Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oracle Free Tier Experience - What location is best?
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Oracle Free Tier Experience - What location is best?

huntercophuntercop Member
edited December 2023 in Providers

Hey all,

I plan to try Oracle free tier. I hear you can only pick your region for the servers once. Any recommendations on which region is best?

I see in the US, Ashburn, Chicago and Phoenix have extra resources compared to others.
https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/General/Concepts/regions.htm

Best defined by best availability, less likely to be reclaimed by oracle, reliable and no issues. Feel free to share anything else one should look out for. Plan to use this to test stuff. Not production.

Also if you can only create two block volumes for storage. Does that mean you can only create two VPS’? Curious if one could divide resources and have 2 AMD and 4 AMP at once.

Thanks

Comments

• singapore, japan are always unavailable, you could try us east/west or middle east. Then again if you manage to get an instance, you'll most likely be suspended without oracle citing any reason.

Not worth the pain IMO, spend few bucks get an yearly vm.

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

The best locations are usually out of stock and full with people using scripts to grab one.
    But best of luck.

• Hyderabad is good. I haven't faced any issues so far. Solid uptime of over 2 years.

• @nikozin said:
    singapore, japan are always unavailable, you could try us east/west or middle east. Then again if you manage to get an instance, you'll most likely be suspended without oracle citing any reason.

Already have a yearly and what I need. Just want to pick a good region given you can only pick once with Oracle. Just to play around and test stuff. Nonprod stuff. I updated my post with link and more context.

Appreciate the input. If you can share anything in specific US regions, that would be awesome.

@Neoon said:
    The best locations are usually out of stock and full with people using scripts to grab one.
    But best of luck.

I updated my post with the different region options. Which ones are the best in your opinion? Appreciate the input.

@dosai said:
    Hyderabad is good. I haven't faced any issues so far. Solid uptime of over 2 years.

This is good to know. I want to select a US region though. I am sure many other readers will find this valuable.

• For better connectivity I would recomment San Jose or Chicago, from Asia to Europe are all doing pretty good

• balloonballoon Member
    edited December 2023

@nikozin said:
    singapore, japan are always unavailable, you could try us east/west or middle east. Then again if you manage to get an instance, you'll most likely be suspended without oracle citing any reason.

I use Tokyo, Japan. The Arm Ampere A1 Compute is often out of stock. AMD Compute VM is always available.

• I like Zurich because they don’t care about public torrents

• @jmaxwell said:
    I like Zurich because they don’t care about public torrents

Really?!?

Thanked by 1totally_not_banned
  • ErisaErisa Member
    edited December 2023

Anecdotally I've heard Ashburn is better for capacity than some of the west coast locations so if eastbcoast is fine that may be a good choice. Stay far away from San Jose if you want capacity.

Myself I have London which I haven't had issues with.

• @nikozin said:

Zurich is always unavaliable as well

• @Erisa said:
    Anecdotally I've heard Ashburn is better for capacity than some of the west coast locations so if eastbcoast is fine that may be a good choice. Stay far away from San Jose if you want capacity.

London is always in stock

Thanked by 2Erisa darkimmortal
  • @huntercop said:

@jmaxwell said:
    I like Zurich because they don’t care about public torrents

Really?!?

Been over an year. Maybe I just got lucky

• Netherlands Northwest (Amsterdam) used to be available for the longest time, now I can't get a single core of arm.

• @Erisa said:

Are you stateside? I have debated London since I hear a lot of no issues from everyone.

• @huntercop said:

@Erisa said:

Are you stateside? I have debated London since I hear a lot of no issues from everyone.

No I'm not which is why mine is not in the US, I didn't pick it based off capacity. I have just heard a lot of things from a lot of people the past years. As others note, London is good if you value spare capacity.

• I use Sydney and I've never had a problem - running one ARM instance and two AMD ones.

• @huntercop said:
    Hey all,

I plan to try Oracle free tier. I hear you can only pick your region for the servers once. Any recommendations on which region is best?

I see in the US, Ashburn, Chicago and Phoenix have extra resources compared to others.
    https://docs.oracle.com/en-us/iaas/Content/General/Concepts/regions.htm

Best defined by best availability, less likely to be reclaimed by oracle, reliable and no issues. Feel free to share anything else one should look out for. Plan to use this to test stuff. Not production.

Also if you can only create two block volumes for storage. Does that mean you can only create two VPS’? Curious if one could divide resources and have 2 AMD and 4 AMP at once.

Thanks

Good luck! I've been trying to create an account since ages. Used multiple cards, no use.

Do update here once account created

• fanfan Veteran

South Korean locations are mostly OOS too.

• huntercophuntercop Member
    edited December 2023

I got out of stock for Ashburn after signing up. I did pay as you go to just get resources and move on since oracle makes it hard.

I always get estimates like an ARM with 3OCPU and 8GB of ram is 20-30$ a month. I don’t think I’ll be charged if I stay within the limits. Is that right?

• Always Free is only available in your first-choice region. If you try getting the same resources in another region, it'll cost you.

On the other hand, it shouldn't show you an estimate of xx dollars if they were truly free. I just tried and the estimation showed $0.00 after selecting an Always Free shape.