Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VPN Server Specs
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

VPN Server Specs

tommycsjtommycsj Member
edited December 2023 in General

Hey guys, anyone here run their own VPNs? And know what spec works best on servers. Or server providers who have their servers used on VPN services? Im looking for servers to add to my VPN network. Also, absolutely must be unmetered traffic

Comments

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

You don't need much resources for private VPN. For public all depends on your actual usage

• This will be public mate, in testing right now, and I'm expecting at least 500 subscribers in the next 6 months (got a customer base from another project and will tie this in). I know many people (including me) have a monthly VPN subscription but rarely use it, but I'd like to be prepared for all eventualites.

• For commercial services, OVPN blog is a useful reference.
    However, many micro services use VPS as public VPN servers and don't really seem to care much about traffic.
    Basically, it has to be a dedicated server and an understanding supplier.

• @srvjap said:
    For commercial services, OVPN blog is a useful reference.
    However, many micro services use VPS as public VPN servers and don't really seem to care much about traffic.
    Basically, it has to be a dedicated server and an understanding supplier.

Have you any experience in doing this before mate? Would love any and all advice/feedback/suggestions I can get

• @tommycsj said: Or server providers who have their servers used on VPN services?

Many VPN providers uses Oneprovider. They allow shared VPN.

Or use hosts from Eastern Europe they didn't cares about VPN.

• @tommycsj said: And know what spec works best on servers

Depends on the number of users and their required bandwidth and traffic.
    It's easy to setup almost any VPN/Proxy protocol on a $1/month VPS even (1core-1GB). People even do that on Nat services these days.

• dapavndapavn Member, Patron Provider

@tommycsj said:
    Hey guys, anyone here run their own VPNs? And know what spec works best on servers. Or server providers who have their servers used on VPN services? Im looking for servers to add to my VPN network. Also, absolutely must be unmetered traffic

You could run on 512M of ram or even less, just that the latest OS version might ask for more RAM. 1GB of RAM should be enough.
    The most important is the bandwidth and the internet connection. And, of course, a clean IP.

• tentortentor Member, Patron Provider

@dapavn said: You could run on 512M of ram or even less, just that the latest OS version might ask for more RAM. 1GB of RAM should be enough.

Connection tracking is pretty heavy