Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Runcloud vs ServerAvatar vs Enhance vs CloudPanel in 2024
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

Runcloud vs ServerAvatar vs Enhance vs CloudPanel in 2024

Hello,
I'm mainly a web designer/developper.
I would like to start to charge my clients for the hosting, mainly small and medium wordpress sites. (max 500 users).

I've got a little experience in servers, so I don't want to get a dedi :tired_face:

A low cost automatic backup can be nice. (Even If I'm usually doing mine manually.)

I wish to get some feedbacks from someone who tested at least two solutions. (I just tryed runcloud for dev websites from now).

I just get an OVH cloud 2vcpu now to use with.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• Runcloud and ServerAvatar are awesome

Thanked by 1pixluser
  • @tiendungdev said:
    Runcloud and ServerAvatar are awesome

Between both, what's your preference?

• You might want to install YunoHost (https://www.yunohost.org) to manage your server.

Then you can install Wordpress using Yunohost.
    https://apps.yunohost.org/app/wordpress

Then you might want to install Borg using Yunohost to automatically backup your server.
    https://apps.yunohost.org/app/borg

Thanked by 2pixluser mrTom
  • febryanvaldofebryanvaldo Member
    edited December 2023

ServerAvatar / RunCloud / Ploi is one of the best. CloudPanel is FREE, so you cannot compare free and paid ones.

But personally i use WordOps and Cyberpanel, both are working well for personal website.

Thanked by 1pixluser
  • ServerAvatar password reset doesn't even work. I can't login to my account 😂

• @bandwidthking said:
    You might want to install YunoHost (https://www.yunohost.org) to manage your server.

Then you can install Wordpress using Yunohost.
    https://apps.yunohost.org/app/wordpress

Then you might want to install Borg using Yunohost to automatically backup your server.
    https://apps.yunohost.org/app/borg

Thanks, it's true it's good, but for free projects I guess. I tryed it one time as a local server software, but for my need I preferred Cyberpanel for my auto-hosting onto an hypervisor on a NUC.

But now it's for commercial projects, and clients. So I guess I need something more precise.

• pixluserpixluser Member
    edited December 2023

@febryanvaldo said:
    ServerAvatar / RunCloud / Ploi is one of the best. CloudPanel is FREE, so you cannot compare free and paid ones.

But personally i use WordOps and Cyberpanel, both are working well for personal website.

WordOps seem very usefull for deploying dev servers.

Runcloud is working well, but on the free version the security isn't included. (I can add it maybe later). I think it's a bad choice to not included it… for next clients…

CloudPanel seem quite perfect for me, I would love to know if people using it for their clients too. Because I don't care paying a bit for that to start (like runcloud) for security.

• @dosai said:
    ServerAvatar password reset doesn't even work. I can't login to my account 😂

:D :'(

• @pixluser said:

@tiendungdev said:
    Runcloud and ServerAvatar are awesome

Between both, what's your preference?

I am currently using and enjoying FastPanel

I also use ServerAvatar for 1 VPS, I also use CyberPanel :v

Each thing has its good points

• +1 cloudpanel

Thanked by 2pixluser nyamenk
  • If I have an WordPress website I would pick a solution which has OpenLiteSpeed at least.

• @COLBYLICIOUS said:
    If I have an WordPress website I would pick a solution which has OpenLiteSpeed at least.

And some ram too. I heard it need more ram than the litespeed version.

• @tiendungdev said:

For stability which one your choose?
    Maybe because of my lack of knowledge but CyberPanel, wasn't the best for me.

• Or you can try HestiaCP its free and WP just works
    I've been using RunCloud pretty smooth for the past 3 years

Thanked by 1pixluser
  • edited December 2023

Runcloud is pretty awesome. Really intuitive and even on the medium tier ($15), you can connect unlimited servers. I trust Runcloud in production environments and they have a great integrated backup solution and can even connect external storage including pCloud. It. You can choose stacks from NGINX, NGINX/Apache Hybrid that lets you use htaccess or OpenLiteSpeed. The NGINX stacks can be hosted on a native server environment, or the newer dockerized environment.

In my experience, the most performant setup is the pure NGINX setup. You lose out on htaccess but I have only ever needed that to configure a multisite environment. This is a pain if you don't know how to write NGINX rewrite rules but Runcloud allows you to configure the type of multisite (subdirectory or subdomain) and has a cheat list of NGINX rewrite rules that you can apply from the interface.

And there's more - Runcloud even have an SDK so if you want to develop your own API to integrate into your website, its possible and their API documents are pretty comprehensive.

I also use Enhance - this is brilliant for shared hosting and from a price perspective better than other panels. You can connect unlimited servers with their $5.99 starter plan and pay per website - I think you start paying $0.15 per website after the first 30 websites if my calculations are correct. With 500 websites you would be looking at around $75 per month but the sites could be on different VPSs if that is a consideration for you.

I use Enhance for the general websites and Runcloud for performance websites.
    Enhance offers email and DNS hosting that Runcloud doesn't. It also offers fairly comprehensive API docs that feel like they would be easy to integrate. Enhance's backup system is fantastic but you require an additional VPS with block storage attached for this.

I did try serveravatar once but couldn't get my server to connect so have no experience beyond that. I do use Cloudpanel and like the integrated Varnish caching (which also comes with a WordPress repository plugin). You can integrate it with Docker if you use that and has a built-in reverse proxy system for SSL certificates for dockerized apps. It's free and it's nice to play with but I don't know if I could trust it in a production environment and its interface looks a little dated.

If you are prepared for a little extra server management and your clients can manage without email hosting then Runclouds $15 per month is much more attractive than Enhance's $75. All websites can be hosted over an unlimited number of servers with both price plans.
    Or get both and use Enhance for clients that want email hosting. You will pay $21 per month (and your first 30 Enhance sites included).

If I had to choose, I wouldn't want to live without Runcloud :heart:

• NeoonNeoon Community Contributor, Veteran

Panel is just overhead and an additional security risk, especially if its hosted by a 3rd party.

Thanked by 1pixluser
  • @pixluser said:

@tiendungdev said:

For stability which one your choose?
    Maybe because of my lack of knowledge but CyberPanel, wasn't the best for me.

If we talk about stability

• Runcloud
    • FastPanel free, the team is great
  • @Neoon said:
    Panel is just overhead and an additional security risk, especially if its hosted by a 3rd party.

Yes, and it's sometimes it's very easy to be hacked. So 100% no http interface at all for you for managing servers? What do you use?

• Tried most popular panels. Most are fine. For one particular badly optimized WP site with big traffic spikes, none of them, including CloudPanel with Varnish, could support it. Even after some tweaking, it made it better, but always just a question of when it’ll crash next.

Runcloud, with their caching, has worked flawlessly, zero issues and no custom tweaks applied at all. I’m very happy spending $80 a year on it, or whatever the price is.

Thanked by 1pixluser
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@Neoon said:

No.

That’d be true in a nutshell if everyone’s manual setup would be the same as that performed by a panel.

Thanked by 1DanSummer
  • @meditatingsurgeon said:
    Runcloud is pretty awesome. Really intuitive and even on the medium tier ($15), you can connect unlimited servers.

Thank for you quality review.
    I'll probably start with the 8$ option. But this formula, I don't get the security from scratch. (and I think it's so stupid…) Do you think I can still add it (without too much drawbacks, and still get some something stable? and still upgradable later into the 15$ solution too? If the business works well)
    This 8$ formula, is still good for productions servers do you think?

Thanks a lot!

@pixluser said:

@Neoon said:

Yes, and it's sometimes it's very easy to be hacked. So 100% no http interface at all for you for managing servers? What do you use?

my Terminal.

@emgh said:

@Neoon said:

No.

That’d be true in a nutshell if everyone’s manual setup would be the same as that performed by a panel.

Kinda, if you install something like VestaCP, it does all the install for you.
    Yes you have less work, updates can be done with ansible for example.

Still, overhead.

• @Neoon I’ve seen a lot of servers without panels in WAY worse shape compared to servers with panels.

We’re talking old ass centos servers with Apache & untouched since start

Had those people used RunCloud with its automatic security updates, sure, they would still have been running outdated Kernels, but hundreds of packages would have been up-to-date instead of ancient

Yes, you can turn on automatic security updates without a panel, but same thing goes: People don’t

So I’m not so sure anymore that panels are always bloat making stuff less secure. That’s true in a nutshell but not in reality. At least that’s my obersation looking at other people’s servers

@emgh said:
    @Neoon I’ve seen a lot of servers without panels in WAY worse shape compared to servers with panels.

We’re talking old ass centos servers with Apache & untouched since start

Had those people used RunCloud with its automatic security updates, sure, they would still have been running outdated Kernels, but hundreds of packages would have been up-to-date instead of ancient

Yes, you can turn on automatic security updates without a panel, but same thing goes: People don’t

So I’m not so sure anymore that panels are always bloat making stuff less secure. That’s true in a nutshell but not in reality. At least that’s my obersation looking at other people’s servers

If you just buy a server, to host you personal blog.
    Then use RunCloud I guess.

However, you could also rent webspace, so you don't have to update anything.
    But if you a bit more into linux, then you can manage to keep it patched.

Apache, my condolences.

Thanked by 1emgh
  • emghemgh Member
    edited December 2023

@Neoon The site I mentioned before I actually tried to put in a web host. My goal was to minimize work. I tried Ramnode as their shared hosting has been good but no matter what I tried visitor spikes always crashed it

Support basically said that their shared hosting won’t handle it

So I think there’s a time and place for them (panels)

But yeah if you have the time, for sure, self manage and do it just like you like it. I do this with most of my servers, just not 100 %. Not for the stuff too big for shared but too small for my undivided attention

• The worst server I’ve ssh’d to ran CentOS Web Panel though. It was bad

• Directadmin

@emgh said:
    @Neoon The site I mentioned before I actually tried to put in a web host. My goal was to minimize work. I tried Ramnode as their shared hosting has been good but no matter what I tried visitor spikes always crashed it

Support basically said that their shared hosting won’t handle it

So I think there’s a time and place for them (panels)

But yeah if you have the time, for sure, self manage and do it just like you like it. I do this with most of my servers, just not 100 %. Not for the stuff too big for shared but too small for my undivided attention

Shared Hosting as a lot of limits, you might be not aware of.
    That in the end could cost you an arm an a leg.

• These control panels don't exactly fall in the low-end category.

$15 per month, we have an yearly VPS for that price here on LET

Sorry, I'll pass

• @pixluser said: This 8$ formula, is still good for productions servers do you think?

Hi @pixluser - Yes, the functionality with the $8 is the same as the $15 plan. The main difference is you can connect one versus unlimited servers. You only have 2GB storage with the starter plan vs. 10GB with mid-tier - you can buy extra from $2 per month or add your own. And you don't have cloning functionality with the starter plan.

Runcloud lets you upgrade/downgrade at any time. I would trust Runcloud servers with production websites.

Thanked by 2emgh pixluser