Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BGP Sessions
New on LowEndTalk? Please Register and read our Community Rules.

All new Registrations are manually reviewed and approved, so a short delay after registration may occur before your account becomes active.

BGP Sessions

I have seen a lot of offers including BGP sessions or providers saying they're working on getting BGP sessions automated and available. I have tried to google BGP sessions, but I am struggling to comprehend it, and I don't understand the use case for an end user of a low end service. Can someone help explain it to me?

Thanked by 1jokotan

Comments

• for low end services its mostly hobbynets who don't have a life and want to learn stuff. BGP is the protocol the whole Internet is built opon so its a cool tech to learn.

Thanked by 2sycot sillycat
  • other than being able to "mess around with it" does it provide any concrete benefit to the service?

Thanked by 1jokotan
  • yoursunnyyoursunny Member, IPv6 Advocate

@sycot said:
    other than being able to "mess around with it" does it provide any concrete benefit to the service?

It allows @Cloudie to collect $25 from each person at RIPE's expense.

Thanked by 1brueggus
  • CacheGenieCacheGenie Member, Patron Provider

@sycot said:
    other than being able to "mess around with it" does it provide any concrete benefit to the service?

Simply put, a BGP Session allows you to announce your own IP Space with your service provider, for the purpose of using your own IPs on their services.

• JosephFJosephF Member
    edited December 2023

@yoursunny said:

@sycot said:

How is it at the expense of RIPE (or ARIN, for that matter)?

• CacheGenieCacheGenie Member, Patron Provider
    edited December 2023

@josephf said:

@yoursunny said:

@sycot said:

How is it at the expense of RIPE (or ARIN, for that matter)?

Presumably @Cloudie provides LIR Services, which allows someone to setup their own (Sponsored) ASN. LIRs usually charge a small fee for this service.

Thanked by 1yoursunny
  • vsys_hostvsys_host Member, Patron Provider

Agree with @CacheGenie
    You do not need it if you haven't your own IP range, and you definitely need it if you have your own IP

Thanked by 1CacheGenie