know, for cooling and stuff.

Thanked by 1sasslik
  • Thanks for the suggestion, my room is quite cooler than the one datacenter in jakarta i have visited.

• I can't think of anyone who would rent this except your friends.
    But I don't know the local market....so maybe.
    With a 100mbit connection, you won't be able to sell many servers.
    So absolutely not profitable.
    If you want a server at home, get a raspberry or another sbc

• Maybe instead of server business, you can use it to make a hosting business. Build websites for your local small businesses and then charge a small monthly fee to host it on your platform. Just make sure you keep good backups, learn 3-2-1 backup system... I think this will be most feasible possibility for you to build a profitable small host business.

Thanked by 1Erisa
  • @LTniger said:
    Yes! Please make it in your balcony. You know, for cooling and stuff.

How does that rank with respect to basement hosting, above or below?

• @davide said:

@LTniger said:

Aside. As balconies are attached to the building side. Completely eco cooling solution.

• dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

@d13xar said: 2x Xeon x5650

Those CPUs are very old. You should look for at least E5-2xxx v2.
    The connection speed will make you problems as well.

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • @remy said:
    I can't think of anyone who would rent this except your friends.

i see, so i need to increase my bandwith, noted.

@thane said:
    Maybe instead of server business, you can use it to make a hosting business. Build websites for your local small businesses and then charge a small monthly fee to host it on your platform. Just make sure you keep good backups, learn 3-2-1 backup system... I think this will be most feasible possibility for you to build a profitable small host business.

this is make sense, i may want to selling vps perhaps, with ratio :

1. $1
    • 2vcpu
    • 4gb ram
    • 10gb disk
    • 10mb unmetered bandwith

I actually not looking for profitable, just want to try out first, have some customer, rather than laying those server on my rack.

now the problem is ipv4, since i only have dynamic ip, i need to figure it out.

@dapavn said:

i will in the future, thanks for your suggestion.

• @LTniger said:

@davide said:

@LTniger said:

Aside. As balconies are attached to the building side. Completely eco cooling solution.

Fridays for Future or other climate activits could be a group of interest for him

"ECO BALCONY HOSTING LTD"

• @d13xar said:

@remy said:
    I can't think of anyone who would rent this except your friends.

i see, so i need to increase my bandwith, noted.

@thane said:
    Maybe instead of server business, you can use it to make a hosting business. Build websites for your local small businesses and then charge a small monthly fee to host it on your platform. Just make sure you keep good backups, learn 3-2-1 backup system... I think this will be most feasible possibility for you to build a profitable small host business.

this is make sense, i may want to selling vps perhaps, with ratio :

1. $1
    • 2vcpu
    • 4gb ram
    • 10gb disk
    • 10mb unmetered bandwith

I actually not looking for profitable, just want to try out first, have some customer, rather than laying those server on my rack.

now the problem is ipv4, since i only have dynamic ip, i need to figure it out.

@dapavn said:

i will in the future, thanks for your suggestion.

What kind of people/group should become your customers?
    Ive checked some hosting providers in your country, they all provide way more professional hosting. How will you compete?

• I think there's some services that will let you route and sync static IPs with your home IP network. Might be incredibly expensive tho... BTW, since you will be doing this on your home Internet you should check your ISP terms and conditions. In America most ISP prohibit running websites on your home internet service. Also, consider the implications of allowing access to your home internet and storage device to strangers on the Internet for $1. You might end up getting your door kicked down by the police soon, due to actions of your customers using your computer and your internet...

• davidedavide Member
    edited December 2023

Do you have future plans to upgrade all your server cooling fans to aluminum dual ball bearing? Low-end VPS customers look for this kind of attention to detail. The placement of the servers is not that important instead, can be in the wardrobe, the open street, or the pig house if you have one. Just be sure that lint and pig hairs don't get into the aluminum fans. Lots of suggestions about such arrangements are at the fingertips here from our wonderful community.

I've had an aluminum fan for 10 years running 24/7, my head spins thinking around and about how many revolutions that amounts to. Yet perhaps aluminum is overrated beside overpriced, because I've also had plastic sleeve bearing fans for 20 years that are still spinning right now.

Mind boggling.

Thanked by 1raza19
  • @thane said: BTW, since you will be doing this on your home Internet you should check your ISP terms and conditions.

this will be fine.

@thane said: due to actions of your customers using your computer and your internet...

maybe with some tos like i dont own the server so whatever is it, responsibility in the cust?

@davide said: Do you have future plans

@gbzret4d said: What kind of people/group should become your customers?

for now nope, just want to try out, so i've some real experience maintaining server. can be + for my portfolio huh ?

• Also thank you guys for all of the recommendations, as always people in let have some good answer, cheers ;)

• edited December 2023

@dapavn said:

Exactly. I don't know why anyone would go for anything older. Even 2697v2 is like what? $30 from China? The "smaller" E5s aren't probably that expensive as v3/v4 anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185653733415 + $200 RAM upgrade to 768GB will pretty much build you your own local recup ;)

I'd get a cheaper server though ~70€ should be enough to get some E5 v2 server without CPU/RAM.

• I would urge you to check your local laws. In most places "ignorance of the law" is not a valid excuse. You very may well be held fully responsible for the actions of your customers on your computer and network. In America we would form a corporation to act as the legal shield separating owners from the business (which is only partially correct, owners can and do get arrested for fraud and other crimes all the time).

Protect yourself by educating yourself, that's all I'm saying. Hope you have success in your venture :)

• edited December 2023

@thane said:
    In most places "ignorance of the law" is not a valid excuse.

Is there any places where this isn't the case? I'd so move there. First action: Get an alzheimer diagnose. "No, i did not know i need to pay taxes." "We are telling you for 7th time!!@!!!#@!@!!" And they couldn't do shit about it :D

Getting IPs wouldn't be that hard. He could just get a VPS somewhere, attach additional IPs and route them through a VPN. With something like only 10 or 100mbit uplink this would be no problem.

As for legal problems i agree that he should at least make triple sure that he'll be seen as a provider in front of the law. Not worth the possible hassle if things go wrong and he has to spend a ton of time explaining his situation until someone believes him.

• @totally_not_banned said:

@thane said:
    In most places "ignorance of the law" is not a valid excuse.

Is there any places where this isn't the case? I'd so move there. First action: Get an alzheimer diagnose. "No, i did not know i need to pay taxes." "We are telling you for 7th time!!@!!!#@!@!!" And they couldn't do shit about it :D

Getting IPs wouldn't be that hard. He could just get a VPS somewhere, attach additional IPs and route them through a VPN. With something like only 10 or 100mbit uplink this would be no problem.

As for legal problems i agree that he should at least make triple sure that he'll be seen as a provider in front of the law. Not worth the possible hassle if things go wrong and he has to spend a ton of time explaining his situation until someone believes him.

Lol... Hmmm. Yes I think there's lots of places where ignorance of the law is an okay excuse. Unfortunately you have to be wealthy or famous to take advantage of the loophole :'(

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • You also have to factor in the fact that the hardware sometimes breaks. What are you going to do then? That's more money that you have to spend to keep things moving.

In all the honesty I'd just start reselling something close to your region and supporting your customers instead. If you earn some, you can put that money into your own hardware. If you don't earn money, you atleast learned something :)

Thanked by 1YD4NG3R
  • dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

@totally_not_banned said:

@dapavn said:

Exactly. I don't know why anyone would go for anything older. Even 2697v2 is like what? $30 from China? The "smaller" E5s aren't probably that expensive as v3/v4 anymore.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/185653733415 + $200 RAM upgrade to 768GB will pretty much build you your own local recup ;)

I'd get a cheaper server though ~70€ should be enough to get some E5 v2 server without CPU/RAM.

Yeah, you're right! That server from eBay is really cheap, lol :)

• https://www.somagu.com/

I believe this guy started hosting in his Dad's house. South Korea isn't sweltering hot like Indonesia can be tho.

Thanked by 1WhiteRoseG
  • raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@d13xar said: i see, so i need to increase my bandwith, noted.

You need to put your server in a datacenter otherwise this is a joke.

• @raindog308 said:

Does that make @FlorinMarian a joke? Actually on second thought, maybe don't answer that :lol:

• yasmeenyasmeen Member
    edited December 2023

@fluffernutter said:

@raindog308 said:

Does that make @FlorinMarian a joke? Actually on second thought, maybe don't answer that :lol:

@Calin, get in here. Show them who is the boss of Romanian hosting scene.

• raindog308raindog308 Administrator, Veteran

@fluffernutter said:

@raindog308 said:

This guy seems light years away from @FlorinMarian

• @LTniger said:

@davide said:

@LTniger said:

Surprised nobody suggested Solar Panels to make it even more eco friendly.

• @Crab said:
    You also have to factor in the fact that the hardware sometimes breaks. What are you going to do then? That's more money that you have to spend to keep things moving.

In all the honesty I'd just start reselling something close to your region and supporting your customers instead. If you earn some, you can put that money into your own hardware. If you don't earn money, you atleast learned something :)

yeah thats what i thought, at least i learn about management server.

@MarkoVCR said:
    https://www.somagu.com/

I believe this guy started hosting in his Dad's house. South Korea isn't sweltering hot like Indonesia can be tho.

nice info for reference.

@raindog308 said:

well, since it was old hardware and i really just want to starting business in this area, selling this vps to friends, or small web hosting might be great idea, but yea hope someday i reach there.

and thank you everyone who coming here, i really appreciate it.